Home Technical Talk

Killing Floor 2 - How make glowing parts in weapon skins?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Gir_ polycounter lvl 3
Hello!
I have an idea of weapon skin for KF2 and would like to put some details with a higher brightness. How can I do this? 

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Killing Floor 2 is done with Unreal Engine 3, so you don't need to do anything more, then doing a linear interpolation between your glow color and black, based on a mask texture, and to plug that into the emissive channel.
  • Gir_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gir_ polycounter lvl 3
    Obscura said:
    Killing Floor 2 is done with Unreal Engine 3, so you don't need to do anything more, then doing a linear interpolation between your glow color and black, based on a mask texture, and to plug that into the emissive channel.
    Thanks for your answer. But I'm very beginner in creating skins and even more with KF2 SDK, could you explain in more details how to do this?

I followed something like this tutorial https://youtu.be/Hw_STManNmc
    but the entire weapon is glowing and not just the details that I selected.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    K so I took a look at the video that you linked, and what he does, is to put the mask texture into the alpha channel of the reflectivity map of the weapon. So probably you get the entire gun glowing, because your alpha didn't got saved. Open up your texture in your image editor, and check if the alpha channel is still there. If not, then redo it, and try again.