Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Questions and Answers

Replies

• Mateo
    Hello, 
    Besides the two beauty renders, is it allowed to submit anymore views ? or a turntable ?
    if so,  is it allowed to animate the character inits stand / pedestal pose ?
    thanks,
  • llRobinll
    Offline / Send Message
    llRobinll polycounter lvl 5
    Hey there, is it allowed for the beast to be holding a very small critter in it's hands? Could that be considered a prop?
    Thanks
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A small critter is fine yes.
    Mateo You can add more renders and turntables to your wip thread but the jury will only judge the original beauty renders.
  • 3pi
    I cant add the image, why ?
    I choose a file from a desktop but it is not showing in the post
  • jecastej
    Offline / Send Message
    jecastej polycounter lvl 6
    The submission section says nothing about geometry. Do we need to submit any geometry (obj, dxf, etc)? I guess we do...
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    jecastej said:
    The submission section says nothing about geometry. Do we need to submit any geometry (obj, dxf, etc)? I guess we do...
    Submission: 1 short backstory paragraph (100 words maximum) 2 beauty shots: a full frame shot and a closeup. Beauty shots can be rendered in any real time or offline renderer. 1 full frame wire shotchoice of 1 or 2 texture sheets
    Think it is safe to say this is all.
  • Enalya
    Not sure if this has been asked (apologies in that case), but is it allowed to already post my renders / Sketchfab model on my portfolio (share on other platforms?)
  • Burpee
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Enalya said:
    Not sure if this has been asked (apologies in that case), but is it allowed to already post my renders / Sketchfab model on my portfolio (share on other platforms?)
    Probably

So offline render means we can use V-ray ? But without any subidivision render?
  • nikola3d
    Offline / Send Message
    nikola3d polycounter lvl 4
    I'm trying to post my Wip images and update my thread but whole day it doesn't do anything. Also I can't connect polycount to my facebook account. Maybe I'm out of topic but I really need help!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    jecastej You don't need to upload any geometry, just images.
    Burpee Yes, V-Ray is allowed but no subdivision.
    nikola3d You may want to contact a Polycount admin for your picture issues.
    Enalya Sure, your asset is yours and you do anything you want with it :)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jerc,

When will the submission thread open?
    I think you said earlier, that you would go hunt submissions, but it just saves you a lot of work if we do it ourselves, right? :)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    can i use the spare budget of my creature towards my pedestal?
    my creature is 50k triangles and i`d like to create coral on my pedestal to compliment the aquatic theme of it. this eats up triangles however and 5k won`t cut it unfortunately (tried bakes down volume versions of it but it looks incredibly bad)
  • nikola3d
    Offline / Send Message
    nikola3d polycounter lvl 4
    I want to separate body from clothing in 2 different sheets. So does that count in 4x4096 materials for body and 4x4096 for clothing or there should be in total 4x4096?
    Also, does final render can have some background image or it has to have just model and assets with gray/white/black background image?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You should have 4x4096 materials in total, so if you have a material for your clothes and a material for your body, that's 2x4096 total, so you're good.
    You can have any background image, but try to make it subtle so that the character stands out.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ravenslayer Your beast being very low poly, I'd say you can put a little more in the pedestal, don't overdo it though, the beast still needs to be the most important part of the artwork :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Jerc said:
    You should have 4x4096 materials in total, so if you have a material for your clothes and a material for your body, that's 2x4096 total, so you're good.
    You can have any background image, but try to make it subtle so that the character stands out.
    Well damn i made only 1x4096 looks like i have to rethink things, otherwise thanks. I don't know why i thought it was only 1x4096.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You don't HAVE to have 4x4096 though, If you designed your entry with a single 4096 in mind, it may just fit the character as well.
  • Owain
    Offline / Send Message
    Owain null
    Hi. Where can I post my finished pictures?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    In your own thread, ideally post it at the end of your thread, and edit the initial post with your final entry too.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Ummm any chance for a week or two of a deadline extension ?  :s (soz had to ask)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Jerc said:
    You don't HAVE to have 4x4096 though, If you designed your entry with a single 4096 in mind, it may just fit the character as well.
    Thanks, though i feel i need a bit more at least for skin details. :) No biggs already done.
  • Seavannah
    Hello wow this is so cool love the theme. Have a few Questions.
    1. Can we use MakeHuman 3D program to make our base mesh for our beast as long as we topo it and change it so that it is ours like it says in the MakeHuman 3D policy? 
    2. Layout of the tris does matter right? I mean I cant just use Decimation Master in ZBrush and call it a day on the tris right lol. I probably already know the answer to this question but thought I would ask anyway since I am so so late. 
    3. in ZBrush there are BPR filters, Adjustments, Environment, and when you export the image it also offers changes to the eporting image can we use these?
    4. How many Materials can we use not texture maps? do We need to bake the Materials into the Texture maps?
    5. can we compile the renders out of ZBrush into PhotoShop as long as there is no other paints on it or other overlays or filters?
    thank you so much and great luck to all love so many of these entries so far. <span>:smile:</span> so sorry for so many questions thank you for any help.
  • taleweaver
    Hey all,

1) My beast loves its teddy bear so I wanted to let it play with it in the final render.
    Will a small passive teddy be considered as part of the pedestral or as a prop?

2) When you talk about materials it means texture SETS, right?
    One texture set means: 1x diffuse, 1x roughness, 1x metal, 1x normal. Right?

3) 4 x 4k textures means 16 x 2k textures.
    That would be 16 texture sets meaning 16 diffuse maps, 16 normal maps etc... right?
    Please say that understoof that correctly or I will be in big trouble Ô_o.
    I have one 2k set for each body part.
    That are 9 sets in total meaning 9 x 4= 36 maps.

4) I'm using Blender Cycles. On the eyes I use a glass shader that uses the
    head texture for dirt purposes.
    A plane behind the glass mesh has it's own emissive backdrop texture
    so it shines through the glass eyes.
    Is that concept allowed or do I have to make it without glass (which I could not make
    so realistic as it is now I guess).

5) I reusing textures allowed? Meaning: If I have a lava texture for emission and
    I use that texture on every emissive surface. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Seavannah You can use any software to create your character. As stated in the rules, the edge flow and UV layout are part of what the jury will look at. Your asset needs to be useable/posable so the wireframe should reflect that. Only texture maps are available so if you're textturing inside ZBrush via polypaint and materials, you'll have to bake these to textures.
    You can use Zbrush and all its options to render your character, as long as you don't tweak it in Photoshop afterwards.

taleweaver The teddy bear if interacted with would be considered an accessory and count towards the character polycount and texture budget.
    Materials = Texture Sets, so yes you're good!
    You're fine with the eye reflection too, don't worry about that.
    Reusing textures for different purposes is totally allowed.

• gergoszatmari
    Hi!

I got a question , can we use a small displacement map on the pedestral?

Thanks in advance! :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can use displacement to displace your original geometry, but no tesselation!
  • gergoszatmari
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    I am getting a message, that editing posts needs to be approved - so I am unable to see the edit of my first post, as well as the last post (because I edited this as well)

• DavidAguero
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidAguero vertex
    Question, I'm working in quads, need to triple them when I finish to make a wire shot?
  • angrytrout
    "Your asset needs to be useable/posable "   huh? There was NEVER any mention of anything but ONE pose. It's a little late in the game to start changing or adding to the rules.

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    angrytrout All I was trying to say is that the edge flow needs to be clean rather than a mess of triangles, as stated in one of the judging criteria: "Technical Mastery - Edge flow, efficient UVs, all the boring stuff that makes an asset great!"
    But if decimation master gives you a good readable/practical edge flow, then you're fine!
    DavidAguero Quads are always easier to read, but it's up to you.
  • KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    SO, to enter it is it simply just our thread or is there a place?
  • 3pi
    Regarding a 100k rule for a character: could i make one high poly and one decimated version model, and then bake normal map in SD and attach it on a low poly model ? 
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Okay so the question may already have been answered but since i'm not really sure and didn't find anything clear about it ...

Photoshop tweaking is not authorized, i'm okay with it, but i'm pretty sure i saw somewhere that a background & image/swap would be accepted. 
    I would like to add a bit of falling snow in the background of my renders (but not on the character or the pedestal), is it okay or out of the question ?

Thank you,
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    KingKellogg Yes, just post in your wip thread.
    3pi Of course!
    Zalkan Yes the background can be anything, we just don't want any touchups of the models or elements painted over the model to keep it fair for everybody.
  • luxxo
    Jeremie-
    We can use Substance Painters's Iray for final presentation, but what about options like DOF (all these new aperture settings etc.). Can we use these too? :)

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, any post processing or camera effect that's part of the engine/renderer are allowed.
  • FlexHectic
    In the Submission section of the contest rules it states that 2 beauty shots: full frame and close up are required does that mean Beauty the character herself or just beauty based pics of the Beast? I could be reading that wrong and maybe the use of the word beauty throws me off but just to make sure though...
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Beauty shots in this case means final shots, I have to admit it could be confusing with the theme of the contest :)
  • FlexHectic
    Okay last rookie question... By 100,000 triangles you do mean polygons because I am using Zbrush for the initial sculpting then importing into Lightwave before pressing my luck with Substance Painter. 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    100k triangle, if you are exporting from zbrush, you probably have quads, so that would be 50k quads.
  • Cai
    Offline / Send Message
    Cai polycounter lvl 5
    "2 beauty shots: a full frame shot and a closeup."
    Should the closeup shot be from the same picture (view, light, etc) or can it be a completely different ? also can it be composed of different closeup pictures into one ?
    Are there any size limits for the final shots ?

Thanks

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The closeup should probably be a different shot to make it more interesting. There are no size limit for the shots, just keep it reasonnable :)
  • Dustchaser
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustchaser polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,can I put two angle of view of model in full frame shot?

Thanks
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    where/how do I submit my final presentation?
  • FlexHectic
    Late entry question... Is there a way to upload pics direct to the forum or do I have to use a separate host site?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Submissions can be simply posted in your wip thread. You're probably better off with an image hosting site like imgur or any other.
  • FlexHectic
    Just signed up for imgur and uploaded some pics how do I make them appear in my thread posts? The preview thing does not seem to be working for me when I try to link them in either the url thing or the attach image thing (in other words I am clueless) help me Obi Wan Kenobi...
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Cai said:
    ...also can it be composed of different closeup pictures into one ?
    I would also like to know this. Can you have one image with multiple closeups?

And how strict is the maximum of 100 words? Is it a problem if it's 150, 200?
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    And how strict is the maximum of 100 words? Is it a problem if it's 150, 200?
    I second this!
    and a follow up question to that; should we post the Story in the thread itself, or as an image? or both?