Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Kamarish Valley

triangle
Offline / Send Message
DannyArt triangle
Hi All!

For the past two weeks I've been working in my free time on a small scene. This scene is a (partial) Environment made in Unreal Enigne 4 and textured in Quixel Suite 2. I also wanted to work with newer software and programs that I ever worked with. The video showed here, is a “pre-alpha” video. After feedback, polishing, rethinking the matinee sequences and shots of this scene, I will upload a new and final version of Kamarish Valley.

Some additional software used to create this scenery are: Maya, 3Ds Max, Photoshop, ZBrush, Quixel Suite 2, Unreal Engine 4, World Machine and Nvidia APEX/PhysX SDK. I chose to only show two logo's on the start page, because it looks cleaner and more in balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjN_m1dPGw "Kamarish Valley, a peaceful valley that houses a former bell tower that stands high up on a mountain. The current owners rebuild the tower to be a radio transmission station, so finally the outside world could have a peek in this long lost valley."

If there are comments or feedback, or just a note, than that would be very welcome :).
- Danny

More work will be placed on my Portfolio: www.dannyart.nl
The logo and name was designed by: Jordy Faber
The music created by: Dayviewer - As we walk through landscapes.

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Well, that looks awesome!  :o
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    No crit, just wanted to say lovely work!  I really like the melding of old-world and new. Great presentation!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    absolutely amazing, great work (Y)...

Only thing I could pick out was that the pink flower on your fourth screenshot is completely static as the rest of your foliage is moving.
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Thanks all :). KID.IN.THE.DARK, Ive added the feedback to my to-do list. Will work on it soon.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Looking very good, and very polished. Not much to say except it's awesome.

My only critique would be that by putting another statue in the background I feel you made it a bit less unique and thus less impressive

Insane job though :smile: 

• Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Damn Danny, looking great and two weeks!?  Fine stuff right here. 
  • RaggaPenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks incredible! Great job, absolutely love the atmosphere.
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Ootrick said:
    Damn Danny, looking great and two weeks!?  Fine stuff right here. 
    Two weeks... in his free time... it is a very good job given the time you spent on it.
    To be honest I'm not a fan of the very far statue, I think it is better if you just have a closer one.  This is just a personal opinion about the composition of the scene, so it is not an objetive thing.
    The only unreal and quixel thing is misleading, since you need a modeling/sculpting software!! Did you used world machine for the mountains in the background?
    In the second shot, around sec 0:26, the very far trees seem to be a bit out of scale compared with de huge mountains.

But anyway, those were my two cents, you did a really good job in such a small amount of time!!!
    Best regards,

n4uj.

EDIT: Also, how did you do the flags? are they rigged or is it just a nice vertex painting? If not, did you used software like marvelous designer for the cloth rig?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Good job, and I agree with what everyone else is saying already! Personally I feel though that the small flags maybe should be affected more by the wind than they currently are, but that is just nitpicking.
  • Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist polycounter lvl 3
    LOVE THIS!  Can't wait to study from it :)  Exactly what I was hoping!
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Thanks all for the great responds and feedback. I have added all of the feedback to my to-do list and will work on it as soon as possible.
    n4uj said:
    EDIT: Also, how did you do the flags? are they rigged or is it just a nice vertex painting? If not, did you used software like marvelous designer for the cloth rig?
    n4uj, I made the flags in Maya/3Ds Max as a planar mesh with some extrudes. Then I loaded in the Nvidia APEX/PhysX SDK plugin into 3Ds Max, and painted the right amount of vertices with the right amount of "movement paint". Then exported both the APEX and skeletal mesh file into UE4 and linked them up. UE4 did the rest, since the simulation is fully automatic. No need for an animation or animated material.

Nuclear Angel, the small flags were a bit problem, since I haven't mastered APEX/PhysX SDK yet. I still have a lot to learn, especially with the SDK. I will try to make them move more, but can't make any promises yet.

Dartist said:
    LOVE THIS!  Can't wait to study from it :)  Exactly what I was hoping!
    Dartist, can't wait to see that you will make, if you have something, later on, can you show me, im looking forward to it.

Again, thank you all for all the feedback,
    - Danny
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    I also updated the main topic with the software packages. It should also include xNormal and Meshlab.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    This looks amazing, specially for one person work this looks like AAA budget quality!
  • KrisLW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrisLW polycounter lvl 5
    This is awesome! :o The lighting and scenery is perfectly serene, definitely a place I wouldn't mind visiting for real!

My only criticism is the grass texture - in the stills, it's beautiful, but in the video you can see there are some floaty bits at the ends that appear to not actually be attached to anything?

I love the way the flags came out. APEX does a fantastic job for being "lightweight" enough to run in real-time!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Very nicely done.  Excellent work for that kind of time frame.
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Thanks Finalhart, Krislw and Ryno :smile:. Krislw, I've added yor comment to my to-do list as well, and hope that Ill be able to update that as soon as possible. The floaty bits are attached to the grass, but the grass is to thin, that due to MIP mapping, it disappears. I need to work on that alpha map, make it slightly bigger, so the grass reappears again. - Danny
  • NinjaDragonKick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaDragonKick polycounter lvl 4
    Man this is awesome well done! xD
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Thank you Ninjadragonkick :).
  • DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Hi All,

It has been a while, since the last post, but finally for the last couple of days I have been fixing most of the feedback given to me about Kamarish Valley, and now the images below show the fixed result. The scene is practically the same as before, but with minor tweaks and changes here and there. Hope you like the update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbUvzVIg5FU

• DannyArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannyArt triangle
    Above the Updated version. This version includes/has the following fixes: - Fixed floating wooden construction and scale issues on wooden walkway. - Fixed the pink flowers. They are less static and move more. - Removed the very far statue, feedback says it is better if I just have the closer one. - The small flags should be affected more by the wind then the older flags. - The grass texture has better alpha map to remove some floating bits. - Fixed the colour and material on statue, shinier and less dull. - Elbow's on statue are less smooth. - Fixed scale on pine trees on in the distance. They are smaller now. - Changed the light colours, tweaked the post processing and rebaked lightmaps.