Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-painted Outhouse

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Utility polycounter lvl 7
Ahoy boils n' goils;

I decided to make something different than what I usually do - a stylized, low-poly (Warcraft-ish) outhouse (because why not)! I'll post wires soon. Roughly 3200 tri's. More to come! Going to add some greenery and probably a nice turntable base. Made with Max/Photoshop/Quixel Suite.

Replies

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    The HP looks lovely :)

My only critique on the texturing phase you have on the LP right now is more on the gradient directions you're applying to your albedo...
    based on previous pipelines before the PBR shading system became so popular people were baking their lights top down with bent normal maps and taking the Y-axis from it... generally because sunlight hits from the top and washes out the top whilst blending darker back to the bottom. It's the same with weathering where rain hits from above, removes most paint from machinery etc from top down to the bottom.
    So in this case with your gradients I'd have your wooden walls going from a washed out brown to a slightly saturated brown/darker brown.
    The blue tiles on the roof top as well, they're very flat and requires a little shift from washed out to darker to really spoon feed your viewers.

Another critique would be on the material definition as right now parts of your model look like they're bending towards metal, mainly because of the high values in your specular highlights.

Painting in lighting direction with hand painted stylized artwork generally looks nicer when you light them as well (told by another artist on this forum) which I've actually come to find out is pretty true as well :)

Either way just keep working with it :) 
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message

@Kid.in.the.Dark  Thanks for the crit! Is this closer to what you were talking about? I feel like the flowerbox and bucket now also have to be toned down a bit to match, but I'll get that in the next pass.
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your sculpt is awesome! Yet your textures didn't translate very well. I think you might have some weird shading going on in your diffuse. (like the side edges of your tiles on your roof).....I'd make sure those were a shade darker than what is on the top. I'd stay away from having your wood grain lines be black, makes it noisy, and hard to look at. You want your eye to see the big shapes first, and then notice the details. You've lost your big shapes. 
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter

Did a quick paint over, on this.....key take aways: 

Trim should push lighter or darker, you didn't commit hard enough one way or the other so it's not as strong. There is a lot of weird shading things happening on your roof tiles, you want a value that is a lot lighter on the topside, and darker on the sides (the edges). Make your door pop with color and darker or lighter frame. Add a bit of blue to your stone so it doesn't feel so dead. Ends of cut wood and siding are generally lighter in color due to being fresher cuts of wood. I forgot to do it, but making the base wood that everything is sitting on a bit darker will ground the object and be a solid foundation for the eye. I might of oversaturated things a bit in my example, but only to illustrate my points. 

This thing gonna be dope....keep going!
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatron Thanks! I really appreciate your input. I think I got most of your suggestions; what do you think? I have some small grass pieces, but DDO currently is having trouble rendering opacity.

• Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    Just gonna bump because my last post was edited to include the images, aaaand I'd like some more C&C if anyone has anything to share!
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    Just gonna do one last bump - I'd really like some C&C as I'm about to move onto a new project!
  • cesarinm7
    Offline / Send Message
    cesarinm7 polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, excellent and beautiful work. I love how it looks the normal map on the mesh. I would like to see the wireframe lines over the mesh. Thanks
  • Eric Chadwick
    I like the texturing style you have.

However a few things are bugging me. The shingles on the ends have no shading on the wood beam under them, so they don't appear grounded. The shingles in the middle seem especially flat in comparison, either use less 3d shingles on the ends, or add a few 3d shingles to the middle.

The middle wall does not connect very well with the upright beams. Wood texture needs to have an ending painted in there, not just interpenetrating. Same with the beams holding the bird feeder, ends are too abrupt.

Love the highlights on the outer edges of the upright corner beams. This should be applied elsewhere in the model, like the bottom panel of the side walls, the beams under the shingles, etc.

Can you please show a wireframe overlay? And the texture flats?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Stone step texturing looks unfinished.

Don't render with shadows, or else do all renders with the same lighting direction. Think like a lightmap.
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    @cesarinm7 - Thanks!
    @Eric Chadwick 
    - Thanks for the crit, I wish I had heard that sooner! If I have time in the near future I'll tweak it. Here's a wireframe and the textures -