Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Temple of Aphelion

EDIT: Latest Update:

Live Stream Videos: https://youtu.be/h2HEqdmlcCw?list=PLjnAnxiuhYlwcBGObifIHDBH2qfhnu9xd

8YE3Coy.jpg

Greetings Polycount,

In an attempt to bring my portfolio up to date to better reflect my skills, I have decided to devote most of my free time in creating an environment in UE4.

The environment will be based on a fantasy type of temple, tucked away inside a massive cavern. The focus will be an obelisk type object that is chained down by 4 corner objects (most likely statues).

For the mood I have put together a Pinterest board (my new favorite thing) to help me get some ideas and concepts based on real world settings.
https://www.pinterest.com/eldridgesam/temple-ideas/
4pL6ZQz.jpg

Here is a quick blockout I did in Maya just to get a feel for size and scale:
8_6_progress.png

As well as a quick blockout inside UE4:
8_6_progress4.png

So far I have also modeled the first rock I will be using, and just got it textured. This will server as the rock around the base and some of the larger cave walls as well. The texture on them still needs some alterations, but I will fix that as time goes on.

chAI8rq.jpg
dNrQUQO.jpg
43tPeTp.jpg
mffs41Q.jpg
VN4KfxU.jpg

I still have a very long way to go, but I will be updating as often as I can. Any comments, critiques, suggestions, or ideas are always appreciated.

Replies

• Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Rocks/cave looks fantastic so far!
  • Unimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unimus polycounter lvl 3
    This looks like it will turn out quite well! I am looking forward to seeing your progression with it!
  • Richardvbr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, can't wait to see more
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time to continue working on the environment today. Finished up a rough outline of how I want the cave to be shaped and where I want the major light sources to come from. I also worked to establish an overall mood so I can see how the rest of my models and textures react when placed in the scene.

Next I'll be tackling the center islands and seeing how I want to flush those out and then see if I need to make adjustments to the overall cave based on those.

LH3CrQx.jpg
    b5kT5pK.jpg
    De5SERP.jpg
    J8i89GQ.jpg
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to this
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the encouraging comments so far. Currently I am getting some work in my limited free time and focusing on sculpting up a new set of rocks that will act as the top of the central islands. For anyone interested, I've also started live streaming some of my progress over on Twitch. If you would like to check it out you can see it here - http://www.twitch.tv/disheveledzen/v/11948688

R4UCQOO.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working through this when I can.

I finished up the flat, broken looking rock section I was working on, got it all baked out and textured and through it in the level. Adding these in to give the appearance that the ground has maybe broken away over time. Eventually there will be waterfalls and such hitting the rocks and cascading down into the lower levels, but all in due time.

I also created several terrains in World Machine and got them in to Maya to create some lower poly terrain meshes. I'll add these to the background of the open areas of the cave so its not just staring straight out into nothingness. I also am porting the livestreams I do of this build over to youtube for anyone who is interested: https://youtu.be/h2HEqdmlcCw?list=PLjnAnxiuhYlwcBGObifIHDBH2qfhnu9xd

EWXSqj1.jpg
    1UB107I.jpg
    MimJH7c.png
    8YE3Coy.jpg
    SXrj9F1.jpg
    Non2hmS.jpg
    xNJgNKD.png
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more work done today. Blocked out a concept for the pillar and got it into zBrush to start sculpting.

IqYfi8g.png
    m4IktMO.jpg
    DZCULsF.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Sam,
    Nice to see your progress.
    There's not much to say for now, except that the current lighting seems good enough and the rocks look great.
    I went to your blog and read through the different stages of your work. I found some nice tips. Thanks for documenting your process.
  • mobiuscog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was great to watch the livestream today and I appreciate you answering all the questions - looking forward to the continuing sculpt.
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. I know it's been a while since I last updated this thread, but I actually landed a job as a UE4 ArchViz designer and that has kept me quite busy. Now that things have calmed down some, I decided to go back and finish up this project seeing I had already put a lot of work into it. 

Pushed through a good portion of the pillar, and just have the top left to finish which I will be aiming at finishing tomorrow. This is my first time sculpting something of this sort, so I've made plenty of mistakes but learned a lot along the way as well. 

• metrons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you mind sharing something i cant figure out how you're doing in this video. (killer work btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2HEqdmlcCw

...how on earth are you sculpting with Z intensity 100? that's something thats always bugged me in zbrush. i have to have my z intensity down to like...6 when i sculpt on the cintiq. ive always felt this was odd. if i dont have a super low number any brush seems to blast away whatever it touches.  do you change any preference or anything? i'd love to have much finer intensity control, i've always felt ive missed something in zbrush. really appreciate any info on this. love your youtube page. subscribed, everyhting is killer. 

also, I noticed in this video, you're using a ...trim smooth border brush with some special alpha? could you please share what your alpha is? if not, i totally understand, im curious what using an alpha on that brush does? really appreciate insight to your process. 
    cheers!
  • purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Fantastic work so far, your rocks and pillar are coming along very nicely!
    Is all the lighting going to be natural light coming from the outside? Can't wait to see more
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys!

@matrons

The 100 intensity has mostly to do with that alpha which takes a little getting used to. You can see around :45 seconds into the video you linked where it applies very heavily and I have to undo it. I'm also on a very small brush size and very negative focal shift which forces you to up the intensity with that alpha. Other than that everything is stock zBrush settings. 

The alpha itself is from the Pixologic website, you can grab it here: http://download.pixologic01.com/download.php?f=/library/alphas/mokthemagicman/rocks/sw_rocksandcracks_46.zip

If for some reason that link doesn't work, head to https://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/  then search under rocks and you will see it towards the bottom. 

@purplekami

I'll rely probably as much as I can on the skylight/directional light to give most of the mood lighting. I would like to get some fire in there as well to help get some contrasting colors in the light, especially as the orange/yellows from fire would contrast well with the blues from the moonlight. 

Now that I'm settled into my new job I am going to start getting back into streaming. I should be working on the low poly version this weekend as I got everything exported from zBrush. 

• barcy707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those rocks though. Hnnng. Please teach me your ways.
  • Disheveled Zen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barcy707 said:
    watch
    Those rocks though. Hnnng. Please teach me your ways.
    I wouldn't consider myself a master by any stretch of the imagination, but really its just practice, practice, and more practice. My first few attempts at rocks (the ones I don't show anyone) all looked quite terrible and formless. Rocks are probably one of the hardest environmental shapes to sculpt just because we see them every day of our lives, so when they don't look right, its horribly obvious. 

I went through a ton of tutorials to learn and see how others were approaching them. Probably one of the best series I found was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zba75oVqxw which is where I found both that MAT material and the alpha to use. I don't follow this method exactly and do a few things differently, for example I create my base mesh in Maya and import it into zBrush so I can get a good started shape and scale for my scene before the sculpt, but most of the sculpting techniques are fairly similar. 

I also have a pinterest board that's nothing but rock formations that I always have open when I am sculpting. There is so much natural science that goes into how rocks are shaped that it's a really good idea to have as many references as you can and not try to just