Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Beast - Ice prince

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Zalkan polygon

Final submission :

• 4x 4096px textures set for the character.
  • 1x 2048px for the pedestal.
  • 78043 triangles for the character.
  • 4800 triangles for the pedestal.
  • Rendered on Iray with a background swap.
  • The base material of the ice is made from "Icy Cliffs" by Matt Dirks. Uses for the Rougness/height/metalness information bases of the material before being covered by a bunch of others layers :)

"He was a cold and wrathful king, loved only by his queen, Belle. One day, he went frenzy, slashing away everything in his path. The Queen entered the room. Blinded by rage, he stabbed her in the chest.

He went to see the witch who accepted to help him but tricked him, turning the kingdom into ice. As a punishment, he would be turned into an horrifying beast freezing everything in his path.

He is now waiting, in the garden of roses, loved by his Queen, in hope that destiny will send another « Belle » to free him"

Full frame shot : 

Close up shot : 

Wireframe

Uv texture Set 1  - Armor and clothing 4096px

Uv texture Set 1  - Pedestal 2048px

See ya !
------
Sketchfab Model :
model

Concept :

I hope you will like it, feel free to comment :)
Thank you !

Replies

• Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Here is some sculpting on Zbrush 

And finally a first rough of textures on Substance painter :

• Callisto
    Offline / Send Message
    Callisto vertex
    He has an expression! And I like the foot) Good luck!
  • Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    I can't wait to see the void eyes! This looks amazing :D
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Thanks for the comments :)!
    I hope you will like the update

• Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    I swear this is my favorite entry, what did you render with, any compositing? Looks amazeballs <3
     Hats off to you sir!
  • gbball
    Offline / Send Message
    gbball polycounter lvl 9
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Wow, thanks you guys :) !
    Well, i just tried Iray in Substance painter 2 to see what it could do ... and i'm quite impressed by the quality of the lighting for a really fast render time. 

Here is two new screenshots : Nothing really new for the eyes, but i tried to tone down the colors a bit and did a lot of tweaking on the shaders and textures to obtain something a bit more subtle (well, i hope it is anyway ! ). I added some blood and wounds too. The face has more contrast and i tried to make it a bit scarier. Anyway, i hope you'll like it !

Next part is the pedestal !

• Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Hello,
    Here is an update of my beast. I'm working on the final renders right now so feel free to comment if you see something that is bothering you ! Thanks.

Also, here is a Sketchfab link of my creature

model

• Nwait
    Good work ! I do like it ! (and congrats for your staff pick sketchfab publication)
  • DavidAguero
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidAguero vertex
    awesome work, great materials!
  • Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    I seriously hyperventilated there for like 5 minutes while browsing the sketchfab, afreakin'mazing. Clear winner I'd say,at least in my heart.
  • BrianDolan89
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work 
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Thanks you guys ! Really appreciated :smile:
    Here is a quick update about the color tone of the final renders ... i'm hesitating between 3 versions. 

A neutral/frost light, i like it, feels natural but maybe too much : 

A warm light, not a big fan of it, doesn't fit with the character : 

A moonlight/cold/"dark souls style" light, I like this one for the dramatic tone ... maybe too dark ?

Anyway, feel free to comment wich one you prefer ! Thanks !
  • Seavannah
    Love this Beast. I would free him lol love the snow and cold anyways lol. Really love the pose, almost a Hamlet pose "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him"
    Just an idea is there anyway to make a gradient background? maybe using the color of the stones he is kneeling on as the bottom part of the gradient and the blue colors you like maybe even a mixture of the two. Or to make a steam of light as if the sun coming out from behind the clouds.
    I love the glow coming off of him in the 1st BG color, the armor looks great and the rose more clear in the 2nd BG color, and the skin/ice and face looks awesome in the 3rd BG color.
    Truly love this and hope to hear something about Belle or his possible love intrest in your updated story will say though love the story too about the ice and cold. Awesome works hope he finds some 1 to warm his heart again. 
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Seavannah said:
    Love this Beast. I would free him lol love the snow and cold anyways lol. Really love the pose, almost a Hamlet pose "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him"
    Just an idea is there anyway to make a gradient background? maybe using the color of the stones he is kneeling on as the bottom part of the gradient and the blue colors you like maybe even a mixture of the two. Or to make a steam of light as if the sun coming out from behind the clouds.
    I love the glow coming off of him in the 1st BG color, the armor looks great and the rose more clear in the 2nd BG color, and the skin/ice and face looks awesome in the 3rd BG color.
    Truly love this and hope to hear something about Belle or his possible love intrest in your updated story will say though love the story too about the ice and cold. Awesome works hope he finds some 1 to warm his heart again. 
    Hello Seavannah, Thank you very much for your support and the feedbacks !
    I tried to take your advice into account and i ended up mixing most of the HDR to obtain something with more emotion. 
    So i decided to pick the warm light for the front for a "dawn" symbolic light and kept the cold ligh in the back, with a mix of the neutral to create a gradient between the two sides. 

I also tried the gradient on the background, to see if works. What i don't like about gradients is that they don't handle image compression really well, so i will have to watch out for that on my final renders. Also, i lost the "Glow effect" of Iray with the transparency.

I agree with you about the backstory, i didn't had the time to "rewrite" it but it will definitely contain references  about Belle ! And the point about Hamlet was one of the starting ideas, glad you saw trough that ;)

So here we go for the almost final lighting, i hope you guys will like it, as always, feel free to comment !
    With the gradient : 
    Without : 

• Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Hey I know this might sound funny but I was reading your last post and my monitor is kinda dirty, and while scrolling the image with the gradient was exactly where the dirt is and I was thinking how good it looks with particles in the background, like flying leaves, rain or something with bigger particles, like snow falling. If you have the time, I think you should definitely try it, a light snowfall would totally give it a kick! :D I'm definitely for the gradient one but with the base color of the lower one looks better, it accents the bricks.
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Yoji said:
    Hey I know this might sound funny but I was reading your last post and my monitor is kinda dirty, and while scrolling the image with the gradient was exactly where the dirt is and I was thinking how good it looks with particles in the background, like flying leaves, rain or something with bigger particles, like snow falling. If you have the time, I think you should definitely try it, a light snowfall would totally give it a kick! :D I'm definitely for the gradient one but with the base color of the lower one looks better, it accents the bricks.
    Hello Yoji ! Thanks again for the support, i really appreciate it :)
    For the dust/snow particles ... well i tried to add some in the background to create an atmosphere. I hope you'll like it !

This will be my final post for this challenge, i had to make it short for the backstory since it's onlye 100 words.
    Anyway, it's been fun working on that beast ! Good luck to everyone for the few days left !

Final submission :

• 4x 4096px textures set for the character.
    • 1x 2048px for the pedestal.
    • 78043 triangles for the character.
    • 4800 triangles for the pedestal.
    • Rendered on Iray with a background swap.
    • The base material of the ice is made from "Icy Cliffs" by Matt Dirks. Uses for the Rougness/height/metalness information bases of the material before being covered by a bunch of others layers

"He was a cold and wrathful king, loved only by his queen, Belle. One day, he went frenzy, slashing away everything in his path. The Queen entered the room. Blinded by rage, he stabbed her in the chest.

He went to see the witch who accepted to help him but tricked him, turning the kingdom into ice. As a punishment, he would be turned into an horrifying beast frozing everything in his path.

He is now waiting, in the garden of roses, loved by his Queen, in hope that destiny will send another « Belle » to free him"

Full frame shot : 

Close up shot : 

Wireframe

Uv texture Set 1  - Armor and clothing 4096px

Uv texture Set 1  - Pedestal 2048px

See ya !
  • luxxo
    Hi! Very "cool" entry and final presentation. I guess that You've used some kind of SSS shader. Is this the one from Substance Share site?
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    luxxo said:
    Hi! Very "cool" entry and final presentation. I guess that You've used some kind of SSS shader. Is this the one from Substance Share site?
    Thanks  for the comment :)
    Well i used the shader "Icy Cliffs" from Matt Dirks as a base for the roughness/metalness/height of my ice (thanks for reminding me to put credits for his work on my final post) but beyond that it's personal work based on what i saw on various skin shaders, like the use of emissive in a gradient with a thickness map for the fake scattering effect. To be honest, i never used substance share, so i'll give it a try next time !

• Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    You left me in complete awe, truly, this is a masterpiece! :) I am flattered you used the snow. Amazing.
    If you ever do a breakdown on it I wanna be the first one to subscribe!
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Thanks Yoji ! I hope you'll finish your beast in time too :)
  • fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    This is a great entry with a verry unique design. Good luck! 
  • Zielarz
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Awsome work! I like the mood of it. Great shader work and textures! You nailed it ;)
  • DavidAguero
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidAguero vertex
    great shading and texturing skills, final render looks awesome!
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
    Thank you for the comments guys ! Really nice of you :)
  • phaselock
    Wow, the translucency came out real nice. Good luck and cheers ! :)
  • Zalkan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalkan polygon
  • Johnny_Wuu
    The model is not outstanding. But awesome materials and rendering!