Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2011---> 2017

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I have max 2011 but I am trying the new 2017 and I am having a little dificult time as seems a lot of things had been shifted  changed etc ...
If is ok I woul dlike to use this thread to post some of the questions I might have when trying to align my experience with the first to the second.

SO  I was looking at this Opensubdiv modifier in this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFckVSyvVy4 , There its called Opensubdiv- MPS and has a lot of functions but in max 2017 I find only very few, also I tried to follow the same the tut, and when he uses weights in the underlying dit poly , when I do nothing happens, only crease up or down works , any ideas why or what I am doing wrong?
https://gyazo.com/2d8740bffaea1cfa6131d5982fec3de6

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Opensubdiv - MPS is a plugin. It doesn't ship with Max and hasn't been recompiled for 2017 so you'll have to use the regular modifier in conjunction with the Crease Set modifier, which works hand in hand with the OSD mod.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok but then whats weight difference with crease for? 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA said:
    Ok but then whats weight difference with crease for? 
    I'm not sure what you mean. If you use the Crease Set mod you don't have to adjust weights at the editable poly level, you do it in the Crease Set modifier.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes I dont , because it acts on the crease but , if I dont use in the poly mod there is also weight that seemto have no effect at all .
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to add selections of edges to a 'Crease set' that you create, and then adjust the parameter for each set. I'll have a quick tutorial on my channel soon so I'll let you know.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hi , I was following this other tutorial , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYxHYpHH5NM about using swift loop and align the loop to the uneven line , it says to press cntrl and alt and then drag with left click but it doesn't work to me , is there perhaps another way ?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The old school way to it is to turn on edge constraints and drag the loop all the way into the loop you want to align to, then when you pull it back out it should be parallel. Although, it won't work every time.

When you say the swift loop feature 'doesn't work for you', what do you mean? Is your 3dsMax different than mine? :) All tools don't work the same in all situations. It depends on your topology. Once you understand what the topology is doing you will better understand the tools.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    The old school way to it is to turn on edge constraints and drag the loop all the way into the loop you want to align to, then when you pull it back out it should be parallel. Although, it won't work every time.

When you say the swift loop feature 'doesn't work for you', what do you mean? Is your 3dsMax different than mine? :) All tools don't work the same in all situations. It depends on your topology. Once you understand what the topology is doing you will better understand the tools.
    I did press cntrl and alt and then I click left click on mouse and drag when I leave the click it drops a loop that is not aligned at all , so not sure if I am making somethign wrong , I am using max 2017.