Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WXS-07 'Depopulator'

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
musashidan high dynamic range
EDIT: please refer here to the clone thread link at ZbrushCentral as photobucket fucked me.  http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?200015-WXS-07-Depopulator

This is a personal project I've been working on - on and off - for the last couple of months. When I started it was with the aim of creating an entire hard-surface character completely in Zbrush without falling back on the 3dsMax crutch.
I found an interesting concept by Jerad Marantz, and decided to go with it. It's just a single front perspective sketch so I had to design/improvise the rest.

I'm just going to use this thread as a kind of progress report/process on how I created the project. I thought it might be of interest to any beginners or lurkers. :)

The original character is a 'Marauder' from the Thor universe, so as the initial challenge turned to a full-blown project the character background evolved. There are several Latin derivitives of the word marauder: preadator, and the word I chose for the character, depopulator. So this led to the background story........(which is always a good idea as it often drives your design decisions)

It is the cliched near-future. Earth's population has tripled again, and is untenable. Governments have banded together to brainstorm on a 'final solution'.........Sci-Corp win the lucrative contract....

Sci-Corp Industries has been commissioned to engineer a depopulation strategy with little allowance for liberal footnotes. A drastic measure has been devised: 7 foot tall, genetically engineered mutant-cyborgs!

Enter WXS-07(weaponised-xtreme-system) - cognomen Depopulator. Latest prototype.

I started with a pre-built basemesh and just pulled the forms around to define the silhouette. This initial 'clay' can be anything really, a sphere, a Zsphere, whatever. It's not important as I'm just looking for the initial forms/silhouette. Then it's on to Dynamesh concept sculpting.

I just use the basic brushes in the image above plus snakehook and a variation in the clay brushes.
It's mostly just carving/building out forms, sketching placeholders, and pulling things around. The process
is loose and at no time am I being too precious or needlessly noodling on specific parts, which just stunts
the process and wastes time needlessly. This is just the concept and will eventually be retopologised
for the clean, final result.

More to follow soon.....

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Once the concept sculpt is complete it's on to retopolgy. There are several ways to do this in Zbrush: Zsphere topo, Topology brush, Zremesher. I mostly used Zsphere topo as the aim is to create the silhouette of each piece of armour with very sparse topology and use creasing/subdivide/Zremesh for the final sculptable topology.

And I also used the slice curve/Zremesh method for some parts

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Nice concept, really looking forward for this, also love those breakdowns.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @kohg More breakdowns to come....

Creating the arms was just a matter of drawing out the parts with the curvetubes brush and using move topological(or mask by polygroups) to tweak the layout. Then I deleted the backfacing geo for easy unwrap and added extra detail using Zmodeler.
     For the interlocking armour sections I created a simple insert mesh brush and positioned them the same.

Here's another piece done using simple Zsphere topo and Zmodeler to add detail:

And the final sculpted result below. Because I used a combination of Zbrush detailing and Substance Painter normal map detailing it was
    important to set up a workflow that resulted in sculptable topology that was fast to achieve for each piece(nearly 40 in all) and avoided
    unnecessary complex manual retop that wouldn't have served as good sculptable topology unless a lot of time was taken to build it to
    suit sculpting. Plus as the pieces were built with no backfaces/thickness this makes it much easier to unwrap(all of which was done
    directly in UVMaster) Lastly I decimated with 'keep UVs' checked and the asset is ready for texture painting.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    The Zsphere topo/Zmodeler/Crease/Zremesh method I used for the majority of the objects can be found in part 2 of this 3-part vid tutorial series I have on my YT channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UPK-FXROE

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    And also the SliceCurve/Zremesh method is shown(also on my channel) here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtGEghClPsw

And here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYVd4RPvig

• melli06
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    Sweet, looking forward to this guys future! Seriously thanks for all the tutorials man! :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @melli06 Cheers mate. And you're welcome on the tutorials.

Early in the process of turning the rough concept sculpt into finished pieces I began working on the head sculpt. The head started life as a trusty sphere, and was then dynameshed.

Usually as a sculpt progresses I will work at a very low-res most of the way through, Zremeshing when I can't get the forms I want with the topology I have. I always work low like this and only go up to a higher res when refining the forms and adding tertiary details. I see a lot of beginners in Zbrush
    jumping up to a ridiculous high-res when they haven't even got the basic forms in place. My rule of thumb - both for hardsurface modeling and organic sculpting - is : only add geometry when you can't get the forms with the geometry you currently have. The great thing about Zbrush is that the tools and
    workflow work so non-destructively that you can change or revert this stuff any time you want, duplicating subtools and re-projecting all day long. :)

As the back part of the head was going to be under the helmet it didn't need the same density for sculpting, but I still wanted geometry
    there for SSS shading/lighting in the final render, This is where polypaint density comes in handy.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    It was important to sculpt the head with the finished helmet/headgear pieces in place as it had to look like the flesh
    was being compressed .

When sculpting organics I have a few matcaps that I switch between, and I will always use the Basic material as it reacts to Zbrush's interactive
    light. I can't stress how important this is when sculpting as a lot of the matcaps won't give you a true representation of your sculpt. Sculpting
    is essentially manipulating how light and shadow falls on your sculpt. So it is imperative the light is constantly moved around to check how the forms
    react.
    This is one of the best things for me about the Keyshot bridge. It allows me to instantly check my forms under true, physical 3D lighting.

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Dammit, I just love chubby tank characters haha... subbed, it's worth adding the Gears of War locust to your reference bin since there are a few of them that fit this silhouette quite well and should feed you some additional ideas whilst developing this (Y)

As for the concept of this... I'll be honest and say without the description/back story provided, you wouldn't be able to tell this character is somewhat under human influence... mainly because I guess people would assume if a human built a freaky ass cyborg to contain over population on the planet... they probably would have built something a little more relative to human features itself... but that aside I won't knit pick on that since it's just an idea... what I would want to knit pick on is that the design itself doesn't quite support the backstory as it generally looks like it's an alien in a EXO Suit which would fit the description of a villain looking to dominate this galaxy.
    My suggestion is maybe have a few more elements to the design that explain and support the purpose of this character... If it's supposed to be on the evil side of humanity (I'm assuming so please forgive me if I misunderstood your plot) then add some relative to bonds traits e.g.... In any story and almost every futuristic story.. america is the leading front for it, so maybe even some USA flag or army/government prints or elements would be of use... maybe a army dog tag print or something similar (don't quote me) it's just some random ideas to help you think of something else haha.

Other than that I wouldn't say there's much else I'd critique on atm... execution looks good so far (Y)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    That's a very cute grumpy head. Nice writeups as well
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kid.in.the.Dark Thanks for the feedback/ideas. My influence comes more from near-future Japanese films: GITS/Appleseed/Akira/etc, rather than American storylines. I love how bizarre/completely alien a lot of the Japanese character designs are. The style isn't concerned with trying to 'humanise' characters for the sake of audience connection, as is often the case with American film. And I suppose I just followed that philosophy myself, for better or worse. :)  I didn't actually use any reference apart from the concept itself. Not always a good idea but I wanted to try and design the parts I couldn't see on-the-fly as I sculpted the concept mesh.
    As the character is fully modeled/textured already and this is more of a post project writeup I will say that I've textured him in a military style, replete with insignia, so we're in sync on this one. :)

@Amsterdam Hilton Hotel Haha! Yes, he does look like somebody just burnt his toast alright. Thanks for the comment.
  • Kihlstrand
    Offline / Send Message
    Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
    Love this! Really nice of you sharing the breakdown! Gonna keep watching. :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Love this! Really nice of you sharing the breakdown! Gonna keep watching. :)
    Cheers  mate. More breakdowns to come....;)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I forgot to mention earlier - that is particularly important on these forums;) - is the step in the process that derives the game asset:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    As I mentioned earlier, all Zremeshed parts were unwrapped directly in Zbrush using UVmaster. A simple one-click job as
    the parts were all single-sided geometry(no thickness) I didn't in this case - as each part had its own texture sheet - but
    the UVs from UVmaster can easily be tweaked/scaled/normalised/combined/etc in your 3D application later on.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    And here are some clay renders of the final model. UV-ed/decimated and ready for texturing in Substance Painter.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Towards the end of the modeling process I started to think of my final illustration. The last few projects I've done, I've taken them straight from Zbrush to Keyshot to render passes, and finish up with a paintover in Photoshop. This process has been popular for a number of years now and can be quite liberating in comparison to days and days of shader look dev/render testing  that often accompanies rendering a straight beauty pass from Vray(with render element passes) The Keyshot process is different(but can be done in any renderer including Zbrush) as I'm just rendering passes of different materials/lighting which will be masked and heavily painted in Photoshop...........So with all that said, this time I decided to return to Vray for the endless hours upon hours of watching tiny render buckets crawl across my screen....:) 

Then I hit a complete spell of indecision on the colour scheme I wanted to go for. I tormented myself and became obsessed to the point of abandoning the project for nearly 2 months as I was not sure what direction in which to take the colouring!! There is so much well-known sci-fi work out there with easily recognisable and iconic colour schemes that this was a much harder decision than I thought. Eventually I settled on the scheme below, having tested the good old orange/white/grey scheme.....the black/red theme.....the blue/yellow theme....and a few others.(another fantastic bonus of SP:trial and error/iteration/realtime colour scheme brainstorming;) )  The military drab olive/yellow/black(and tiny hints of orange, later) worked well for me in the end, I feel. So that 2 months lost wasn't procrastination, it was research, dammit! :)

As crazy/compulsive/ocd as this may seem to some, this was probably the most important point in the project for me and I just refused to continue until I was 100% on the scheme. If you're going to give many, many hours of your life to a personal project, don't rush it. You'll only do it once so make it count.

The primary reason for the choice of rendering in Vray was Substance Painter. As I had the character fully UV-ed, I thought it would be a great opportunity to run the entire lot through SP and see what comes out. Plus I wanted to see what the high-poly workflow would be like and also an excuse to play with the SP Vray export preset.  Here's an early look-dev test with the first iteration of the smart material to test the export preset and set up the basic shader in Vray. This is just with a few base layers and some blocking out/masking.
    And also, a major plus for the texturing/rendering in Vray Vs material render pass comping in something like Keyshot is that you're not locked to a camera view, so you can set up the shot from any perspective and have all that texture detailing for free;) whereas in the other workflow you have to recomp/repaint from scratch for every illustration.

This was a smart material that I built up from scratch in SP. The beauty of it was that I could build this template material and run all the other assets through it, ensuring consistency throughout.(as I think I mentioned earlier there are nearly 40 different armour parts) and because all the parts were still high-poly I couldn't just bring them all in to SP together. But with the smart material I wouldn't have to as I knew it would work seamlessly on all the parts. I'll post up the material tree in a later post.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Vray look-dev test with the SP material taken a little further:

• BrianDolan89
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    This is beautiful so far and I too am a sucker for chubby tanker characters. Great work so far and I look forward to seeing the end result!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @BrianDolan89 Yep, everyone has a fondness for the chunkys, it seems. :) Thanks for the comment.

Some more Substance Painter screengrabs:

And another early Vray look-dev test:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more SP screengrabs:

So by now I'm sure you can see the benefit of creating/using smart materials. Think of texturing an entire game like this, ensuring consistency across all assets with the same material theme. And also the ability to change the colour scheme/dirt/grime/scratches very quickly by just tweaking or enabling/disabling layers.

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    wow, i got me a boner looking at these last pics.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message

@kohg If overweight, heavily-armoured, mutant cyborgs are your thing, mate, who am I too judge? :) At this stage I've been looking at him for so long I get about as excited as someone looking at their wife after 30 years.

more SP pics, a comparison pic from SP viewport to Vray render.....and a shameless plug for a Gumroad tutorial I put together when I finished the texturing........replete with cheesy promo. ;) Gumroad link if anyone's interested https://gumroad.com/musashidan#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCNht6vjoc

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a breakdown of the Smart material and the various channels in SP

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    All the armour pieces are a painted metal material and each one had a metallic mask. I usually start with a mask generator as a base to work from and using some custom brushes/alphas and some of the SP preset brushes I make use of the brilliant feature added recently in SP - the ability to paint directly on masks, as I always hand-paint on every mask generator I create.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    For the project I created a set of simple custom alphas that I used in Zbrush detailing, and SP texturing and normal map painting. I also made a stencil sheet for decal painting. The alphas are easy to create in Photoshop: simple shapes at 512x512 and blurred more/less for softer/sharper transition when stamping. Heightmap alphas can also be created quickly in Zbrush using grabdoc for more detailed stamp details. Or in SP2 a normal map channel can be added which you can bake normal map stamps for.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some of the rubber parts, textured using the same method of a  custom-built Smart material across multiple assets.

And here you can see the normal map details painted to a map directly in Substance Painter. This workflow(and using the heightmaps from ZB) eliminates the need to create floating geometry for baking details to normal maps.

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    For the first time, in a long time, i'm actually considering trying SP out.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg said:
    For the first time, in a long time, i'm actually considering trying SP out.
    You should. It's a fantastic piece of kit.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    When all the armour/suit parts were textured I moved onto texturing/shading the head. Texturing was also done in SP, using the 'airbrush' method.
    This is a popular approach to painting skin/organics and comes from the traditional sculpting/silicon mask-making techniques. Layering on the skin tones using different tones for different regions. This gradual building up of many layers can give quite a natural look and is a quite enjoyable process.
    I painted an epidermal(top layer) and subdermal(tissue below the surface of the skin layer) map, which were piped into the Vray skin material.

I also experimented with painting a base reflection map(mostly derived from an AO/cavity/SSS map ripped from 3dsMax's Render Surface Map tools) which I then duplicated and adjusted in PS for the glossiness map.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Next it's onto shader look-dev in Vray. I always have my scene setup in Max and SP simultaneously, and just paint/adjust/save, test render...tweak shader....paint, adjust, save.....render....tweak shader.... *NOTE*: Just make sure you're not using SP's default .png file format as the .png plugin in Max is broken and the link to SP will not work. I usually use 16bit .tiff

This way you can pretty much get instant feedback on the results. Although I have come to realise that Substance Painter is pretty much a WYSIWYG environment and towards the end I was confident that the results in the Painter viewport are practically 1:1 with Vray. This ends up saving a lot of time as the test render phase can be a long.....long step in a project.

And finally I can see how it's all coming together. I often 'printscreen' renders and paste them to PS for quick adjstments/paintovers
    as this can lead to new ideas, or inspiration.

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool stuff @musashidan
    I looked into your YouTube Channel and i want to ask you if there will be a complete Hard Surface Tutorial soon, maybe on Gumroad?
    I really want to learn more about zBrush and Hard Surface and im searching for dat right Tutorial with normal speed, where everything is explained and commented. The most tutorials are speeded up or without comments and this is really bad.
    A step by step tutorial for a hard surface mesh/robot in zbrush would be awesome and i would pay for it :)
    I like the Mecha Blockout Bust in your HardSurface Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UPK-FXROE  @ 31:58 Min.
    Something like this but completely done with all details :)

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gazu , thanks a lot for the comment. Judging by the quality of the models on your artstation, it doesn't look like you need too much help in modeling hard-surface... :)

But yes, I understand, Zbrush can seem a bit crazy to those of us used to modeling in our traditional 3d packages. I've been using ZB for organics for years but only seriously started to study the hard-surface workflow in the last year or so. It definitely took me a while to get a comfortable workflow going with my 3dsMax mindset. Now with GoZ(and as of today the bridge tool Styx) I pretty much just treat Max/ZB as a single toolset rather than thinking of them as separate packages. This allows for serious modeling options. It's amazing how quickly you can achieve some modeling tasks in ZB, and when coupled with Max's modeling tools....

Anyway, I definitely have a few more Gumroad tutorial courses in mind for the near future. A step-by-step, real-time, narrated mech bust is another I'll certainly consider adding to the list.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    @Gazu , thanks a lot for the comment. Judging by the quality of the models on your artstation, it doesn't look like you need too much help in modeling hard-surface... :)

But yes, I understand, Zbrush can seem a bit crazy to those of us used to modeling in our traditional 3d packages. I've been using ZB for organics for years but only seriously started to study the hard-surface workflow in the last year or so. It definitely took me a while to get a comfortable workflow going with my 3dsMax mindset. Now with GoZ(and as of today the bridge tool Styx) I pretty much just treat Max/ZB as a single toolset rather than thinking of them as separate packages. This allows for serious modeling options. It's amazing how quickly you can achieve some modeling tasks in ZB, and when coupled with Max's modeling tools....

Anyway, I definitely have a few more Gumroad tutorial courses in mind for the near future. A step-by-step, real-time, narrated mech bust is another I'll certainly consider adding to the list.
    Thanks mate!
    A complete Mech Bust from Start to Finish would be great :)
    Yeah, i learned a lot 3DSMAX but i think some things could be done faster and easier in zBrush, for example curved hard surface with a lot of details. Thats the reason why i want to learn zBrush Hard Surface :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu said:
    Thanks mate!
    A complete Mech Bust from Start to Finish would be great :)
    Yeah, i learned a lot 3DSMAX but i think some things could be done faster and easier in zBrush, for example curved hard surface with a lot of details. Thats the reason why i want to learn zBrush Hard Surface :)
    Haha! I just spent the last hour looking at robot/mech/cyborg concept art thanks to you........ :)

Yes, definitely. Curved hard surface is ridiculously fast in ZB compared to more traditional methods..

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    If you need some Ideas for the upcoming ;) HardSurface Bust Tutorial :D just go to Artstation and type in "Mecha"
    There are some great Robots.

I like these a lot:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6Bdax
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JbxVZ
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DdewO

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gazu , Thanks for the inspriational links ;)

So once I had completed all the modeling/texturing, and had everything assembled in 3dsMax, I realised that this bloke definitely needed some sort of base, or platform. So it was back to Zbrush again for some more hard-surface action... :) This time using Zmodeler/Radial symmetry:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    The platform was also textured in Substance Painter using the very same techniques:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Having created the platform I still felt something was missing..........an environment! :)
    So I set about building one. The elements were created in Zbrush/3dsMax, and the scene assembled in 3dsMax. About 10% of the geo in the scene is kit-bashed from a Vitaly set and Zbrush IM brushes.

The great thing about building a cylindrical environment is that it's so useful to be able to 'steal' shapes from the topology. All the pipes are spline shapes extracted from the main set so they already in place, and as they are editable splines I could make use of this powerful toolset in max. Also, any object can have it's pivot aligned to the main set and be clone-rotated for perfect placement very easily.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    I then began texturing. I didn't need to put as much work into this stage as the environment would be in the background and probably depth-blurred(which it was) but I was addicted to Substance Painter at this stage so I didn't care...:)

I did a quick unwrap on the main set element and created a texture that would be enough to do its job in the final illustration.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    For texturing a lot of the background props i tested out a tiling texture idea I had in mind for Substance Painter. I just imported a square proxy plane with UVs from 3dsMax and textured it using tiled maps and procedurals. You get the normal/height, and roughness for free as you're working across the whole material at once. Plus the all the map detail is synced. Then I just exported the maps using the same Vray preset.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    And an example asset. So quick to do as you don't even need to unwrap the UVs. You can just apply box-mapping or use the Vray tri-planar-tex map.
    And bearing in mind that this is a background prop, this is good enough. Spend time where you need it. :) I could have just used any old shader but I like to use personal projects to test out new ideas/workflows so it's never time wasted.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    With the scene assembly/lighting rig finalised(after days of experimentation/testing ) and everything in place it's time for final renders! *NOTE*: not as exciting as it sounds....

The character was saved out as a Vray Proxy for the final stages of rendering

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    I will often printscreen a render in progress from the frame buffer and just start experimenting in PS whilst the render is still ongoing. This will be a noisy/grainy image but it doesn't matter as it's just for testing purposes.
    Call it impatience....:) but it's great to be able to get ahead of yourself and try out different ideas just like sketching. No matter how crap it looks, as nobody will ever see it......oh!....wait!.....too late....

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    And at last....the finished render(or one of them) Straight render with a few levels/colour correction tweaks, but no paintovers.(background did get some painting work) The background ended up heavily blurred, and I also exported a VRay Glare and Bloom pass from the Vray mesh lights to composite.

EDIT: anyone know how to post full res images? PC is rescaling.

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Why the tease? This looks really good, though was expecting a more dark/dramatic lighting.
    edit: okay just checked your artstation for the other renders,  That texture work is something else, and i get it that you want to showcase every bit of detail, but a render with a more dramatic atmosphere would work really well in my opinion, a some smoke and dust and a darker lighting.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @kohg , for the feedback. I did try out a lot of different light setups. I was going for something more dark/sinister/dramatic but, as you said, I also wanted to showcase the modeling/texturing. The great thing about having the entire scene fully textured is that I can render now with any lighting setup and choose any camera angle. I do intend to do more renders and definitely intend to get a more dramatic output. Thanks again.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    A few portrait renders. Tweaked these a bit more in post for a different mood:

• Karellen
    Offline / Send Message
    Karellen polycounter lvl 2
    outstanding work! i cant stop taking notes while reading your updates. :smile:
    Thanks for the inspiration, and looking forward for more
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! The Environment is kicking the whole scene a lot! Nice work!