Home Technical Talk

Help with Maya - making skewed gear rail.. thingy

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zodd polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I suppose there is something along these lines inside "how you model them shapes" thread, but so far the search didnt come up with anything useful.. now onto the problem.

As you see i've managed to make slanted edge loops in the mesh, the problem is they were made manually, no problem if the number of loops is <5-10 but if you have 20+... gets time consuming.
I know i can make only one and then duplicate it but then i cant adjust the size/number of teeth needed on the gear rail, and that turns it into edge noodling and time gets wasted results are .. meh-ish and i think there must be a simpler solution to this, hope someone more experienced can help me with it.

The image below better illustrates what im trying to make. It's skewed gear rail part, (only slanted teeth on the rail):

And i swear there was a way to do this in maya 2012 by adding an edge loop and then selecting the "add edge loop modifier" and rotating it by x degrees so that it makes rail with slanted edge loops that i can extrude teeth, from, however i cant find the same thing in maya 2016??

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not familiar with a way to rotate an edge loop like that, sounds like a max thing.

Start with your long cube set at whatever divisions you need, and hit up the "Shear" part of the transform node in the attribute editor.
    Or just take one whole side of the cube and drag it down. You can use snapping if you need the bottom of the right side to be flush with the top of the left.
    If you need more, detach and duplicate one section.
    Build end caps, easy peasy.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, an easier way to get the teeth all in one shot:
    Cube w/divisions, select all the faces you're going to extrude. Uncheck "keep together", pull them out, then scale inwards with the extrude manipulator.

• Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, thanks for the reply, planned on doing that type of extrude but if for instance i've managed to make the slanted divisions (without moving edges/verts manually) and then applied extrude and taper to get the teeth, i believe maya would instantly be able to reduce number of teeth, their slant and other parameters...
    And that gave me an idea, maybe there's a solution in using skew modifier or some other deformer combined with standard (non slanted :( ) divisions and extrudes, i dont know why i dont use deformers more often but i need to change that in the future.
    Gonna go and run some tests now :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    In my experience smart selections like Selection Constraints and sometimes Quick Select Sets can be very useful for stuff like this.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I don't see where that skewed part you did manually on the right is used in that gear/rail you have in the photo. :sweat: 
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, sry for the confusion, the example photo is not 100% exact thing im trying to replicate, the rail has the general shape but is slanted, the mesh on the left is the result of non tweaked add divisions command, one on the right is the desired effect.. that i cant remember how i did, but i did it couple of months ago while using maya 2012.... i know how it sounds :) ,  gonna try and make screenshots of how i think it worked.

Below is a best approach i managed to come up with, keeping it relatively non-destructive while being able to zoom out and see if the gear teeth match the ones in image (eyeballing approach) .

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Seems you've got a solution already.
    I can think of another one right of the bat and maybe even more ways to do it that doesn't cost more/less depending on amount of teeth. But what is the end goal here? Do you need to be able to change amount of teeth on the fly and having the mesh update? Is it always in a rectangular straight layout like in your later screenshot?
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, now all i need to do is eyeball the shape :)

The end goal is to figure out the workflow for use in the situations when i dont have exact measures and/or ortho images to use as guidelines.
    In this situation i have photo reference ( not the one uploaded earlier ) which is unclear on how the profile of the gears looks so i have to eyeball the general look and feel of the part.
    Yeah changing the number of teeth on the fly would be very useful, current approach can expand on the number of teeth but for instance increasing number of teeth between two fixed points is tedious ( hence the mention of somehow using "add divisions" in the process )

In this case its straight rectangular layout and come to think of it that would probably be enough since with some simple equations i would be able to make circular gear (wheel) figure out the circumference and the number of teeth, make straight rail with the length of circumference > add required number of teeth > merge or group > and then use bend deformer cranked up to make it circular.

And by all means, please share any approach you may think of, this started as a particular question but ill take any chance i can get to expand my knowledge :)

• throttlekitty
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Sure, gonna check it out, thanks a lot.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    My solution was along throttlekitty's approach. Extruding without keeping faces together. Gets you quite far if you are making teeth on rails/cogs like you're doing. Then just transforming or rotating them all together afterwards to get them skewed.