Home Technical Talk

Nub Question About 3D Modeling:

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Thessera vertex
Can i allow polygons to "end up" inside the character? 
Like when i make hair i want the hair to be close to the head.. which makes some parts go inside the head..
i heard that it's bad.. ( idk if it only apply to 3d printing ).

This drive me nuts.. since i try to avoid it at all costs and it limits me greatly

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    you heard wrong. It's fine
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    The best polygons are on the inside.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    It only really harms in-engine rendering if you were to be making a static model that will be lightmapped.  Since this would be a character, the model will most likely be a dynamic entity thus meaning geo shoved into other geo (which is a normal thing to do, to be completely honest) completely harmless.  Even if you are lightmapping an object, and there is geo intersecting, it still will not be the end of the world depending on scale of maps and how geo is distributed.  
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Add3r said:
    It only really harms in-engine rendering if you were to be making a static model that will be lightmapped.  Since this would be a character, the model will most likely be a dynamic entity thus meaning geo shoved into other geo (which is a normal thing to do, to be completely honest) completely harmless.  Even if you are lightmapping an object, and there is geo intersecting, it still will not be the end of the world depending on scale of maps and how geo is distributed.  

dont complicate things, he probably dost even know what a lightmap is :P

but yeah, honestly its totally fine.
  • Thessera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thessera vertex
    Add3r said:

What is a "static model"? o.o

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    A static model would mean something that does not move.

As long as you don't get into the habit of having large amounts of polygons sitting inside of your model you'll be okay.
  • Thessera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thessera vertex
    Wesley said:
    A static model would mean something that does not move.

As long as you don't get into the habit of having large amounts of polygons sitting inside of your model you'll be okay.
    Oh i see, thanks :)

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    lotet said:
    Add3r said:
    -snip-
     dont complicate things, he probably dost even know what a lightmap is :P

but yeah, honestly its totally fine.
    lol sorry, true that.  To answer simply, yes, it is totally fine to have a handful of verts intersecting other geometry.  Wesley put it well.