Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Deadline Extension - April 17th

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
Hi everyone,

After discussing it internally and taking into account the requests of contestants and the current state of the contest, we decided to add an additional week and extend the deadline from April 11th 11:59PM PST to April 17th 11:59PM PST.

We understand that some people who were in time for the 11th will feel like it is unfair, but an additional week will likely double the amount of finished entries and we beleive this will benefit everyone.

Your talent, technical mastery and artistic abilities are your responsibility to train and improve, but time is something that contestants don't necesarily have full control over and anything from a health issue to an unexpected crunch at work can bust your carrefully planned schedule.
We don't want people who pourred dozens of hours into their project to get frustrated simply because they couldn't finish on time.

Hopefully this additional week will allow a lot of contestants to be part of the final batch of assets shown to the jury while giving some more time for those who already finished to polish and make sure everything is perfect with their entry.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• 3pi
  • Endritv
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    This is stupid to be honnest, what's the point of having a deadline to start with then? In this business you're supposed to respect deadlines given. Not ask for a extension when it doesn't suit you.
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    endritv Take it easy bud, it's just a Character Art contest, the fate of the world is not being decided here.
  • Endritv
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    @endritv Take it easy bud, it's just a Character Art contest, the fate of the world is not being decided here.
    I might come off as a bit agressive, not my inention, I just think its part of an artist to be able to make it before the deadline, it's part of the whole contest itself, time managment. Didn't manage to do it on time? Drop out.
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    @endritv I've been swinging the hammer on this contest since day 1. Between work, wife and 2 kids, I'm exhausted. This extension is a welcome relief. :)
  • fantasymaster
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    ENDRITV, this is not a job where you are 8 hours ( or more ) working a lot per day, but you have only your spare time and maybe with some inconvenients this will be very variable, so is nice extending the deadline if you feel the people is almost done but, in general, they will need some few more days.

Where's the problem? Is good for all... so where's the point complaining about this decision?

Thanks JERC for the effort. Anyway, I will not be on time even with this extension but this movement is really appreciated.
  • Sandy
    oho....very discouraging news for me  i was take leave from office three days for finishing my entry and last week days i really work hard day and night only for meet the deadline also i almost  near to close finish ...really i feel very discouraging . but i think its  good for all who's need more more time ..
    also good for who's one near to finish i think its a good chance for improvement much more ...best of luck all ....
  • luxxo
    Hi! Great news! I wish I hadn't taken a day off today though, lol. 
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Pshyco said:
    ENDRITV, this is not a job where you are 8 hours ( or more ) working a lot per day, but you have only your spare time and maybe with some inconvenients this will be very variable, so is nice extending the deadline if you feel the people is almost done but, in general, they will need some few more days.

Where's the problem? Is good for all... so where's the point complaining about this decision?

Thanks JERC for the effort. Anyway, I will not be on time even with this extension but this movement is really appreciated.
    You miss the point, man.  So, some folks have variables to their free time?  Who doesn't?

It was two-and-a-half months, man.  We all have busy lives.  We all have other responsibilities.  But we were all given the same ample room to make time.

Some folks actually took days off work to do this contest, believe it or not.  Many invested their hard effort and precious time just to meet the deadline.

The incentive for this contest is high, and so were some people's sacrifices.  To some folks, this thing is a major opportunity, perhaps one they felt had a good chance of seizing, with enough energy and time to meet its deadline.

To push it back now just undermines whatever they sacrificed to do it.  I just hope this extension doesn't hurt their chances at victory, simply on a technicality.
  • angrytrout
    I have to agree that this extension is a bit ridiculous and unprofessional. Almost 3 months is way too long for something like this to drag on. That's probably why people aren't finishing; they're just getting tired of it.
  • Sandy
    i totally agreed ANGRYTROUT i saw mostly participants are on near to finish i think so one week extension is too much 
  • GhostChili
    More and better art! We're pushing the medium guys n gals!! Thanks for the extension!
  • luxxo
    ANGRYTROUT- I assume that You are one od the contestants. Am I right?  o:)
  • gav3d
    I agree with ANGRYTROUT. I've been staying up late all this week to get this finished on time and on deadline and I'm quite tired. That being said I'll deal and use the time to get my entry as perfect as I can get it. Now I'm going to bed.
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Well, it's cool for those who were short on time and they will have the time to breath.
    From my point of view (and guess i'm not the only one seeing the others posts), i tried my best to stay in the deadlines and finish my concept on time, so this extension is a bit disappointing even if i understand the decision, and as i said, i'm happy for those who were short on time.

• Rhimor
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhimor vertex
    I'm kind of disappointed as well with the extension. I've been spending all my free time trying to get this finished on time and I think meeting the deadline is part of the challenge. I've half-assed parts in order to make it for the 11th and now remaking stuff would mean that I've spent hours rushing for nothing.
    Anyway, gotta look at stuff positively I guess! Back to texturing it is.
  • nautra
  • melli06
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    I honestly think the reasoning is well justified and the more finished entries the better. I am a little disappointed personally as three months is a long time to have competition, but the reality is that many people started late and there are not that many finished entries. It will at least make this competition more competitive and not make winning based around who finished on time and instead on who has the best piece. :)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm feeling a lot of hate for the extension and I can understand the sacrifices people have made causing frustration.  This probably won't make you feel any better but extensions are almost the norm for these types of contest fellas.  I've participated in my share of these things and almost ALL of them have gotten extensions.  A week is pretty standard and I've been a part of some that have gotten up to 3 weeks.  I always planned for the original deadline but would end up using the extra time to polish my renders, base, etc.  For those of you that took time off, that definitely sucks but in the end, the extension is for everyone and polish can never hurt.  Can't wait to see the finished pieces guys!
  • BIKI
    Offline / Send Message
    BIKI vertex
    OH !! Thank a lot JERC  :D
  • Callisto
    Offline / Send Message
    Callisto vertex
    You are right, guys, of course, all your words and anticipation make sense. I want to share a bit of view from another side) I am totally new to the industry, I have almost no experience at all, and this contest is a perfect stimulus for me, to learn new programs. I don't have any ambitions to get a prize, but it is some sort of a ritual for me, and it needs to be accomplished, otherwise there would be very unsatisfying feeling. I worked hard and lot, and with a whole less joy, than masters who can really do a great and beautiful job. I would finish in time, but I suddenly stuck with baking maps. I didn't think it is such a pain! It did eat days, and I am still not manage it out, really, sometimes I was so helpless I was ready to cry. And I was deeply sad about the fact that I will not make it in time after all. So I can't even tell you, how damn happy am I right now!
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11

Where's the problem? Is good for all...
    I just want to chime in and say, I dont think this is the case. Everyone who finished on time, will now have much less chance of getting top 10. Sure, it's good for everyone who didnt finish, but bad for everyone who did.

When that's said, even though I'm normally against extending deadlines, had I been at Allegorithmic, I would also have voted for extended this one.
  • overcastcloudy
    To me it speaks of a lack of credibility. It's not much of a competition if they can run with the finish line until the one they want to win pulls forward
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't any ulterior motive behind the deadline extension. If the fastest athlete trips an inch from the finish line and the person behind them wins, by elimination, that isn't really winning.
  • angrytrout
    lol... it might be if the finish line was where it was supposed to be ;)
  • byczakrew
    Offline / Send Message
    byczakrew polycounter lvl 4
    eh, "deadline" is named for a reason
  • KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    I am not finished with mine yet, but this feels insulting to the people who actually sacrificed the time to get the project finished.
  • FlexHectic
    On the other hand deadlines and extensions are given all the time in business as long as the best final product is put forward.
    Movie release dates, music albums and video game launches are pushed back to tighten up the work for the consumer on a regular basis. In other words... I might be able to make the new deadline with some serious speed sculpting! lol
    (My first post... Let's do it)

• Johnny_Wuu
    Oh, that's really a good news for me!  I think I can finish my work with the addition time~
  • DigitalNinja
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalNinja polycounter lvl 4
    @endritv I've been swinging the hammer on this contest since day 1. Between work, wife and 2 kids, I'm exhausted. This extension is a welcome relief. :)

well said dude, I'm the same its very welcome. :)
  • razzman
    Offline / Send Message
    razzman polycounter lvl 7
    ok, good to hear that! Then i will keep polishing my work until the extended deadline :)
  • jecastej
    Offline / Send Message
    jecastej polycounter lvl 6
    Yes it is an art contest, the deadline is very important, but I appreciate the extra week, Thanks
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Praise the Polys. I was one of the people that wouldn't be able to make today's deadline, but this will give me ample time to finish my entry!
  • MichaelSchwarz
    A lot of people sound dissatisfied with the extension, but it seems like a great thing for most people involved. Those who rushed to get their submission done in time can relax and finish at their leisure. Those who couldn't make it now have time to catch up. Those who finished early still have an advantage since they get an extra week to polish. All in all, it's a pretty good deal for everyone.

Deadlines are not immutable, and never have been -- they're just a way to give the contest structure, which is still in effect. I hope to see this extension push people to take their submissions even higher.
  • loretah
    Offline / Send Message
    loretah polycounter lvl 7
    I love you guys! I was about to explode trying to finish this on time! After dealing constantly with deadlines at work it's really nice to see some flexibility here, thank you  :*
  • Killwithhonor7
    Offline / Send Message
    Killwithhonor7 polycounter lvl 6
    @endritv  Some of us have other priorities other than this contest my friend. Yes deadlines are absolutely important but this isn't a full-time job it's a contest, they want to see everyone finish and hand in amazing pieces so there's no harm in pushing the deadline. Plus, they apologized to those who have finished before the original deadline so its not like they don't see the faults in the matter. Take this time to perfect on those details even further :)
  • Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
     I think a lot of us noobs have looked at this contest as a chance for an entry point, or at least the chance to get our hands on some nice software and hardware we can't really afford otherwise, so I completely understand all the venting around here.
     I have also made personal sacrifices and very possibly life changing choices to finish in time even if I couldn't. But I won't bring them here just because I know it would have no effect on the judges decisions whatsoever and it really shouldn't even have any!
     I have agreed with a lot of people here before and vented myself in person so I won't bring it upon this forum, then again this was very productive because, I realized soon before the original deadline, that whenever, and every time I will participate on a contest of such manner I will get crushed by the grand masters on this forum which are working in the industry anyway. So I'll just accept my fate and carry on with the extension just to see what I can do with the stuff I learned in all this time. After all, in the end I'll have a new portfolio piece which will be better than any before, and besides being here for the grabs, that was my nr.1 priority to begin with.