Home Technical Talk

Edge loops Question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6

When it comes to HP Hard Surface Models, is the best approach to creating edge loops for support and beveling after you model each piece or at the end when the entire model is complete. ZBrush also has a crease feature, but it doesn't give you much control of everything.

And one more quick question, do you think creating models such as a tank in ZBrush using Zmodeler is a wise approach? I've seen a tutorial and tried it out a bit and Its just starting to seem so much more fluid modeling in ZBrush with those tools.

Replies

• theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone help me out with this?
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I like to do it as I go. Once a model gets too complex it can be difficult (and very cubersome) to adjust vertices/edges to accommodate the loops you may need.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I think i'll do it towards the end once I'm done modeling everything. It just takes time putting all those additional support edges in place, and i want to get right into sculpting. Patience  :)
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range

And one more quick question, do you think creating models such as a tank in ZBrush using Zmodeler is a wise approach? I've seen a tutorial and tried it out a bit and Its just starting to seem so much more fluid modeling in ZBrush with those tools.

Is this the 'Warhammer 40K Rhino Tank' tutorial series, by any chance?

It really is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I like to add them as I go. Sometimes I'll model ahead and use creasing in ZB, or even the alternate dynamic sub-div mode - depending on the asset in question. Sometimes I'll model in Max, other times using Zmodeler. It really depends on what I'm doing or the approach I take to specific projects. Once you know all the tools and are confident modeling, practically without having to think too much, you can use whatever tool you know will get the job done as efficiently as possible.

Also, you mentioned having little control of creasing in ZB, but the opposite is true: in 4R7 we now have ultimate control over creasing.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan said:
    Is this the 'Warhammer 40K Rhino Tank' tutorial series, by any chance?
    That is the one I was looking at! It's pretty great.
    musashidan said:

It really is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I like to add them as I go. Sometimes I'll model ahead and use creasing in ZB, or even the alternate dynamic sub-div mode - depending on the asset in question. Sometimes I'll model in Max, other times using Zmodeler. It really depends on what I'm doing or the approach I take to specific projects. Once you know all the tools and are confident modeling, practically without having to think too much, you can use whatever tool you know will get the job done as efficiently as possible.
    I'm definitely feeling more confident knowing that I've been doing it this way as well. It just takes a good chuck of time making all of that additional geo, but I guess as long as you use shortcut keys for connect/looping/swift loops and using mirroring/symmetry it will be done a lot faster.

I'll also check out creasing again, I didn't realize there was additional options. Thanks again!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message

That is the one I was looking at! It's pretty great.

Thanks, I'm the bloke who created that series. :smile:

As for creasing in ZB: it's now extremely flexible, with many tools. With Zmodeler brush we have control over individual edges/edgeloops. Plus there's angle-threshold creasing, polygroup creasing, and a function to convert creasing to actual beveled geometry.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, here's another tut from my channel demonstrating creasing in ZB:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMQqjs0qpw

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Zbrush, warhammer and guitar, cool channel mate :)
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for that wonderful series!! 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noors cheers mate. A mix of cool/geek is always the perfect combo! :smile:

@theonewhoknocks No prob mate, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the kind words.