Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: rikcharr

rikcharr
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rikcharr polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone,
Thanks for stopping by! I decided to make a sketchbook to help me keep track of my work and improvement. Any criticism you want to give is appreciated.

This first post was just a piece to practice my highpoly modeling skills. I found it half finished and buried in the depths of my hard drive; rusting away and forgotten to time. So I dusted it off, completed the model, and rendered it to show here. Enough of my ramblings. On to the art!

Wireframes for those of you that are interested.
Front
Back

Replies

• Araymous
    Offline / Send Message
    Araymous polycounter lvl 4
    I like how sleek & detailed the Aston Martin looks, if you can you should put some textures on it to give that finishing touch, but its up to you. Do add a number plate at the back & the emblem of the Aston martin badge(on the back of the fin, above where the number plate goes) just like you did in the front.

All & all, its a very impressive model, keep it up! :)
  • gonzo_3d
    Offline / Send Message
    gonzo_3d polycounter lvl 6
    I could be all wet, but it looks to me like a fair amount of floating geo. Any reason you chose to do that instead of cutting forms in?

I'm looking at the tailpipes, license plate region. Not a critique, just curious.

Agree with Araymous - keep working/posting!
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Araymous: Not sure how I missed the emblem on the back. Good eye!
    gonzo_3d: The floating geo is the side mirrors, side trim (in front of the doors), badges, diffusers, headlight covers and insides, exhaust pipes, glass, trunk lid, doors and hood. The trunk, hood and doors are separate so that they could, in theory, be animated. The other pieces are floating because it is faster to work that way with no quality degradation. It also makes it easier for another person to work on the file in a group setting since there are fewer edge loops and verts.

I added the rear badges, number plates, and panel cuts to the DBS.

Decided to go in a different direction tonight. Since I haven't really ever done a painted texture I found a tutorial and used it to help me texture a barrel. Got some seems in the spec map, but I'm to tired to try and fix it now.

• rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Been away for a few days and all I got was this rock.

Trying to teach myself CryEngine 3 as well.

• rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, it's been awhile. Hopefully I'll be adding more content here from now on.

I was browsing through some threads and found this. I thought some of the shields looked like fun. A few technical difficulties latter and I wound up with this.

BZ7NoNF.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to do more shields or not, probably will.

Also, an arm. Because why not.

A8stzbb.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the block out for another one of the shields.

15XgoAl.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time to work on the highpoly. It still needs some work, but it's getting there.

wGRaV4Q.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    OLcDv7y.jpg

The texture is pretty bad, but I haven't fully grasped UE4's rendering yet.

That and I need to work on my texturing in general.
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    dcLlQoo.jpg

6QDRLMK.jpg

Still messing with UE4 and PBR workflows. I think I need to make roughness maps a little more pronounced and varied.
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Wj161LR.jpg

cGJLKV9.jpg

Played around in Zbursh for a little while. I didn't spend that long on this, more a workflow study than anything else. But, still thought it was worth posting here.

Even if it is rather hideous.
  • rikcharr
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm giving this month's Community Noob Challenge a bash. Hopefully I can get it done by the end of the month. Until then, most of the updates here are going to be crossposts from the main thread, might still be a few others if I get ambitious. First is my progress on the blockout.

p2fb2Qc.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Floor material for the Noob Challenge.

SIBJd5g.jpg
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    So I failed to complete the April Noob Challenge in time. It was mostly due to lack of discipline if I'm being honest, though getting sick this week didn't help either. I still want to finish the project, so I'll be posting updates here starting with the current state of the piece. Please chime in with any crits that you have.

oaoXU0J.jpg
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man sorry you couldn't finish the concept in time. If you're still going to continue with it, here are some crits:

The room is a bit too wide, the room in the concept looks around 4m wide or so but yours is looking a bit more.
    I can't comment on the textures yet because they aren't done yet or are placeholders, I expect you'll add a mask to the brick paint shader to get rid of that blurry blending.

Also the dirt on the upper pipes look very repetitive, really caught my eye there. Fix the color scheme and you'll be back on track with the concept. Good luck!
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy - Thanks! I really wasn't expecting anyone to comment from the main thread. Yeah, my room is a bit wider. I think it is around 4.5 meters in the image above. I narrowed it after I read your post and it does feel better. Originally, it was wider because I thought if was to claustrophobic but looking at the concept now I realize the intimacy is what gives it the atmosphere.

The pipes were supper rushed. I just wanted to get something on them and continue to try and get the piece done, but now that the challenge deadline is over I'm going to take more time to refine as I make individual elements.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted starting to mess around with pixel art a bit so I followed a tutorial over on the pixel art thread to make a boulder.  The right is the original size of 64x64 and the one on the left is enlarged to 256x256.

• rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit.  50 months.  50 months of me forgetting and neglecting any form of "my craft".  7 years to the day since I finished my degree at an art "college".  5 years since I stopped having any interest in the games industry/market.  So why?  Why after all this time did I pick it up again?  I don't know.  Maybe I felt some form of obligation to myself to make it right.  Maybe it was the 3 year old article I read by Noah Bradley.  In any case, I spent the last 21 days forcing myself to draw for at least an hour.  I would like to think I'll keep it up.  I really would.  But given my track record, this might very well be my last post.  Perhaps my best use is as a cautionary tail against apathy and the death of passion.  Don't be like me.  Keep doing what you do.  Don't lose heart.  Don't give up.

• rikcharr
    Offline / Send Message
    Some painting practice I did last year and never posted.  A blue rose and a portrait of my then girlfriend.  The rose was done in Photoshop and  the portrait was done in ArtRage 5.  I suck and had to use the color picker to sample from the photo the portrait is based on.