Home General Discussion

Schooling/Education/College Help :(

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Will_M polycounter lvl 4
I just joined this forum, but I've lurked around from time to time. Now that I'm a senior in HS I'm becoming more and more concerned with what I'm going to do with my life, but I think it'd be best to ask for some help from you guys. I'm not sure if this is the right board to post in, but hopefully it is. I've been aspiring to become a 3D generalist with capabilities to design/illustrate as well if needed. Now from reading on this forum and other places, a lot of people say that just learning online and self-studying is all you need which I will do regardless, but I feel like even if I am to become skilled, I won't really understand how to network well enough. Not to mention, I live in South Florida which is far away from industry hubs such as California. The closest school to me is Ringling, and if I take some general education in junior college, use my Florida Prepaid, and be essentially smart with my money, I can avoid a large amount of debt. The problem is I'm wondering if the school is worth it. I've talked to a rep, but I'd prefer to have some recent/current students tell me about the school better since I feel I'll get a less bias input. I'm also wondering if it's worth just going to Gnomon and being educated there...It feels like a long shot right now, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm feeling very indecisive and would be extremely thankful if some people with more experience could help me and give some advice.

Replies

• RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    Have you looked at Dave School or Full sail? And I think University of central Florida has a program as well. I think its important for you to have studied some kind of fine art, but of course it is not needed to learn software.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    RaptorCWS said:
    Have you looked at Dave School or Full sail? And I think University of central Florida has a program as well. I think its important for you to have studied some kind of fine art, but of course it is not needed to learn software.
    Haven't heard of Dave School, I'll check it out right now. As for Full Sail, I've heard a lot mixed reviews from the school and haven't seen much work either from them. I don't really know if UCF has any majors that fit what I want to do. 
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    Hey I just checked Dave School, and it looks very interesting and innovative, however, I still think I need more than a year since I want to have a deeper understanding of fundamentals.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I`m studying Computer Animation at Full Sail (Month 6). I can say to you that it`s just worth it if you strive yourself home, if you have 8 hours class monday to saturday, you have to study home at least 4 hours each day. I see some people that just go to school and when it`s time to present a good work, present  really bad stuffs (that happen in all colleges).
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    escudero said:
    I`m studying Computer Animation at Full Sail (Month 6). I can say to you that it`s just worth it if you strive yourself home, if you have 8 hours class monday to saturday, you have to study home at least 4 hours each day. I see some people that just go to school and when it`s time to present a good work, present  really bad stuffs (that happen in all colleges).
    Does it have any Florida prepaid options? Also do you know any thread or website where I can see some Full Sail work? :) Thanks
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M said:
    escudero said:
    Does it have any Florida prepaid options? Also do you know any thread or website where I can see some Full Sail work? :) Thanks
    I dont know about  the paid options, I`m a international student. You can see this guy`s work, he`s a Game Art student: http://myfullsailjourney.com/
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    escudero said:
    Will_M said:
    escudero said:
    I dont know about  the paid options, I`m a international student. You can see this guy`s work, he`s a Game Art student: http://myfullsailjourney.com/
    I checked out Full Sail a little more and I see that it crunches down courses into a much smaller time frame (20 months...a little less than 2 years) much like FZD, but to a lesser degree and different focus. I feel like I'd be much safer with a more traditional 4 year structure as I think it will allow me more time to hone my skills and practice things outside the classroom. I may be wrong going towards an approach less intensive since from what I've read at least the entertainment industry is intensive itself, but I really do feel I need that extra time to really master fundamentals, tools, and portfolio developing to succeed when looking for a job which sounds already hard with no experience. I feel Full Sail would be better if I was already at an intermediate level. I'm curious to know if you had prior training before Full Sail.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    UCF's Game Design Master program is highly regarded, but I'm not too sure about their undergrad program these days.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    m4dcow said:
    UCF's Game Design Master program is highly regarded, but I'm not too sure about their undergrad program these days.
    Not sure if I'll be getting a masters, but I'll keep this in mind.
  • Technomancr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    The social aspect of school shouldn't be overlooked - often times you will make friendships with fellow students that last throughout your career. They often become your extended family.

Also,  make sure you get a solid foundation in *art* : drawing, painting, sculpture, anatomy. 3D programs are just another tool, and there are fantastic tutorials online by professionals that can rival any of the overpriced game schools. It's much harder to get the life drawing, color theory, and painting training you need from self-study. Try to find the equivalent of an art fundamentals course (1 year) - this will serve you well regardless of what path you choose, and will let you decide without committing to a large tuition.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    The social aspect of school shouldn't be overlooked - often times you will make friendships with fellow students that last throughout your career. They often become your extended family.

Also,  make sure you get a solid foundation in *art* : drawing, painting, sculpture, anatomy. 3D programs are just another tool, and there are fantastic tutorials online by professionals that can rival any of the overpriced game schools. It's much harder to get the life drawing, color theory, and painting training you need from self-study. Try to find the equivalent of an art fundamentals course (1 year) - this will serve you well regardless of what path you choose, and will let you decide without committing to a large tuition.
    Any idea for this 1 year art fundamentals course ? 
    Thanks!
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I used to join drawing classes at my local community collage. Very cheap with life models.

Other than that, you want to draw A LOT. The more you practice, the better. And having a nice crowd to critique your work can set you in the right direction and speed up your learning a lot. You want those who point out all the bad things about your work. Not the ones saying "So nice!" "Beautiful!" you won't learn anything from that.

If you don't mind the paid path, CGMA 2D does offer some nice classes and a good path to follow. I'd recommend you try learning from the free resources first tho, and when you think you need serious critique, try CGMA's "Dynamic Sketching 1" for a start.

http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/programs/

• Technomancr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    It seems Ringling calls the art fundamentals "Precollege" http://www.ringling.edu/PreCollege

A fundamental art education can be taken at most reputable art schools in your area - it may be more convenient and economical to attend there. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with schools in your area (if you were in Canada, that would be another matter). Look for life drawing, perspective, anatomy, painting, sculpting, and art history. Don't worry too much about your job or career or whether it's relevant (it may not seem so for some classes, but trust me, it is all relevant). Just focus on absorbing all that you can, and most of all - enjoy your time creating art.

I can not stress enough though...1000% you should get some traditional art training first (but not necessarily a 4 year degree), and it will carry you far with your long-term goals whether that means more training in the traditional school system, or through other channels.

Ultimately, an art director is not going to hire you based on a piece of paper. If you go to Ringling, CalArts, Sheridan, etc...it comes down to your portfolio.

*Also, read through the big education sticked thread on this forum if you haven't already done so.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4

Definitely agree with this and my main motivation for going to college. I feel the best I will get from college is a sense of direction and networking, not to say I won't learn anything, but I see a lot of that coming from online videos and books whereas in college I'll be getting the benefits of networking, developing a work ethic, critiques, libraries, internships, live models and workshops. I'd also get a general education on things outside of just art which I think is valuable for me as an individual. 
    Burpee said:

Any idea for this 1 year art fundamentals course ? 
    Thanks!
    I guess I should give some advice back since I'm asking for so much myself. What I did was look at multiple "foundation year" curriculum's for schools, different majors, etc. Usually it stays the same with every school more or less. The jist is a solid understanding of perspective, basic figure drawing, a viscom class, and possibly learning a program like Photoshop or something else like the art history of the major you're tailored to. I made a spreadsheet on all the fundamentals and understanding I needed to cover so I can mark them down when I've covered them/revisited them if I felt like I forgot parts and got books like How To Draw and Framed Ink which cover those as well as watching videos on YouTube, gumroad, and pretty much any other places online. 
    Panupat said:
    I used to join drawing classes at my local community collage. Very cheap with life models.

Other than that, you want to draw A LOT. The more you practice, the better. And having a nice crowd to critique your work can set you in the right direction and speed up your learning a lot. You want those who point out all the bad things about your work. Not the ones saying "So nice!" "Beautiful!" you won't learn anything from that.

If you don't mind the paid path, CGMA 2D does offer some nice classes and a good path to follow. I'd recommend you try learning from the free resources first tho, and when you think you need serious critique, try CGMA's "Dynamic Sketching 1" for a start.

http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/programs/

I've actually taken a class for CGMA's Dynamic Sketching and I have to say the draw-through method is probably the most important thing I've ever learned for drawing. I learned a lot from the Gnomon Workshop also which I think alone has developed me the most out of every other resource so far. I still have a long way to go before my portfolio is in top shape for a job, but I'm pretty confident in it for college admissions/scholarship opportunities at this point. 

Technomancr said:
    It seems Ringling calls the art fundamentals "Precollege" http://www.ringling.edu/PreCollege

A fundamental art education can be taken at most reputable art schools in your area - it may be more convenient and economical to attend there. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with schools in your area (if you were in Canada, that would be another matter). Look for life drawing, perspective, anatomy, painting, sculpting, and art history. Don't worry too much about your job or career or whether it's relevant (it may not seem so for some classes, but trust me, it is all relevant). Just focus on absorbing all that you can, and most of all - enjoy your time creating art.

I can not stress enough though...1000% you should get some traditional art training first (but not necessarily a 4 year degree), and it will carry you far with your long-term goals whether that means more training in the traditional school system, or through other channels.

Ultimately, an art director is not going to hire you based on a piece of paper. If you go to Ringling, CalArts, Sheridan, etc...it comes down to your portfolio.

*Also, read through the big education sticked thread on this forum if you haven't already done so.
    So far I'm at an art based magnet high school where a lot of my time is focused on art making (AP Studio classes and figure drawing) and portfolio development classes as well as classes like art history. In a way, I've already started networking with lots of people who want to work in the same field as me or similar. I've also attended precollege at SVA which I wouldn't really say is worth the initial price they offer, but I got in with a scholarship that covered a lot and gave me some college experience and a fun time in Manhattan. As for my economics, Florida Prepaid reduces the costs immensely to the point that it would cost as much as a community college rather than a private college which after applying for aid, grants, scholarships, and transferring credits, I don't see will break my bank and leave me with crippling student debt; more or less it'd be the same price to attend a college in Canada (comparing costs of a school like Sheridan). Another factor is that my dad works for a very wealthy and generous couple who've offered to cover some costs which I'm not entirely sure to what extent, but It may be enough that I end up with no debt at all after college. I'm very fortunate and thankful that I have those benefits and would definitely consider an alternative route if they weren't present. I completely agree with the portfolio part, mines isn't even that great, but it's gotten me so far already that I can only imagine when I've put lots more development into it. I've considered not going to college at because I really don't see much value in a BFA diploma (especially if it were at a sticker price), but I feel that combining both a traditional college experience and a self-study route would be a good choice considering that I feel my a lot of practice and not just beginning to draw, see my economics as secure and that I'm not paying some insanely unreasonable sticker price as well. My only worries are getting a job after graduating since I've heard its hard to get your foot in the door.

Thanks guys for all the advice :blush: It really helps me clear my thought and think of new things. 

• Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, sorry to bring this old thread back up, but I've finally got an update on my college status. I got accepted into LCAD, Ringling, and SVA all for game art except SVA which is computer art. I feel really great about it, however, I've only been able to get a 8k annual scholarship from LCAD which is way to low comparing the overall cost.

Ringling is my closest and most convenient school, the Florida Prepaid discounts the tuition and housing fee to about 10k a year plus there's a private school grant (not based on need but residency) which lowers it another 3k so I'm looking at 7k a year so far without the consideration of the costs of books, food, etc and possibly other grants/scholarships. While this is much lower than the sticker price and pretty mantainable for my dad, I'm still conflicted about if it's worth it.

I didn't recieve a scholarship from Ringling unfortunately and I'm not sure if they give them out when those who recieved them decide not to attend. I'm between going to community college, fininshing my generals, and reapplying with a more refined portfolio or just going to the school at the price it is right now. I'd probably come out of the school with around a 30k debt, so I'm really being questionable and would like some feedback. Hopefully a student/alumni can even see this.

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    School can definitely help, it will get you in the mood and classmates will help you achieve your goals. It always seems to come down to the artists dedication rather than the school they attend so I would definitely try to avoid big debts.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Find an inexpensive community college nearby and study art basics. Don't pay out the ass just to learn art basics somewhere. I'd try to avoid 30K in debt if possible. I'm not sure of the prices now, but art basics courses at a community college could be ~$400-600, which is much better vs. 30k. 

Use polycount or other specialized online courses (Futurepoly, etc) to learn the ins and outs of 3d. If you're going to buy some tutorials, I would suggest avoiding Digital Tutors for everything except the basics. There are a lot of amazing specialized tutorials (Grant Warwick's hardsurface essentials comes to mind) to make the jump from beginner to intermediate / advanced.

Networking can be done online. None of my jobs have come from in-person networking. I landed my first interview from posting work on here and artstation, and I landed my first job from posting the art test from my first interview on Lunch Crunch (back when it was active). I actually was still in school when I landed my first position and was not actively looking for a job. My old co-worker at Hi-Rez was hired the same way. He was not actively looking, but he had a good presence and good work online and that got him a art test/interview. The only in-person networking that benefited me was a portfolio review that I signed up for.

Even in specialized colleges or online courses, I've found that over half of the people usually end up doing the bare minimum or don't even hand in work at all. It seems like for every 20 students in a course, there are about 3-4 who actually want to really push themselves to become a better artist. I should add that in my class in school, I was the only one in my class (and one below or above) that was pursuing AAA game art. It was a bit of a bummer and I ended up posting here a lot and doing Google Hangouts to work with like-minded people. My portfolio progressed the most from online critiques. 

Overall, I think going to Gnomon is a great idea. The one thing I would suggest is to learn the basics yourself before you go out there. It is better to be ahead technically than behind at a school like that. Most of the teachers there are great artists and if you can spend less time learning the software and more time making art after class that will give you more opportunities to get meaningful critique rather than "hey, i'm stuck with how to extrude in Maya". 

That was a bit of a ramble and poorly written, but I hope some of it helps. 
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I grew up in Florida, for all the crap the internet gives the state it's good to know you can still get an education at a fairly low price.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    beefaroni said:
    Find an inexpensive community college nearby and study art basics. Don't pay out the ass just to learn art basics somewhere. I'd try to avoid 30K in debt if possible. I'm not sure of the prices now, but art basics courses at a community college could be ~$400-600, which is much better vs. 30k. 

Use polycount or other specialized online courses (Futurepoly, etc) to learn the ins and outs of 3d. If you're going to buy some tutorials, I would suggest avoiding Digital Tutors for everything except the basics. There are a lot of amazing specialized tutorials (Grant Warwick's hardsurface essentials comes to mind) to make the jump from beginner to intermediate / advanced.

Networking can be done online. None of my jobs have come from in-person networking. I landed my first interview from posting work on here and artstation, and I landed my first job from posting the art test from my first interview on Lunch Crunch (back when it was active). I actually was still in school when I landed my first position and was not actively looking for a job. My old co-worker at Hi-Rez was hired the same way. He was not actively looking, but he had a good presence and good work online and that got him a art test/interview. The only in-person networking that benefited me was a portfolio review that I signed up for.

Even in specialized colleges or online courses, I've found that over half of the people usually end up doing the bare minimum or don't even hand in work at all. It seems like for every 20 students in a course, there are about 3-4 who actually want to really push themselves to become a better artist. I should add that in my class in school, I was the only one in my class (and one below or above) that was pursuing AAA game art. It was a bit of a bummer and I ended up posting here a lot and doing Google Hangouts to work with like-minded people. My portfolio progressed the most from online critiques. 

Overall, I think going to Gnomon is a great idea. The one thing I would suggest is to learn the basics yourself before you go out there. It is better to be ahead technically than behind at a school like that. Most of the teachers there are great artists and if you can spend less time learning the software and more time making art after class that will give you more opportunities to get meaningful critique rather than "hey, i'm stuck with how to extrude in Maya". 

That was a bit of a ramble and poorly written, but I hope some of it helps. 
    My Florida Prepaid plan would cover tuition completely for community college and it's just a half hour drive from my house, so I guess it's like free for basics/generals vs $120-150 per class at Ringling (possibly lower with grants and bright futures) for better perspective.
    I'm still trying to figure out all the networking stuff but this place is really shaping up to be a good start :) I might start a thread later asking more about it.

I looked at Gnomon and thought this is definitely a dream school, but I do see it as a place for higher education of those who are already really skilled and just need polishing, also it's out of my budget lol at least for now.
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    I grew up in Florida, for all the crap the internet gives the state it's good to know you can still get an education at a fairly low price.
    Yeah I was kinda surprised at how many of my colleagues wanted to study out of state.

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Every single thread on Education I will bring this up:

Why not go to school in Canada?

It's like a quarter of the price and the education is as good as the top US Art Schools.

I mean it's ridiculous to spend an additional $80,000 for no reason. :/
  • Will_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    Every single thread on Education I will bring this up:

Why not go to school in Canada?

It's like a quarter of the price and the education is as good as the top US Art Schools.

I mean it's ridiculous to spend an additional $80,000 for no reason. :/
    It's not exactly easy for me to pack up and go to Canada sadly as a lot variables play a role in that. One thing is I have Florida Prepaid which covers practically all colleges in this state to a point where I'd be basically paying a tuition very similar to one in Canada and that's not considering grants.

I feel It'd be different for others who aren't in the same situation as me, but I think moving to Canada would be overall more expensive to study than just staying in state.