Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - The Don

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
korale polycounter lvl 8
Hey everybody! Super excited to participate

This is my interpretation of the classic story of Beauty and the Beast inspired by film noir and the crime wave of the 20th century. 
Here's a short summary!
Set in the years of post-Depression, the 'beast' rose to become the top dog of a rapidly growing underground criminal empire. Having clawed his way to the top, he became an unstoppable, merciless villain. However, despite his life of crime and violence on top of his aggressive appearance, the beast conceals a weakness. His Achilles heel, his lover, is the daughter of a police chief who is sworn to hunt the beast down and dismantle his criminal empire. 
Only 'beauty' possesses the power sway him from his life of violence... :)

FINAL SUBMISSION B) 

The 4 x 4096 texture requirement was broken down into smaller textures.
This was fun! Thanks for looking!

Some concept sketches:

Feedback is greatly appreciated! 

Replies

• Orsony
    Offline / Send Message
    Orsony polycounter lvl 4
    Like your idea. D face is my favourite. It really gives me a vibe from the Columbian gangster in Sicario, and the film noir style and reggie kray high waisted pants seems like it would work great in this. Curious to see where you go with the body proportions. 
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome idea, your sketches really capture the mood! I agree with Orsony that I'm most drawn to face "D".
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you both!! I've been leaning towards C and D as well, both portray the story a little differently!
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, update one!
    Initial anatomy blockout.
    Decided to roll with option 'D' for the face so I'll start blocking that out next!

• korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Blocked out the face and slowly putting together his 3-piece suit. Going to put everything together before going in to detail

• korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    NOW he's all clothed up and I'm working on some extra assets, (colt .38 super, shoulder holster, etc.)
    Detailing pass to come next.

• borodin
    Offline / Send Message
    borodin polycounter lvl 9
    wow!! excellent godfather!! :)
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Beautiful sculpt, great work on the simulation on the suit!! snappy shoes too. The shoulder holstered firearm iis a really slick detail too.
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    borodin said:
    wow!! excellent godfather!! :)
    Kanni3d said:
    Beautiful sculpt, great work on the simulation on the suit!! snappy shoes too. The shoulder holstered firearm iis a really slick detail too.
    Thank you both!
    Here I did some polypainting, re-sculpted the jacket in a static position and fixed the vest.

• TophT
    Offline / Send Message
    TophT polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really digging this one. I like that you are retelling the story of Beauty and the Beast in a different era but keeping the story and themes in tact. I really dig the design too, it's probably one of my favorites. His anatomy is solid, and he has a sorta chunky Michael Chiklis vibe to him. Totally works for this guy. I like that your facial sculpt has captured some of the anguish that is inherent in this character. The clothing is solid and definitely reads as mobster suit, but it's the little details that sell it. The stitching coming out at the shoulder and loosened top button. They all read really well. I would push that skin texturing a little further, more variation in the tones and hues there would help. I would also push that forehead out a little. Look at some pictures of people born with Acromegaly. It's an unfortunate disorder in which the afflicted person's body won't stop growing. Andre the Giant was an example. While I wouldn't make the entire face look that way, a little more protruding brow, a little more cro-magnon, might push him a little more towards the ugly while keeping the humanity of the character in tact.
    Keep it up, I'm really impressed with you work.
    T.

• korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    TophT said:
    I'm really digging this one. I like that you are retelling the story of Beauty and the Beast in a different era but keeping the story and themes in tact. I really dig the design too, it's probably one of my favorites. His anatomy is solid, and he has a sorta chunky Michael Chiklis vibe to him. Totally works for this guy. I like that your facial sculpt has captured some of the anguish that is inherent in this character. The clothing is solid and definitely reads as mobster suit, but it's the little details that sell it. The stitching coming out at the shoulder and loosened top button. They all read really well. I would push that skin texturing a little further, more variation in the tones and hues there would help. I would also push that forehead out a little. Look at some pictures of people born with Acromegaly. It's an unfortunate disorder in which the afflicted person's body won't stop growing. Andre the Giant was an example. While I wouldn't make the entire face look that way, a little more protruding brow, a little more cro-magnon, might push him a little more towards the ugly while keeping the humanity of the character in tact.
    Keep it up, I'm really impressed with you work.
    T.

Thank you!! Took your advice and pushed his facial features a bit more. Added some scarring and details. I'll do another polypainting pass on him! 

Had a slow week but finally got around to completing the high poly

Wrinkling on his jacket. Used the dam standard + crumple brush for the wrinkled elbows.
    Thickness of the clothing was a problem that I ran into a lot while doing this BUT it's figured out now.

Beginning the low poly this week! 

• korale
  • thisisgoingtohurt
    Looks like you're basically done (totally looks like Vinnie Jones, lol)! Spot-on anatomy and amazing job with clothing. Can't wait to see the final piece--keep up the good work, dude!
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like you're basically done (totally looks like Vinnie Jones, lol)! Spot-on anatomy and amazing job with clothing. Can't wait to see the final piece--keep up the good work, dude!
    HA! Now I know who I was mentally projecting onto the sculpt. Thanks a bunch!

Running some painted eye texture tests today. Made it easy to plug in different colors 

• korale
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    time for a texture overhaul :')
  • fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Turning out nicely. Keep it up!
  • korale
    Offline / Send Message
    korale polycounter lvl 8
    Turning out nicely. Keep it up!
    Thanks for the kind words!!! 
  • thisisgoingtohurt
    Very well done! It's clear that you spent a lot of time and effort on this, and because of your resulting clean presentation, I am totally going to copy you as a template for mine. Mua-hahahhhhaaahha!! (Well, maybe not for this project, but for future ones.) Good Job, dude!