Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mont's Environment Art Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Montreseur polycounter lvl 6
Here is a scene I am working on for a current project. Still an early work in progress, being mostly the "broad-stroke" modular infrastructure at this tiem. More detail, and modular break up in passes to come. Critiques more than welcome, thanks guys.

Tools- Maya LT, Zbrush 4r7, Substance Designer, SpeedTree, and World Machine.

Replies

• Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great!

Some nicer lighting with some colour in teh ambient would sell thsi alot more -
    The first iamge has alot of nosie in the grass area - i would tonethat back and add more trees, this will sell the scale of the rest.
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo said:
    Looks great!

Some nicer lighting with some colour in teh ambient would sell thsi alot more -
    The first iamge has alot of nosie in the grass area - i would tonethat back and add more trees, this will sell the scale of the rest.
    Yeah the ambient is pretty grey scale. The time of day system has all kinds of various gradients, this is mid-day and rather "plain", but I could definitely do some tweaking to bring it to life better.

Are you talking about the larger perlin noise over the textures, it is rather noisey. 

More trees will come! Definitely needs to be filled in more.

thank you for all of the critique, much appreciated.
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have anything else?
  • Cube Republic
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Montreseur. I don't have any experience with big scenes, but I like what I'm seeing here. My only feedback is perhaps the conifers look a bit blotchy . Maybe the texture needs more negative space>?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow that is massive! for me the procedural looking sky is killing the realism/atmosphere a bit, especially in the first shot
  • Demonith
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work might can u show a workflow or something ?
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged said:
    wow that is massive! for me the procedural looking sky is killing the realism/atmosphere a bit, especially in the first shot
    Yeah, sky will be an on going work, have some really neat ideas for it!

Demonith said:
    Awesome work might can u show a workflow or something ?
    Ah that is actually a great idea, I would really like some critique on my workflow as well. It would be quite long as it sort of changes depending on what "phase" I am working on.
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    New area-

Video with some fly throughs and TOD time lapse.
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/common/video/wilds_end.mp4

• Luxap
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Montreseur, 
    Really cool project you got going! Love the new pieces more then the older pieces, just that the place itself feels more alive then the other "dead" grey castle, but that could be the mood you were going for. Also are you using PBR? Because is seems that you could push the materials a little further, everything feels kind of the same.

But I really do like the lighting and the atmosphere that you have set in the last area although the transition from night to day feels a little abrupt, I do want so see more!
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap said:
    Hi Montreseur, 
    Really cool project you got going! Love the new pieces more then the older pieces, just that the place itself feels more alive then the other "dead" grey castle, but that could be the mood you were going for. Also are you using PBR? Because is seems that you could push the materials a little further, everything feels kind of the same.

But I really do like the lighting and the atmosphere that you have set in the last area although the transition from night to day feels a little abrupt, I do want so see more!

Currently I am on the only artist on the project, so I am having to sacrifice some quality to keep my grueling pace. I also have to design extremely modularly to get the most out of every asset, I wish I could spend more time and break some of it up. There will be more passes in the future for detail and break up of modularity; but as it stands I need to keep moving from area to area and build infrastructure. These zones are far from done.

The castle is supposed to be a bit forboding and "strong" looking- I our game humans have it pretty good and like to flex their power a bit.

I am using Unitys standard PBR shader, the reason it may seem like I am not getting a whole lot of out the materials is the sheer size of the objects, which is mitigated with detail tiling textures and normals. I also cannot spend a whole lot of time on texturing, everything has to move so fast. I generally use color IDs and set up custom instanced materials in graphs that I can plug baked maps into (Curvature, Normals, AO, and Position) and a lot of texturing is automatic for me. Which is great for timing. 

Everything is kind of feeling the same, for instance I the castle I am going to be going through with statues, fencing, banners, etc at a certain phase and really break things up a bit more.

Second area is the Halfling starting city, we want really varied looking areas because the world the game takes place in is a "planar collision" of worlds essentially. So the contrast between different types of zones, colors, and atmospheres will be really nice as players explore the world.

The day to night shot is a sped up time lapse, if that is what you meant by it being too abrupt? There still needs to be lots of adjustement to the lighting at various times of days, and their length curve does need some adjusting though.

Will definitely keep posting more as I can, as I generally have to wait for things to be released before I can privately post.

Greatly appreciate any and all critique. Feel free to ask any questions anyone.
  • Luxap
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Luxap said:
    Hi Montreseur, 

Currently I am on the only artist on the project, so I am having to sacrifice some quality to keep my grueling pace. I also have to design extremely modularly to get the most out of every asset, I wish I could spend more time and break some of it up. There will be more passes in the future for detail and break up of modularity; but as it stands I need to keep moving from area to area and build infrastructure. These zones are far from done.

The castle is supposed to be a bit forboding and "strong" looking- I our game humans have it pretty good and like to flex their power a bit.

I am using Unitys standard PBR shader, the reason it may seem like I am not getting a whole lot of out the materials is the sheer size of the objects, which is mitigated with detail tiling textures and normals. I also cannot spend a whole lot of time on texturing, everything has to move so fast. I generally use color IDs and set up custom instanced materials in graphs that I can plug baked maps into (Curvature, Normals, AO, and Position) and a lot of texturing is automatic for me. Which is great for timing. 

Everything is kind of feeling the same, for instance I the castle I am going to be going through with statues, fencing, banners, etc at a certain phase and really break things up a bit more.

Second area is the Halfling starting city, we want really varied looking areas because the world the game takes place in is a "planar collision" of worlds essentially. So the contrast between different types of zones, colors, and atmospheres will be really nice as players explore the world.

The day to night shot is a sped up time lapse, if that is what you meant by it being too abrupt? There still needs to be lots of adjustement to the lighting at various times of days, and their length curve does need some adjusting though.

Will definitely keep posting more as I can, as I generally have to wait for things to be released before I can privately post.

Greatly appreciate any and all critique. Feel free to ask any questions anyone.
    Thanks for the great reply man!

It's good to know all of these things, this clears all of my questions.
    Very interesting pipeline that you have there, and I love to see the updates on all the scenes.

As for the day/night cycle I saw that the thing was sped up but the transition at the end from night time to to daylight, but then the light on the materials itself changes to harshly, Don't know how to fix that in Unity tough.
    But as you said, there are still a lot of lighting adjustments to come.

Love seeing this thread man keep it up! 
  • Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some updated stuff here.

Here are some new articles, with the below attached screenshots inside, and a bit about the game-

Game Informer Article

MMORPG.com Write-Up

We did a Pre-Alpha gameplay reveal where you can see video of my art in action-

Gameplay Video

I am still the only artist on the project, so don't take this as a game promotion, just a showing of what I have done in Unity with the time and manpower constraints.

• Sam Leheny
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Leheny polycounter lvl 9
    Woah! It's like Skyrim meets Lodran! I'm way into that;D
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    It all looks pretty great except the brick pattern on your castle in the top post.  They seem off scale as compared to the rest of your textures.  Other than that, I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the environment and everything else you've got going on.  I've had trouble in the past with brick/cinder block textures and getting them right.  Below is an example for scale.

http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html

• Montreseur
    Offline / Send Message
    It all looks pretty great except the brick pattern on your castle in the top post.  They seem off scale as compared to the rest of your textures.  Other than that, I'm enjoying the atmosphere of the environment and everything else you've got going on.  I've had trouble in the past with brick/cinder block textures and getting them right.  Below is an example for scale.

http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html

Thanks a lot for the feedback, capturing that accurate scale for detail is extremely important and something I am finally starting to get a better feel for. These references are great, much appreciated.