Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FN P90

Nerono
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nerono polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone, in this thread I will upload my progress modeling the FN P90 using maya 2016. 
I have small experience with how guns operate and built. I made a blockout in photoshop, please check if its correct and if I am missing any parts. 
Original reference pictures: 

Blockout: 

To clarify, this is not the only reference I am using, a good source for reference is: http://deicidenbf.thanez.net/
also, I have marked areas I would like to know more about. The most right arrow, points on a hole on the frame, whats its purpose? Also, the most left arrow and the middle one point at two places I am not sure what there function is. the middle one points at a hole, is there a purpose for it being there? and the left one points at a part I have no clue for why is it there. thank you for the help :)

Replies

• Sam Leheny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Leheny polycounter lvl 9
    I don't much care for guns, but the fn-p90 is a handsome firearm.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    You've got the parts of this weapon blocked out very well. It might be worth playing the World of Guns: Disassembly game, as it features the P90 which you can easily take apart, and look into how it's put together.
    And which part of you referring to in your question? Can you mark it? I know a little about how the P90 works, but  I need something a bit more specific in order to help you out.

This is one of my favourite weapons, so I look forward to seeing how you progress with this one.
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    I actually made the FN P90 as my capstone in a breakdown V-Ray animation (http://i.imgur.com/x2CxDYr.jpg) and have been reworking it to make it a game asset while learning a 3DS Max to ZBrush workflow. (http://i.imgur.com/hozX8zd.png) This is where I'm at now, but I need to go back and refine a couple things.

It seems as though you have all of the pieces. You may want to bake the Butt Plate in with the rest of the frame. Same with the Bottom Magazine Plate. Good luck with this and I look forward to seeing your progress. If you have any questions to the functioning of this weapon feel free to ask, as this does not work like any other firearm out there.
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    BetaRazer said:
    You've got the parts of this weapon blocked out very well. It might be worth playing the World of Guns: Disassembly game, as it features the P90 which you can easily take apart, and look into how it's put together.
    And which part of you referring to in your question? Can you mark it? I know a little about how the P90 works, but  I need something a bit more specific in order to help you out.

This is one of my favourite weapons, so I look forward to seeing how you progress with this one.

I hope this helps, and I do own World of Guns: Disassembly, thank you for commenting :)
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    I actually made the FN P90 as my capstone in a breakdown V-Ray animation (http://i.imgur.com/x2CxDYr.jpg) and have been reworking it to make it a game asset while learning a 3DS Max to ZBrush workflow. (http://i.imgur.com/hozX8zd.png) This is where I'm at now, but I need to go back and refine a couple things.

It seems as though you have all of the pieces. You may want to bake the Butt Plate in with the rest of the frame. Same with the Bottom Magazine Plate. Good luck with this and I look forward to seeing your progress. If you have any questions to the functioning of this weapon feel free to ask, as this does not work like any other firearm out there.
    Your work is great! thank you for the advice :)
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    Nerono said:
    BetaRazer said:

I hope this helps, and I do own World of Guns: Disassembly, thank you for commenting :)
    I'll start from left to right:
    Upper left part is a screw that attaches the optic sight/rail to the upper receiver.
    Centre part is actually a hole, mostly likely for slings to pass through.
    Lower right highlighted is actually a narrow hole/insert built both sides of the cover.

Hopefully that helps you develop this further.
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
     Here is my blockout so far, I am not sure if the proportions are right, thank you for the help :) 

• Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everyone, I am not sure about the proportions, I really need help with the proportions in order to continue, thank you for the help :)
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    JoshuaG said:
    In case you're interested, there is an upper-receiver conversion for the AR-15 known as the AR-57, so you can use P90 mags.

I suggest you should model the bullet first to the exact dimensions, so that way you can get the magazine size more accurate. Therefore the rest of your weapon should be a bit more accurate due to the distortion of the images.

That is an amazing idea! thank you very much :) 
    and why did you mention that there is a conversion for the AR-15 that allows it to use P90 Magazines? thank you for sharing but I am really not sure of the purpose of sharing this information
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG makes a good point about starting with the bullet to maintain proportions throughout. You should also match your reference plane up with the real world size of the P90. It's a decent block out, but it needs to be a lot more rounded. You're also missing a lot of the finer details which may be because this is a rough block out, but I find that it is easier to build those in from the start. I will attempt to do a paint over once I get home tonight if you'd like. Keep up the work man, excited to see how this will come out.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8

Can't find a larger version of this :(
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    JoshuaG said:
    too much haha, thank you for sharing though
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5

JoshuaG makes a good point about starting with the bullet to maintain proportions throughout. You should also match your reference plane up with the real world size of the P90. It's a decent block out, but it needs to be a lot more rounded. You're also missing a lot of the finer details which may be because this is a rough block out, but I find that it is easier to build those in from the start. I will attempt to do a paint over once I get home tonight if you'd like. Keep up the work man, excited to see how this will come out. 

the Reference images are at real world size, using Wikipedia specifications. Could you please point out which finer detail were you talking about? It is not round atm because I want to keep it as basic as possible. I am really waiting for the paint over, that would be really great. I followed JoshuaG advice and here are images showing the bullet. the bullet was built using Wikipedia specifications. 

• Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    JoshuaG said:
    Your magazine might be a tad too thick based on the bullet.

You should also check out gun forums and ask for dimensions. I know /r/guns or /r/firearms would definitely be able to give you some measurements if you ask.

Thank you for the suggestion, I shall post a thread on reddit.
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the wait on this. I went ahead and did a quick paintover of some key areas that might be problematic. Overall for a block out it's headed in the right direction, and as you continue to press forward Ill be able to help you more and more with it.

Also, I look at the art of Tim Bergholz for reference  and inspiration, and it just so happens he worked on a P90 (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6NwXw). And if you need any more reference images, check this page out (http://deicidenbf.thanez.net/). I also keep references on my Pinterest page for things I have worked on or wish to (https://www.pinterest.com/mattvaughn12/fn-p90/). I hope this helps any. I look forward to seeing how you progress and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.