quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yep, it's a very pretty game. The motion blur especially is well done and adds to the cinematic feel.

I would like to see more done with water though as that area of the tech still looks extremely basic compared to the rest (would be neat if they did something like in Uncharted where the character actually got wet and dried as he moved...drowned rat Ratchet to the rescue!).
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    So I have to ask, how did they achieve the fur? 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really looking forward to playing this, looks beautiful. My guess for the fur would be a parralax noise controlled through a mask so that the areas which dont need fur dont get any eg around eyes and mouth and nose etc. I dont know how they get it to affect the silhouette like that though, some of it is still alpha cards in my opinion ( for example all the big unique parts on the older dude in the last pic).
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    ROTCHET AND KLONK
    yas!

Love the way it looks also love the insomniac presentation which was kinda focused around this. Good stuff.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Pre-ordered this a year ago when they first showed footage. SO excited it comes out soon. Never played the other ones. This will be my first. But ya. Definitely excited for it.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you end up liking it, I highly recommend Crack In Time on PS3, best game in the series imo (Up Your Arsenal on PS2 is also good, but avoid the PS3 HD collection version for that one since its buggy and has all post effects removed).
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Shinigami said:
    who remembers the ps2 times where u could eject a disc and it would still keep the game running to a certain extend. I remember doing it for fun in ratchet and clnak 3 and my ratchet got bigger and bigger while performing certain button combos.
    I remember doing that with all kinds of games. I think it is able to play whatever was saved to the RAM (or something).

In Castlevania on Playstation 1, I remember if you went through a door, it would just turn the screen black, and never load the next room. And the music would often screw up after a minute. It was always fun doing those things as a kid. I feel like it's part of the folklore of games, for our generations.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh wow - the level of polish on this is AMAZING.  The lighting/ shaders and FX really help to pull all this together into a really high quality package.

We're seriously getting close to the levels of an animated feature film with titles like this.  The future is here now boys!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    :smiley:  this looks AWESOME!!!!!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    FAT_CAP said:
    Oh wow - the level of polish on this is AMAZING.  The lighting/ shaders and FX really help to pull all this together into a really high quality package.

We're seriously getting close to the levels of an animated feature film with titles like this.  The future is here now boys!
    This.  I had to stop and legitimately spend a minute to determine if I was looking at the film trailer or game trailer.  Insomniac is bringing their games to a whole new level recently, first with Sunset Overdrive, and now R&C.  Really impressed with their work.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm super excited for this!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People joked last gen when some said it was on par with Pixar but, I think they are pretty dam close now!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah this is gorgeous. Cannot wait!
  • The Lama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lama polycounter lvl 5
    Such stellar eye candy, would love to see an art dump of all the various gadgets/weaponry made for this game.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic Job! I love how beautiful everything is!
    I really have to STARE at the silhouettes to see the geometry.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    That rendering engine is sexy, what are they using ?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Can't wait for people to finally be able to play this. Everybody did an awesome job on it, and I'm super excited to see some of the characters I worked on finally onscreen. Also, big shout out to the guys who took my stuff and actually made it usable in-game.

That rendering engine is sexy, what are they using ?
    Insomniac's internal engine. The engine/tools are proprietary, though we're using PBR materials that are very similar to UE4/Marmoset.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Got my ps4 this week in preparation.  Looks great!
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Love the look of this game. Anyone seen any art documents floating around on it? Artdumps? GDC?
    Cheers in advance

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Played this a bunch a couple of weeks ago. Really beautiful art, and really fun! Not such a big fan of how many cutscenes there are, but I do see why they're there, and some people probably love them.

I went into the game expecting it to be ok, but worth it to see the art, and was really surprised by just how good it was. I couldn't put it down.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Really enjoyed the new Ratchet and Clank. Obviously it was fucking gorgeous! The game was different enough from the original but still had all those notes of nostalgia and humor the series has been known for.

It really dose just keep looking more and more like a Pixar movie. Hope to see more.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Having never played the originals, or any other game in the series, I absolutely LOVED this game. Super fun. Gorgeous. Just made me smile from end to end. 
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, gonna have to get this one... looks awesome.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    So I have to ask, how did they achieve the fur? 

I always assumed it was a mixture of alpha cards (for the wispy bits on Azimuth for example), and something done in code (much like this: http://www.xbdev.net/directx3dx/specialX/Fur/)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty much exactly how it's done. The fur is shader-driven and includes a bunch of parameters for spacing shells, painting fur direction, and adjusting opacity/density. I was actually looking at the shader with one of my coworkers on Wednesday.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    I actually did a little digging into after after playing Ratchet since it looked so good and tried to emulate it, but the downside is I can't code haha. But that article was interesting anyways. I tried to create a similar effect without code/custom shaders and well.. eh. Needs more work ;) 

I remember spending ages in Ratchet using the sniper rifle to zoom in on the sheep, and trying to figure out the fur/wool technique. Are they done the same way as Ratchet is? They looked a little different.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't say for certain about the sheep, though it's probably a similar setup. Since Ratchet is onscreen at all times, his shaders are a little more heavy and high-res than other characters.