Home Technical Talk

Bad Shading on Leaves

Hey Guys, just a quick question about canopy shading in Unreal Engine 4. I'm still getting (no matter how hard i try and fix it) this white shading on the top of my canopy where the light passes through the top. I cannot quite understand why its still doing this, I've reimported it both with my own vertex normals and recomputed ones so i don't think its that either.

Any help would be marvellous, this is for my FMP for me degree :3

Replies

• Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    It just looks like the specular is too bright and/or wide, that and it doesn't look like you have any translucency enabled.
  • furys-death
    I created a roughness map for it and plugged that into the roughness which made it looks stupid (pretty sure white = rough but w/e) xD I didn't even know I needed a spec value so I just set it to 0.

Below is the setup i've got thus far, going for as realistic as possible without using speed tree pipeline.
    Any help would be appreciated thank you :)

• Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Tweaking some values, mainly changing opacity from 0.2 to 0.7 as seen here should give a better effect. https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Two-Sided_Foliage_Material edit: and I think the white leaves are from your normal map, the it may be so extreme that it's pulling light as if it was facing 90 degree's.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 12
    Just a few Guesses here, but two other things could be going on,1 could be normal direction? I dunno haven't had that problem in awhile but seem to remember that from years ago, another could be the way UE4 is building lighting on your flat plane if it is 2 sided it cant bake lighting to both sides when the UVs pull from one place.

I cant recall the exact solution I had to that it may have been to shell the plane, and on the 2nd uv channel splitting it so it has space to bake the lightmaps then setting the light map channel to the 2nd uvw.

Hope this helps sorry if I am far off base been up all night drawing and its 7am here :neutral: 
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Metallic should be set to 0.