Home General Discussion

I create characters. But i never animate them.

Hello all. I want to do character modeling in the industry so i always create characters any second i have the chance. I have so many base models, finished characters, and awesome concepts. But i never animate any of my characters... It's like i'm afraid to or something. Is it bad? Is there any way to get over this hurdle?

Also what's your method for getting a concept for a character? I fall into a creative rut sometimes thinking up a new character.

Replies

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Learn how easy making a quick rig is, programs like Maya have HumanIk, and Blender has Rigify. Both take very little time to set up. 

it'll get you started. 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    When you say animate them, you mean full keyframed motion or just placing them in a appealing pose?
  • Supersexysoapturtle
    Leaning more towards full keyframed motion. I have made poses for most of them.
  • Supersexysoapturtle
    Thanks for the tips man. Does anyone still use the joint tool? I have always been pretty biased towards premade rigs.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    If you want to be a character artist and just be a character artist thats fine. Plenty of people have done that and still do that.
    However if you are asking if its a good idea to learn some basic rigging skills, then I would say yes. Mainly because it will help you create better characters going forward.
    It will give you a good understanding of what tolopogy works best for animation. But most importantly IMO you will understand why some things work better than others when you have to go through the pain of skinning a mesh yourself.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have taken the time over the last 20 years to try and learn the basics of character animation. I can do walk and
    run cycles( not great , but passable). I would love to be a great natural talent at animation but i am not lol
    i can a get a walk or looking maybe 75 percent ok, but then I can't seem to improve it any more

I worked with this 'grumpy' bloke a few years back who reckoned that you can't learn animation, you are either good or you are not.
    not sure what i think of that really, since I always came down on the side of natural talent when it comes to art.
    I still think its a good thing to learn even if you never make it as a proper animator.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Eh, Ruz, I don't know, in my humble opinion, I think that if you spent the same time animating like you did learning to do proper character art, you'd be a full blown animator.
  • Supersexysoapturtle
    I do as well. Ruz is awesome. I do think anyone can learn anything as long as they put some effort into it. I havent seen many jack of trades 3d artists. But i hope to be one. Anyway. Thanks so much for your help guys. Do you have any tips for concept arting a character?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Mialx, but I think if i had the same enthusiasm for animation as modelling and texturing then i would spend the required
    time to get at least good at it. I am not sure if I would be down with all the techinal side of it - involves thinking too much:)
    also doesn't game anim these days involve a lot  of cleaning up mo cap?. I would hate that literally, seen collleagues doing that and they hated it too.
    Supersexysoapturtle - again concepting is not my thing. I used to do 2d illustration but I think to be a good concept artist
    is a tough thing to master. maybe using mood boards with various photo refs is another way to go