Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ART Progress] Killing Dracula (Working Title)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 11
Hello!

My friends and I have just begun working on our next game and I thought I would share with you what I'm making for it. We have only just begun prototyping so everything could definitely end up changing.

The game is a first person shooter which we are calling (at least for the time being) "Killing Dracula".

The plot goes something like you are a very old vampire remembering your life, but you are very sick, your near death's door and your dreams are feverish. Memories of fighting monsters, being hunted by villagers in the middle ages, living through World War Two, the Victorian Era, the present day and everything in between are all running together. The only constants are guns, a ready supply of ammo, many enemies, and your thirst for blood.

This setup should give us a lot to work with for making interesting environments, enemies and experiences (probably too much to work with :P) At any rate our plan is to make one level and see how it goes from there.

Anyway, here are the first two characters I've made. nothing too fancy, a zombie and a goblin

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good start, Im not sure why but I feel like the proportions of these two characters are child like, big heads and small legs etc? is that a design choice or just some mistakes in proportions?
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The goblin was intended to seem childish. The zombie is not supposed to be childish, but does have extended arms and neck (so it can swipe at and bite the player more easily) I'll post some clips of gameplay when the animations are finished. In the meantime...

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so this is my first shot at realish environment art, so let me know your thoughts. Im currently working on a rocky sandstone type area and thought of the rocks in halo 4. here's an example from halo 4:

now here's my attempt (rendered in unity)

what do you guys think? is this passable? I'm going blind to it lol
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not much of an update, but what FPS is complete without generic tiling bricks??

• RabbitBrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RabbitBrains polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Lawless Flogic! Your characters look interesting for your game :). One thing to point out on your bricks is that it looks too tile able and I can pick out the lumpy bricks every time it tiles. I suggest maybe spreading them out more evenly through the texture rather than having patches of flat and lumpy bricks. I also suggest looking at Fanny Vergnes' article in vertex magazine 2 : https://gumroad.com/l/SpXd . It explains how she makes her tiling textures less noticeable and her overall process. 
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey interesting magazine, thanks! yeah the tile is pretty obvious, I'm planning to blend between 2 or 3 variations using custom unity shaders, we'll see how that goes. hopefully i can get some shots of the first level up soon, and maybe some gameplay (pre pre pre pre alpha of course)
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a new floor tile, trying to minimize the UV repeat as @RabbitBrains suggested, there's still 1 conspicuous brick though so I'll probably do it over when i have time.

Also, keeping with the theme of generic of FPS assets, i present: nondescript barrel! 

• RabbitBrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RabbitBrains polycounter lvl 7
    Bricks are looking way better! If you do have time to go back I would suggest spreading the square bricks out more evenly. I can see three of them clumped together. Another piece of advice would be to maybe off set the bricks horizontally. Right now the bricks look like they tile well vertically because the square brick doesn't line up the two others near it whilst with the tiling of the brick horizontally I can see a clear cut line which easily lead my eyes to see where the texture repeats itself. Anyway good job on the tile set !

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the suggestions, that will definately help with the next tile set (there will be many)

here's what ive been working on (with the help of our programmer / animator) I made the shotgun a long time ago and it may be due for an update, but the focus of this video is the weapon handling and special effects (not the highest quality video but it should get across what im going for)

https://youtu.be/jg5EdVdnyn0

https://youtu.be/N9eXACTAEY0
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't updated in a while, sorry! "life" gets in the way....

anyway, I've been updating some assets for PBR, and I finally got around to finishing my old Mauser C96. here's the shotgun and the mauser in unity. hope you like it!