Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Isles Of Arthanos - moddable first-person coop medieval fantasy rpg Devlog/Artdump

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Misciagno3d polycounter lvl 4
Hello polycount, I wanted to share an indie project that I am working on with a friend. I've been a little hesitant about posting about my game because there are so many amazing artists on here that make me look amateur in comparison but I've decided I'm just going to have to grow some tough skin. If you happen to be interested in our game please feel free to join our community on our forums.

Twitch Channel : http://www.twitch.tv/paperbagcrusher
Twitter : http://twitter.com/peakwaysoftware

Isles Of Arthanos is a first-person medieval multiplayer fantasy game where players can design their own worlds and share them with the community. This is an indie game being developed with Unity5 by Peakway Software, a small independent company that currently consists of two people.

The goal of this game is to provide a fun RPG experience with optional cooperative gameplay and a massive amount of replay value. Isles Of Arthanos has two levels of "mod support." The first level is the world editor that comes as part of the game itself and not additional software. These are the same tools we use to build the game, so players will be able to design their own wolds without knowing game development techniques by using the tools and assets we provide them. The second level is more traditional mod support where players can add their own custom art and gameplay functionality via scripting.

We believe in the power of creative players and understand the importance of a multiplayer community. Because of this, we are going to be very open with our community about the development of Isles Of Arthanos and very active with our fanbase. Every week we will be streaming the game's development on twitch and you can get in touch with us through our forums and social media pages. Please feel free to join our forums and community, we want to hear your feedback!

These are just a few of the screenshots, there are many more on the website. (www.islesofarthanos.com)

Features

World Editor

The world editor is a robust toolset that allows players to design their own worlds and game experiences. These worlds can be shared and downloaded among the community. Players don't need to download any additional software in order to create levels, the world editor is part of the game itself. Seamlessly drop in and play a level while you are building it at the push of a button.

Mod Support

With mod support players can create their own unique art assets and gameplay with third-party tools and scripting.

Cooperative Multiplayer

Isles Of Arthanos allows for many different cooperative experiences that depend on how the level is designed. Some levels can resemble an open world coop experience with many quests, a smaller horde style coop experience with side-quests, or even large raid style content. The scale of the coop experience depends on the level design.

Skill Based Gameplay

Gear and stats are not the sole determining factor of success in Isles Of Arthanos. Players will have to use strategy and skill based battle tactics in order to defeat enemies. A simple example of this would be blocking just before an enemy strikes to negate the damage.

No Insane Grinding

We don't believe in forcing players to do tedious tasks in order to progress their character. Characters will level up and reach their maximum stats fast, the main form of progression comes from learning new skills and abilities in the world and combining them into unique strategies that may or may not prove to be effective.

Enhanced Skill Progression

When a player learns a new skill or ability they will not automatically be an expert in that skill. Each skill will have its own skill tree that can be leveled up with skill points and used in different ways. For example, a fire spell may have 5 different categories to pour skill points into. Common categories for a fireball spell would be projectile range, area of effect damage, burn damage over time, regular damage, and reduced mana costs. You could spend a lot of skill points on a fireball spell and cast the ultimate fireball, or you could spend less and cast a very specific type of fireball useful for a specific type of situation. Players do not have an infinite amount of skill points, this prevents a character from being an expert in all skills. Players will be able to forget skills they do not want anymore and will then have to earn more skill points to invest in something else. Skill points are independent from a characters level and can be earned after a player reaches max level. They can no longer be earned once a character has reached the maximum amount of points allowed. Everyone has their limits.

Enhanced Smithing

Weapons are divided into components that players will have to smith individually and then combine together to form a complete weapon. These components will have different effects and will not always be considered a linear upgrade from other components. For example, in order to create a sword you must create the hilt and blade separately before the sword can be made. One type of blade might do more damage than a different type but that other type might be more durable and have more enchantment slots. These two types aren't necessarily better than the other option but might perform better with specific play styles and character builds.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great! Did you guys make all the art, or is it a mix of your art and items from the Asset Store? Can you talk a bit about your original art creation process?

I think you should make your website address into a clickable link. I'd love to see a video of the world building process, even a rough one. I always love seeing how people design their tools.

Any release date info? Pricing? Delivery strategy?
  • psykon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psykon polycounter lvl 6
    Nice. I would like to see more art :)
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    The wide angle of view is causing quite a bit of rectilinear distortion, so much that it's distracting.
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick So as far as the models and textures go nothing is from the asset store, we use the asset store for systems that save us time like water, weather systems and shaders. I did buy some diffuse textures for grass but I had to change so much to them and create extra textures to get them to work with other shaders that they might as well be considered mine. I did get a couple of tolerable textures I liked from gametextures.com and just messed with color values until they blended better. We are still working on the interior sections for buildings so once that system works a little better I'll post a quick video for you. What specifically would like like to know about how I created the art? I use blender makehuman and the substance products mostly.

Edit : I did forget to mention that we used speedtree for the trees but I made my own bark material.

@psykon
    I'll be updating this thread more as time goes on for sure.

@scruples are you referring to the images with the ui or all of them in general? They are slightly wider than normal because I cropped out the ui from unity's editor. Even when you do "fullscreen on play" it's not truly fullscreen. And the ui is only like that in level editing mode.
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! I wanted to inform you all that my Twitch channel is up and I'm going to be streaming the game's development 30+ hours a week. So please feel free to drop in, hangout, and ask any questions you may have.

Twitch Channel : http://www.twitch.tv/paperbagcrusher

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    About the distortion, here's a shot taken with a Rectilinear Nikon lens and a shot of Silent Hill PT with some mix of curvilinear distortion to minimize the rectilinear.

• Vlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vlk
    Alright, I'd like to add my own thoughts, the GUI in the 2nd screenshot provided to us looks out of place in comparison with the theme. You could replace the main body of the GUI with a horizontal plank texture and then have orange text with a small black outline for the tab title text. Then for all the tabs you are not in you could have a cobblestone texture so that the tab you are in would just be the plank texture like the main body. However, these are just my thoughts. I make a quick mock up, bearing in mind my artistic skills are terrible and I lost motivation halfway through:

• Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, we've been doing a lot of work on interiors and even re worked a lot of the building system. Here's some screenshots from the environment I made in game on our twitch stream. Just a heads up some of the props are from the asset store, mainly some of the food, fabrics, and books/papers. Everything has been either completely re unwrapped and textured or has just been re textured to work better with pbr. Basically what I'm trying to say is that we didn't just buy a bunch of stuff and throw it in the game. At some point I'd like to have all original art but we need to keep the ball rolling and this is a big time saver.

@Scruples  - I think my proportions for the model itself are actually off I'll have to revisit that.

@VLK - The UI is definitely placeholder, I'm going to change all of the graphics but that's relatively low on the priority list at the moment. I'm currently focusing on the 3D environments and characters. 

• Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I uploaded a video today showing off some of the features with our terrain and biome systems in the level editor. Once we are done with a few more things on the buildings and objects side I'll make one for those as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqnRhuSwM_E

• Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New armor set, roughly 4 days of work. 
  • Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another armor set that took about 4 days, this one will be for the kickstarter backers. Definitely my favorite so far.

• Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few things I did this week.

• Misciagno3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys just wanted to update you all and let you know we are on Kickstarter now! We've actually gotten a lot of feedback about our video and how it's pretty long and boring (among other things) so were working on fixing that. Hopefully the new video will be up tomorrow, I've also uploaded a devlog addressing some of the concerns about the Kickstarter and the game.

Kickstarter Link : http://kck.st/20TdnjO

https://youtu.be/7SEshuzrKF8