Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

first PBR texture try

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Lether polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys !

First, if i'm not at good place, i'm sorry :). Moderator, help me finding the good way :|

I spent my entire week-end to read the AMAZING PBR bible compiled by 3PY0N and looking around for some examples. Finally i decided to give myself a try...

My knowledge about PBR are still a little bit weak so i decided to ask you your tips, critics etc :)

I try here, the specular workflow. Here is the test and the textures !
Hope learning a lot from you guys. Thank you by advance :)

Replies

• allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Not quite sure what type of stone that is, but I believe it needs more specularity. Not much more, but it looks a bit flat. 
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Not quite sure what type of stone that is, but I believe it needs more specularity. Not much more, but it looks a bit flat. 
    Actually i'd say it needs less specularity (you're already heading into the metallic range) and more gloss. Also, the glossiness wouldn't really change based on depth of cracks, and looking at the albedo most of those aren't actually cracks they're striations in the rock, deposits of minerals etc. So where your specular and gloss maps look basically like desaturated versions of the albedo, you should really author entirely new maps for them. the specular would be a largely constant value across the entire map and gloss would vary based on any environmental factors you deem appropriate... but judging from the lack of detailing in the normal, it would seem that the surface would have a fairly consistent gloss value.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with what others have said about the spec/gloss (out of curiosity, why not use roughness/metal?). I do like the detail you have going in the albedo. The minor veins are looking nice, theres a good overall sense of direction to the rock stratification, and some good subtle tone variation throughout. I'd actually push the ambient tone variation more (the larger, blobby color patches that would indicate *what* the rock is composed of) based off the cracking definition in your normal map. Certain materials in the rock would erode away sooner, like the veins.

It's a good start, keep it up!
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys, thank you very much for your answer !!! :)

I'll try to modify the texture and take your advices for my next material authoring :)

I was wondering something : 
    HMM_ROCK, you're talking about roughness/metal, okay, but i don't understand the relation between metalness map, specular map and roughness map. How do i do if i have non-metallic part on my texture to simulate the amount of reflectance (reflection?)? Do i do that with roughness only? 
    For example, to simulate the general reflectance of my material in unreal ed. 4, I plug just the roughness input to roughness? (I made lot of researches these past few days, but it's difficult to me to understand  in depth this metalness workflow, i think i miss something but i don't know what. By the way, sorry for my approximative english. ) 

Thanks once again for talking about PBR with me :)
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Read this:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

There are two main PBR workflows, Metalness Workflow and Specular Workflow.

Metalness is more often used.

When using the metalness workflow, a specular texture is not used.

The textures used are the following:
    Albedo
    Metalness
    Roughness
    Normal
    Ambient Occlusion

If you are creating a material that has ZERO metal in it, the texture for Metalness would be 100% black. The detail for this material would be in the Albedo and Roughness. The roughness texture would determine all the major detail, specifically what is and is not rough and what is and is not glossy/shiny.
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, I think i got it. If I understand well, specular isn't useful anymore in unreal editor 4. 

So, 

- everything in relation with reflection for ZERO METAL goes through the glossiness map and the colour of reflection is "white".
    - everything in relation with reflection for METAL goes through the metalness map and the reflection is colored by the albedo map. Albedo map give the typical coloured reflection of metal.

Am i right? :D:D ?

I already read the amazing documentation of marmoset, but I didn't understand that specular wasn't useful anymore. Now i'm not sure, but i think I understood :)

Thank you for help !! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Lether said:
    Ok, I think i got it. If I understand well, specular isn't useful anymore in unreal editor 4. 

So, 

- everything in relation with reflection for ZERO METAL goes through the glossiness map and the colour of reflection is "white".
    - everything in relation with reflection for METAL goes through the metalness map and the reflection is colored by the albedo map. Albedo map give the typical coloured reflection of metal.

Am i right? :D:D ?

I already read the amazing documentation of marmoset, but I didn't understand that specular wasn't useful anymore. Now i'm not sure, but i think I understood :)

Thank you for help !! :)
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion#metalvspec
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, I understood, i think. Now i need to train myself to "mettre tout ça en musique" as we said it in french.
    Thank you everyone for your patience and your kindness with your answer :) !