Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Shendra

Hi guys!!

I've made this character just for my portfolio and would appreciate some criticism.
It has ~24k Faces (spear included).

Maybe you have some advice for rendering hair...? As you can see the outcome is not the best. I've got some alpha channel outlines. What shader do you recommend for hair like this? (I am using Maya), and why do I have to increase Ambient Color to make the Color visible? :neutral: 
it's the first time I've done hair like this :smile: 

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    for hair I recommend watching this UE4 twitch stream about the character design of Paragon. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLJh5nnJA8
    In it they go over the process of how they created the hair. While it won't give you exactly what you need, its a good reference point.

As for critique,
    your cloth folds are too strong and should be more subtle.
    the silhouette of this character lacks shape and is kind of dull, it does not represent 24k tris.
    there doesn't appear to be any lighting in your scene.
    some of the clothing pieces don't blend with the clothing around them, so they look separated. i.e. no shadow under/ around the belt
    the belt looks brand new compared to the clearly worn and dirty clothing. Do you have an explanation for this?
    facial structure is wrong, mouth to small, lacking eye lids etc.. I get that this character isn't human, but the the head looks more like you lack understanding of anatomy rather than changing the face for aesthetic design reasons.

Hope this is useful.

• Sheranuva
    Thank you for your reply. For the lack of lighting, the explanation is simple. There was no lighting setup done yet. Thanks for the hint about the belts, they really look to new. Do you have an advice for making the shape more interesting?
    I'll work over the face and the cloth folds again. I'm still at the beginning of everything :smile: 
  • Sheranuva
    Update... After talking to a Game Designer I've changed some things. Now she has better anatomy (face, arms and legs), a more interesting shape and better belt textures. And a lighting setup! :)  crits welcome! 
  • aaronhiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronhiggins polycounter lvl 3
    Her facial structure still seems a little off, her eyes and mouth are much too high. I feel like you could make the clothing look even more ragged with some clever texturing, try using transparency to make holes and tears.
  • Sheranuva
    Great Idea with the holes and tears, thanks! I'll try that out! And I'll see that I can fix the face.
  • Blade113
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
    cool stuff, i wish u luck further on this