Home Technical Talk

SpeedTree Issues

Hey everyone,
I'm hoping someone here can help me, I am having issues with speedtree. I have tired posting on their forums but they are taking forever to answer and I need help ASAP. Currently it is not opening any of the trees I have bought and downloaded off the speedtree site or any of the sample files that came with the program. There is no specific error and nothing I can see comes up in event logs it just freezes and says program not responding. I have tired opening these same files on another pc and they work fine so the files aren't corrupt. Yet I can start a new tree, build a tree, save it and open it again.
My pc is definitely not underpowered and I previously have been able to use these trees up until a few weeks ago. I have looked through recent windows updates and check for anything that has recently changed but have found nothing.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling speedtree but I haven't been able to figure out how to do a clean install as it still seems to leave behind the user pref's.
Has anyone experienced this issue? does anyone know how to fix it or know anything else I can try? can someone direct me to where the user pref's that are getting left behind when I uninstall?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Uninstalling - you could try something like http://www.revouninstaller.com/ , a trial should be enough for a 1 time use.

If it's real vital, my preference is to do a clean Window install altogether. However there are other things you can try, the usual diagnose stuff you know - scan RAM, update graphic cards, update Windows, disable your firewall, etc.
  • reeeen_4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really trust those uninstaller programs, but yes I want to do a clean windows install it is just such a hassle as it's so time consuming.
    Everything so far is up to date and I've tried turning off my firewall and antivirus to see if this made a difference but it hasn't. It's incredibly frustrating that nothing is working.
  • reeeen_4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an FYI for anyone having issues like this or just wanting to do a fresh/clean install of speedtree, go into the registry and navigate to the following location "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" delete the folder called "IDV, Inc." and when you reopen speedtree it will recreate all of this again. They are the user pref's. Speedtree works perfectly again.