Home Technical Talk

Maya Texture

Aured
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Aured polycounter lvl 2
Hello all. I'm trying to export the diffuse texture from an object I have in Maya, but I cannot for the life of me find a simple way to do this.

I cannot find a simple "export texture" button. I've tried baking the texture onto the duplicated object, but Maya crashes when I bake diffuse at 2k and above.

The simplest solution I have so far is to just snapshot the UV and color it in manually, which is just ridiculous. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.  

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    The way you phrase it you already have a texture that you want to export? So I take it you've projected it, tiled it or something similar and now you want that texture saved according to the objects UVs?

There's always the option of using the "Convert to File Texture(Maya Software)" in the Hypershade. You need to select both the object and the material before using this command.
  • Aured
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aured polycounter lvl 2
    "The way you phrase it you already have a texture that you want to export?" That's precisely it. 

Will your solution work if I have more than one material applied? 

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    No I don't think it will. Only with one material.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Batch Bake(Mental Ray) seems to work with 1 object with multiple materials. It will spit out as many textures as you have materials on the object. However they are corresponding to the UV layout. So it is just a matter of adding them together in a 2D-editor. Literally adding, as in Linear Dodge(add) if you're using Photoshop.
  • Aured
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aured polycounter lvl 2
    Batch bake? I could just use the transfer maps tool if I wanted to bake them out, but it keeps crashing. This is very strange. Why would they just leave out an "export textures" option? 
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    There's at least 3 options the way I see it. So they didn't leave anything out if you ask me. Perhaps none of them are all to intuitive or easy to find.
    Anyway, the Batch Bake(mental ray) options is under..

Maya 2015 and older:
    Polygon menu set -> Color -> Batch Bake(mental ray)

Maya 2016
    Modelling menu set -> Mesh Display -> Batch Bake(mental ray)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    When I just tried it I enabled the Use bake set override.
    Went for Color and Light.
    Set my desired texture format, resolution and padding.

Made sure my blinn and lambert had their diffuse values to 0.0 (won't receive light) and their ambient values set to 1.0 (uniformly full bright).
  • Aured
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aured polycounter lvl 2
    That doesn't appear in my Maya. How do I do it without MentalRay? 
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You enable the Mental Ray plugin in the plugin manager and then that menu option should be there.

If you're running Maya 2016 you need to download the Mental Ray plugin. Keep in mind that there are different MR plugins for different service pack versions of Maya, make sure you get the right one.