Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SW40 Revolver [WIP]

Doomathon
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
Edit 03-08
Got everything done! Tried some new things too which is always good, such as baking techniques and high-poly modeling. I previously mentioned I was going to use Quixel Suite 2 but I had massive technical problems, and after a wasted day, I used Painter. Looking forward to using it for a different project though. Hope you all like it, please leave any feedback/comments if you can!

Hi all.

Making another weapon for a project at the moum and it's the handgun from BF4. I really liked the designs and shapes, plus I wanted to texture something using Quixel Suite 2. Just a project to practice my hard surface skills and trying to work on my speed as well. I intend this to be a FPS weapon. Feedback and crits are most welcome.

Here are some renders from the block-out!

Replies

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull polycounter lvl 5
    very iconic weapon choice
    cylinder looks too small and hammer is wrong but I assume a place holder
    How did you make that cut out shape at the top of the grip by trigger guard?
    looking forward to more!
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Primnull,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you explain further about why the hammer is wrong? I am basing it primarily on this version.

And for the indent what I did in 3DS Max was I took a cube, added about 4 segments for each side then used the Spherify Modifier to get a quaded sphere (easier to clean up extra geo when I used ProBoolean). Next I used an FFD 3x3x3 modifier to conform the sphere to the indent shape like on the actual weapon. Lastly I used ProBoolean to cut the shape into the weapon. Hope that helps!

• Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working some more on it and got the high poly done. Was pretty challenging with the main receiver part but liked how it turned out. I am going to go back and loosen up some edges (some are sharper than they actually are due to the rendering I guess) and maybe add more geo to the handle so it's not so "edgy."

I also had a quick question! I want to possibly add a laser dot and/or a optic sight add-on. Do each of those add-ons get their own uv space? Or do you usually combine all add-ons to one sheet? Would appreciate some clarification with that! Thanks!