Home General Discussion

We should not get paid for making games, it's art after all...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9

Game industry veteran writes Horryfying (and stupid) article in defense of poor working conditions.

http://kotaku.com/game-industry-veteran-writes-horrifying-article-in-defe-1771434170

Kinda funny to know there are still people thinking that way, even more, when they are people who worked in the field and know all the struggles involved.

Here's a direct link to the article:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/16/game-developers-must-avoid-the-wage-slave-attitude/

The article is short and well-written. I almost (almost) shared his view for a moment, but after reading more, when you get the core message of what he's saying, I just can't stand for that.

As a programmer himself, I have hard time comprehending how he can say stuff like that. Does he includes people that code tools, engine and the game logic too or just the art, I wonder.

''Making games is not a job, pushing a mouse is not a hardship, it’s the most amazing opportunity you can possibly get paid to pursue … start believing it, and you’ll discover that you are even better at it.

Don’t be in the game industry if you can’t love all 80 hours/week of it — you’re taking a job from somebody who would really value it.''

WHo agrees?

I hope he also make an article to attacks musicians, sport athlete, professional cooks and so on since these people ''have fun'' doing their job.

Excuse me to post this but such article personally affects me since some people in my entourage have similar thinking.-_-

I'm aware of the bait title by the way. :D

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    He can only say that because he's independently wealthy and doesn't need to make money to support himself or his family. Also because he likely fantasizes about not having to pay his employees, or just wishes he could get away with making interns do everything. What a shithead.

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Excuse me to post this but such article personally affects me since some people in my entourage have similar thinking.-_-
    Yep, people around me just don't get the fact that we are working like everybody else, but I can't deny that I'm having a lot more fun now than when I used to be in a marketing school :blush:

About the authors article he just don't know what he's saying, for example, I doubt athlete has fun during their training, if you listen to them there're always speaking about not to give up and enduring the pain
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    It is literally not even worth dignifying that article with a response
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    He's irrelevant.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Not really irrelevant and it depends on how you read the article. You work for 60% of your waking life. All the author is stating is that you better make damn sure you spend that time doing something you enjoy. He is talking about the game industry (probably because it is what he knows) but what he says applies to any profession or trade. Employers have been complaining that new applicants (in any industry) inquire about vacation days, rate of advancement etc before demonstrating any interest in the company or product. I believe this is a symptom of advertising that literally tells our young people that the only important thing in life is your watch (for example)! I further believe that our current money system is reaping what it sows.

People will always complain but even so I have met plenty of 16 year olds that are thrilled to be busy with digital technology and that sense of adventure will stand them in good stead regardless of how society will try to suck all the fun out of work. If you work at a bad studio, change that, but even if you do work at a great place there will still be complaints. Its just how our species rolls, unfortunately.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    some ancient irrelevant dude is trolling. lets not get baited.

kanga, i dont really understand your point, but it sounds like you are siding with the arguments in the article. and then i have to ask you, if i really love what i do, if i consider doing it fun, why should i be punished with less working rights?

"-hey there, fast food burger flipper, do you like your job?
    -yes, actually...
    -would you consider it an art?
    -yes, im really passionate about burgers!
    -well now you have 20% lower pay and no overtime compensation!"
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His wife and kids left him because he worked 80+ hours a week at Microsoft.  He destroyed his family.

Winning?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Kotaku is the best place to get news... .... .... ok I cant keep a straight face when saying that.
  • almighty_gir
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    some ancient irrelevant dude is trolling. lets not get baited.

kanga, i dont really understand your point, but it sounds like you are siding with the arguments in the article. and then i have to ask you, if i really love what i do, if i consider doing it fun, why should i be punished with less working rights?

"-hey there, fast food burger flipper, do you like your job?
    -yes, actually...
    -would you consider it an art?
    -yes, im really passionate about burgers!
    -well now you have 20% lower pay and no overtime compensation!"
    Hi STIKADTROJA. Yeah I side with the idea that enjoyment in what you do is more important than the money you get for it. I don't believe you should be penalized for that love though. I would work in a place that inspired me for less money than a place that I hated going to, for more money. I think a lot of people hate their jobs and use survival as an excuse not to change their situation.  The author of the article also says that if you don't like the situation you are in, create one that will make you happy. That seems like pretty good advice. Most people will say that if your arnt growing financially then you are going backwards. I reckon if you arnt learning you are going backwards. Regardless of your age or experience.

Those are just my plastic pearls though.
    Cheerio

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder why that author of the article doesnt whine about restaurants charging him money for food or why workers in the fast food industry strike over minimum wage ...
    I mean he is used to hunting for food so compared to that chefs/cooks have the privilege of having abundant ingredients and electric ovens and all the latest fancy gadgets to cook the food. tossing around food over a pan is not a job. cooking is art too...

his philosophy or logic seems so lacking. he seems to have become successful long long ago when there was a fraction of the competition compared to current times and now he himself is in a position of privilege to be able to complain about other people who complain.
    he has taken the concept of wage-slave that exists everywhere and applied it to generalize and depreciate the value of current game developers.

if someone loves their job, they are usually pretty good at it with time and they usually do a good job too. so technically, people who love what they do are even more precious human resources compared to those who dont love what they do. so to live in an economy based in money in exchange of goods and services, these people who love their job are more expensive and should get even more money like many of them already do.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The problem is that your pay/work environment shouldn't depend on how much you love your job, I agree that pay isn't as important for some who enjoy their job, and I personally pick a job out of what I like more then what pays more,  but to say that because you enjoy it, that you have less need for quality in life, and don't need to be treated properly, that's just ridiculous. That's just the excuse from people who wants to exploit others.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    what's confusing is he doesn't even seem to differentiate between start ups, where you're your own boss and 80-hour weeks probably happen, and people who simply work on games for a living. His idea is the same, you're working on "great art".

• Joebewon
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's important to be passionate and really love and work hard for what you want.  Whether it's games or any other career choice, but wanting a livable wage or to even be paid for your work shouldn't seem unreasonable or whiny.  

I feel like there's a weird thing with most start-ups where if people don't want to work for free or don't have completely unrealistic work expectations they're "not ready for a start-up game studio".  I get this dudes passionate about games, but sometimes people have bills to pay.  

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Just leaving this heere...Jim Sterling talking about this too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RCV0UWJgE
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Fight troll with troll:
    WHY R U WRITING ARTICLES???!!1111 GET BACK TO FIXING DIRECTX!!!!!

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Tits
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Isn't all programmers do is push the keyboard ?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    the article seems sinister with a motive to devalue game developers.
    i read the article twice now and if you wanna TLDR the article then this should work:

"you are lucky to be working in game dev = salary cuts and lower wage = more money for the CEO = corporate greed"

• SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    following the logic here, i would say its totally acceptable if we only do the stuff we like.
    fuck your scifi game, i am doing hand painted medieval stuff today !
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Blond said:
    I'm aware of the bait title by the way. :D
    Maybe you could consider stop making baity titles then? its pretty annoying...
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Software Production isn't an Art, it's a craft, the result should be art, you should damn well pay your craftsman.

I honestly can't recommend anyone going down this career route at this point unless they are either extremely talented while starting out or have major backup plans, when he says go find work for other tech companies.

I would tell some people, it's not a bad idea, my friend was recently trained up on the job as a systems admin he is paid decently has a lovely apartment and and a great work life balance, with big overtime bonuses.

Other industries look more appealing, other art focuses begin to look more appealing, I have been painting on canvas lately and getting deep into life drawing.

Ideally we want to work in the industry we all love, but we want to work, as in Fair work for Fair pay, we are not slaves.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't get past this sentence in the first paragraph "They want to pretend that they can turn an inherently entrepreneurial endeavor like game development into a 9-to-5 job."

What an stupid, asshole thing to say. I'm not sure I can bring myself to bother reading the rest of it.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I couldn't get past this sentence in the first paragraph "They want to pretend that they can turn an inherently entrepreneurial endeavor like game development into a 9-to-5 job."

What an stupid, asshole thing to say. I'm not sure I can bring myself to bother reading the rest of it.
    I just about gave up attempting to read through it at the exact same sentence, but powered on just to confirm how ridiculous the article was.  Infuriating to read something like this, to be completely honest.  I can see the points attempting to be made but at the end of the day, the games we make sometimes make a LOT of money.  This money is either going to go into a bank account to be used to fund future projects, be cut a bit more out to the current employees, or end up just piling up in bonuses to studio heads/directors.  That is being said in the perspective of someone working at, say a AAA company, as a junior-senior level artist in a non-director level position.  Granted, I completely understand how the money trickles down, 100% fine with that... but the article is essentially saying that we should be completely okay with where we are in life.  Enjoy what money we make, no matter how little or big of a cut in profit, and see that as a bonus on top of our 'already great quality of life because we love what we do'.  I should be okay with living in a box on the side of the road, because I get to work in an industry that I want to.

I would love to see him live life with those 'values' he painted out for us with his article.  Last time I checked, the digital games industry was rapidly approaching 100 billion.  It took the games industry roughly 50years to reach 91 something billion in worth.  Much more than just a weak "entrepreneurial endeavor" he is describing based on those numbers.  
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3

The attitude that just because we work in games we should be grateful is a pitiful one, sure there are other people out there with harder work conditions and less enjoyable jobs, but then I don't think they have the skills/training or experience to do games jobs? sure there are many out there who want to work in games that can't find games jobs, but until there is work available I am not sure why we should hinder our own job standards/expectations in the industry?
    The sheer amount of money that the games industry generates (as the most profitable entertainment industry, $70bn in 2013 vs films $35bn in the same year) flies in the face of anyone saying that we should just put up with exploitation/poor standards and be just grateful for our jobs. if you are someone with that attitude then shame on you, the industry shouldn't be a struggle for anyone fortunate enough to be part of it, but rather an example of an industry that encourages the brightest and most talented to solve problems. 

That said, most people I know read their contract and don't really understand it but still sign it anyway. There should be more of an effort to outline a general set of clauses we want regarding overtime (not mandatory or a set amount of consecutive days allowed/ overtime hour limit, or pay for overtime that is mandatory) and holiday limits (the length of/where a company sets a period of time that people cannot take time off) etc. Employees have the power to ask for these things collectively or on moving to a new job, we just need to be more assertive when it comes to contracts (considering contracts and the clauses are there for both parties not just the employer).
    just saying we can ask for more money and better work-life balances but the only way to ensure them is to get them in a contract.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    funny that he thinks working at a computer pushing a mouse is the bees knees, that is the worst aspect of it. Sitting is extremely unhealthy, as is staring at a monitor for all waking hours of the day.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    So he's going to be giving back all the money he made too ? seeing as it was his passion and what not.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I feel like people are over reacting to this article.

For instance isn't that 9-5 statement saying that people think they can take a game dev job, indie or otherwise. And work the normal shift of say a full time McDonald's employee aka 9 -5. Crunch time or not, what ever the area, I'm certain that's not the case in the vast majority of contexts.

And the statement about quitting I've heard tons of times. People saying they used to work in game dev but got a family or something and shifted to more normal programming work, which had better pay, more benefits, and less hours. It's what they need but even then some still desire to return to game dev or do it on the side.

All this stuff he's saying send standard to me, and the same stuff I've heard repeated since I've researched this industry back in highschool. Never hurt my desire though, I'm a workaholic on my own.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    iadagraca said:

For instance isn't that 9-5 statement saying that people think they can take a game dev job, indie or otherwise. And work the normal shift of say a full time McDonald's employee aka 9 -5. Crunch time or not, what ever the area, I'm certain that's not the case in the vast majority of contexts.

And the statement about quitting I've heard tons of times. People saying they used to work in game dev but got a family or something and shifted to more normal programming work, which had better pay, more benefits, and less hours. It's what they need but even then some still desire to return to game dev or do it on the side.

All this stuff he's saying send standard to me, and the same stuff I've heard repeated since I've researched this industry back in highschool. Never hurt my desire though, I'm a workaholic on my own.
    i dont think it is an over reaction.

it is a deliberate attempt at undermining employees(game developers in this case) and their value. it is a deliberate attempt at keeping wage down and keeping work hours up. it is a deliberate attempt to get more cheap labor and making sure it stays cheap. this is similar to tactics used by bad managers/CEOs to keep more money for the executive roles and less money for the general developers. that being said, this is nothing new and happens in all industries. so every time we hear something like this we should make sure to react just like this other wise it will be a race to the bottom soon.

everybody should keep in mind that the type of work we do take a lot of hard work, research, training, technical understanding, etc. etc. it cannot be done just by everybody, other wise it would have been. I am sure even Mr. Alex St. John knows this very well but it is a deliberate attempt by him to depreciate our value as a whole.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Dataday said:
    Kotaku is the best place to get news... .... .... ok I cant keep a straight face when saying that.
    It's not fake, it's a guy in a leadership role who says about the same stuff all the leaders of  his generation in this industry espouse but more bluntly.  It must be taxing sorting what news to ignore because it also gets reported on Kotaku.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    he is a tool, that we have given too much power. Also MS fired him for a reason.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    iadagraca said:

Are you serious? wake up man. The guy who wrote the article is basically saying that because it's a fun thing to do, you don't get to complain about poor working conditions. That is bullshit! First of all... If I spend 10+ years becoming a badass artist then first of all... you can be damn well sure that I want to be paid well for it. Value yourself and your work. Otherwise no one else will. Do you think Syd Mead charges tiny wages to do a project? No... hes one of the best and people pay him accordingly to do great work. 

Second of all... If you're an artist I want to encourage you to get out of the mindset of the place where you work being the location where you give your best work. I say... go home and make personal art and make it way better then what you can do at work. Don't let your creativity and artistic skill level be tied to your workplace. That sort of thinking is what really creates "wage slaves."
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PASSERBY It's convenient to write him off, I could quote some ceo's of big time successful studios saying the same thing but I don't feel like sticking my neck out.  It's all posted publicly so feel free to find it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    You know, in a way I kind of get what he's saying, but mostly, he's a douche. Does this industry have bad working conditions in some places? Absolutely. But you know what? Other industries are also far worse. Try making it as a chef. Longer hours for even less pay. No benefits pretty much ever. No extra perks like a lot of industry places have. To become great you still require years of experience, much like our industry, but their working conditions are so much worse. So much worse. 

For the most part, our industry pays OK. Yes, some places are terrible. I started at min wage. Some places are less than the industry average. But in the grand scheme of things, unless you`re at one of those places paying minimum wage, it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to seem. 

Could it be better? ABSOLUTELY! There are definitely a lot of places that could be much better! But if the entire industry was complete and utter shit, no one would be working in it, or there would have been a union created by now. 

In a lot of cases, the only reason the conditions are so bad are because people let them stay like that. They put up with the over time. The put up with the shitty schedules. They don't speak up for themselves, or say you know what? Ive been here my 8 hours, Im going home. From what ive noticed, the people who have been in the industry longest have learned to just say no. They put in their hours and they go home. 

Dont get me wrong. This guy is a douche, and using "you enjoy the work so you should get paid shit all" is a TERRIBLE reason to pay people crap all. If your employees are making you millions of dollars, pay them what they`re worth. 
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    artquest said:
    iadagraca said:

-snip-
    Are you serious? wake up man. The guy who wrote the article is basically saying that because it's a fun thing to do, you don't get to complain about poor working conditions. That is bullshit! First of all... If I spend 10+ years becoming a badass artist then first of all... you can be damn well sure that I want to be paid well for it. Value yourself and your work. Otherwise no one else will. Do you think Syd Mead charges tiny wages to do a project? No... hes one of the best and people pay him accordingly to do great work. 

Second of all... If you're an artist I want to encourage you to get out of the mindset of the place where you work being the location where you give your best work. I say... go home and make personal art and make it way better then what you can do at work. Don't let your creativity and artistic skill level be tied to your workplace. That sort of thinking is what really creates "wage slaves."
    Nailed it.  Do not think this could be said better.  
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being this close to Houston, I do bump into Nasa engineers now and then, I'll have to ask if they work the crazy hours we do.  They are government employees afterall.

edit:
    oops, it wasn't Tim Sweeney, it was Mark Rein who said similar things about "passion": http://www.develop-online.net/news/passionate-developers-are-willing-to-crunch-say-studio-heads/0112489
    I like how he brings up hard working Policemen & Firemen (who are unionized) and Doctors (who make waaaaaaaaaay more money than us)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    kanga said:
    Not really irrelevant and it depends on how you read the article. You work for 60% of your waking life. All the author is stating is that you better make damn sure you spend that time doing something you enjoy. He is talking about the game industry (probably because it is what he knows) but what he says applies to any profession or trade. Employers have been complaining that new applicants (in any industry) inquire about vacation days, rate of advancement etc before demonstrating any interest in the company or product. I believe this is a symptom of advertising that literally tells our young people that the only important thing in life is your watch (for example)! I further believe that our current money system is reaping what it sows.

People will always complain but even so I have met plenty of 16 year olds that are thrilled to be busy with digital technology and that sense of adventure will stand them in good stead regardless of how society will try to suck all the fun out of work. If you work at a bad studio, change that, but even if you do work at a great place there will still be complaints. Its just how our species rolls, unfortunately.
    I always found the idea that job applicants have to "care about the company", before they even have seen and experienced the compant from the inside, ridiculous. Most people are applying to dozens, if not more companies. You can't tell me you have a deep care for ALL of them. You may care for one or two particularly strongly, or you're just bullshitting the rest of the people you're interviewing with. If anything, you can say you love your work - that's believable and that doesn't change depending on whom you're interviewing with.

On the other hand, it's also just fair to ask about compensation. It's called a work contract, and both sides have obligations and privileges. If you as employee don't bring up the topic of compensation then you're stupid or in for some bad surprises. If it's the first thing you bring up in an interview, then yep, that's not clever either ;)

Also you might want to consider that vacation days, good advancement options IS something that makes companies interesting. I still see game companies advertising "free fruit" and "modern open office spaces", like 15 years ago. It's ridiculous. Maybe the young people are just more clever than us who were impressed by "free fruit and soft drinks". If you don't advertise real perks and benefits, then don't be surprised if your candidates ask for them.

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    artquest said:
    iadagraca said:

Look you're not wrong, and I'm not saying it's ok, it's something I just expect because as far as i know this is the accepted reality. I remember articles and people suggesting getting into game dev or CG is the kind of work you get into while you're young, cause you'll work long hours, more than likely travel and have to move from your home town especially if changing jobs (which happens a lot). It's difficult, it's not ideal for people looking for simple, stable work in most cases. 

And i'm not interested in a job that's stable or pays a lot i'm interested in a job that lets me do what i love doing most of the time, and hopefully be a strong contributor to a major project one day preferably leading one. Like people who do freelance, that's even less stable than studio work , you guys often talk about encountering problems but learning to handle them. But you may prefer it due to the freedom or other factors, or may return to studio work for better stability. Or the difference between small studio work and and big studio work, threads here about working at EA compared to a small studio. Where the factor there is more about how important stability is to you compared to satisfaction. And i think most people who post here, take time out of their day, every day, to learn the software and improve their art are looking for satisfying work more than anything. 

Do i think it's fair that i have to pick satisfying over stable? No, but i'll do it cause i want to, and so long as i feel satisfied i won't really have a need to complain. But certainly i'm no stranger to quitting a job simply because I feel like it's not giving me what I need/want. People complain all the time about lone/small indie dev work but they still express love for it and support others who want to do it. The reality is just part of the life, sure we'd all love it if it was easier but that's not the case yet, maybe never will be because of how rapidly things change. 

I don't think anyone is saying anyone deserves anything, or anything should be one way, but they are saying if they're not happy with the work there's other fields your skill-set applies to (as far as game development/programming goes) that can provide a more stable 9-5 lifestyle and more benefits that someone may claim to desire while dwelling on their difficulties. "Go and become happy somewhere else, the rest of us are fine."
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Kwramm said:
    kanga said:

I always found the idea that job applicants have to "care about the company", before they even have seen and experienced the compant from the inside, ridiculous. Most people are applying to dozens, if not more companies. You can't tell me you have a deep care for ALL of them. You may care for one or two particularly strongly, or you're just bullshitting the rest of the people you're interviewing with. If anything, you can say you love your work - that's believable and that doesn't change depending on whom you're interviewing with.

On the other hand, it's also just fair to ask about compensation. It's called a work contract, and both sides have obligations and privileges. If you as employee don't bring up the topic of compensation then you're stupid or in for some bad surprises. If it's the first thing you bring up in an interview, then yep, that's not clever either ;)

Also you might want to consider that vacation days, good advancement options IS something that makes companies interesting. I still see game companies advertising "free fruit" and "modern open office spaces", like 15 years ago. It's ridiculous. Maybe the young people are just more clever than us who were impressed by "free fruit and soft drinks". If you don't advertise real perks and benefits, then don't be surprised if your candidates ask for them.

I suppose. Though it seems strange to me that applicants are not interested in a place they are going to spend a lot of time in. Not only are applicants looking at many places, those places are also looking at many applicants. The interview is not just a one way street, its a chance for you to grill your maybe future employer. Asking about benefits is normal, but only asking those questions seems short sighted.

Cheerio
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    kanga said:
    I suppose. Though it seems strange to me that applicants are not interested in a place they are going to spend a lot of time in. Not only are applicants looking at many places, those places are also looking at many applicants. The interview is not just a one way street, its a chance for you to grill your maybe future employer. Asking about benefits is normal, but only asking those questions seems short sighted.

Cheerio
    I think it depends. I generally gauge interest by the candidate's ability to ask intelligent questions about company, products and work. I don't expect them to know much before they arrive, other than having studied what is publicly available. However my company isn't a household name, like EA or Ubi or Blizzard. Also, as interviewer, it is my job to answer those questions. Actually, when people don't ask, I just tell them. I don't want to hire people who then appear at work with the totally wrong expectations. I tell them about work, products, team and advancement. Sometimes this triggers more questions and the candidates open up a bit. I don't think I ever encountered anyone who "grilled" me. Then again if the interview moves from conversation to interrogation (in either direction) it becomes pretty clear that there's no match and no good chance for a healthy work relationship.

But yeah, just starting out with "what's in for me" is a pretty stupid strategy for interviewing, especially before the employer took the bait.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this whole conversation man... just...

i honestly cannot fathom why people are wasting their mental capacity on this bullshit. do not let the trolls believe there is anything worth coming out from under their bridge for.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Working for yourself, crunch can be justified. For others, without compensation? Hardly. 
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Taken directly from the Valve Employee Handbook.
    "While people occasionally choose to push themselves to work some extra hours at times when something big is going out the door, for the most part working overtime for extended periods indicates a fundamental failure in planning or communication. If this happens at Valve, it’s a sign that something needs to be reevaluated and corrected. If you’re looking around wondering why people aren’t in “crunch mode,” the answer’s pretty simple. The thing we work hardest at is hiring good people, so we want them to stick around and have a good balance between work and family and the rest of the important stuff in life."

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    While the message is clear and 100% accurate, it's hard to use valve as an example. They aren't exactly known for putting out games, anymore. They could be working on some huge games, but when it comes down to it, the crunch usually hits when you see a public deadline coming. Not to say they don't have their own internal deadlines or anything. But, without knowing much about the company, from my perspective, they seem to have the "it's done when it's done" mentality. Not everyone has the luxury of being financed by steam, so they need games out at very specific times to stay afloat. 
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    He's a bit like the granddad who tells story about how he had to go to school barefeet in the snow, uphill for 20 miles, both ways.
    Watched some videos about him yesterday because this whole thing made me curious. He's actualy a pretty entertaining guy and he makes no secret of it that he enjoys trolling people on the internet.
    Crunch and working conditions are a serious topic but as the saying goes "don't feed the troll".
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    slipsius said:
    While the message is clear and 100% accurate, it's hard to use valve as an example. They aren't exactly known for putting out games, anymore. They could be working on some huge games, but when it comes down to it, the crunch usually hits when you see a public deadline coming. Not to say they don't have their own internal deadlines or anything. But, without knowing much about the company, from my perspective, they seem to have the "it's done when it's done" mentality. Not everyone has the luxury of being financed by steam, so they need games out at very specific times to stay afloat. 
    Valve released a game fifteen days ago. Just sayin'.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Heh, someone is quick at drawing.

• Bruno Afonseca