Home Technical Talk

Texture freakness?

So I've been having a problem with this model and I'm wondering if its even salvageable:

I go into the UV texture editor and unfold and such, a lot of this sticks where it appeared at first, including after making entirely new maps, I have no idea whats going on with this texturing freakshow, lol.

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    this is obviously due to broken uvs, you should unwrap it properly.

also thanks for using my unwrapchecker, there is a newer version online tho

http://www.steffenunger.com/checker_512.gif

• Aisha_Starling
    "Unwrap it properly" maybe you could elaborate on that a bit?

The steps I know (from new UV map) is to:
    1. Project the entire object to create the UVs
    2. Break the object apart as needed by splitting UV edges
    3. Project each individually one at a time (going from step 3 to the end for each)
    4. Split any cylindrical pieces as necessary
    5. Unfold/Relax Pieces as you see fit

The problem comes in before the UV map is even formed, and persists after any process I use to correct it.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    right now it looks like only the head and the arms have somewhat proper UVs

show us the uv sheet, this is most likely an issue with broken uvs, looks like something that was generated on a primitive you worked from there and as there is no on the fly autounwrapping stuff is broken.

So i would suggest you do a tutorial about unwrapping.
  • Aisha_Starling
    You're funny. In any case, I've taken classes for this, it has to be a bug somewhere along the lines working on the model. Yes the UVs are "broken".. however this isn't changed no matter what I try. A new UV map does not change the Model's broken UVs, I suppose whatever it had to begin with. And, unwrapping the model (which yes I understand perfectly well) only adjusts parts of the area I defined to unwrap and of course then proceeded to unwrap. Would deleting the first map allow the UVs to be made, a new, with a new map? Is it possible it is stuck attached to the first map even if you're applying an entirely new map? Or does the map have nothing to do with the UVs of the model at all? Even though applying a new map makes it appear on the model that the UVs are fixed?
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    Did you change anything on the texture placement node? If yes, delete it, or reset it to its default values.
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be, that the wrong UV set is being displayed. Use the UV Set Editor to copy your proper UVs to the first UV Set
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I've seen Maya display weirdo UVs based on which viewport renderer you are using.  Try cycling between Default, High Quality, and Viewport 2.0 to see if there is any visible change.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe delete all uv channels but the one you want active? You still didnt post your UVs. Sorry if i cam across dickish, but the amount of info we had at this point wasnt helping your case. Or just upload your Maya scene if thats possible
  • Aisha_Starling
    I still don't know what you mean by posting my UVs, however I finally got it, it just hated me using different maps, the first one fixed itself somehow, you cant delete the default map for whatever reason, but it fixed itself finally, I don't know how, but I projected the pieces off it and the textures are working right. Damn these silly programs that love to mess with me. X)
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    "Posting UVs" means showing a screenshot of the UV Editor with the UVS