Home Adobe Substance

Default generators not all 16 bit?

Nexinumbra
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
Is there any reason why the default generators are not all 16 bit? I keep running into issues when using them that they become really noisy, and I can't help but think that it would help if they weren't 8 bit.

Is it possible that I could go in and update them manually somehow to be 16 bit instead by finding the 8 bit nodes and manually setting them to 16 bit, or is there some underlying architecture that would prevent this?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Which generator seem to generate in 8 bits?
  • Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checker 1, 2
    Grunge map 1, 2, 3, 5, 9
    Messy Fiber 3
    Parquet 1
    Scratches Generator

This is at least based on just dropping them onto the graph and observing if the node previewer says 8 bit or 16.
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Nexinumbra,

I think this is due to the fact that most Generators you mentioned are producing binary black and white outputs. Those don't need to be 16 bit, which would just make the Substance heavier but the result not better.
    The Grunge maps and the Scratches, though, should have 16 bit per channel, I have to admit. But maybe Jerc got an idea why this isn't the case.

Best Regards
  • Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the response. I honestly wasn't as concerned about the ones like the Checker generators, since as you mentioned those aren't really benefiting from being 16 bit, but the Grunge ones especially get used a bit and it's easy for those to get messy with being 8 bit.

Thanks for the responses so far!