Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[FINAL] Historical - Two Tone 1941 Blue Steel

puppeteer
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
This is a skin I've been working on for over a week now, first batch I uploaded was for the summer variant alone, and a few days ago I uploaded the winter variant too. Still making a few changes here and there, trickiest part is the placement of the red star. The problem is that the default decals almost always take the good spots on the tank, and even though you can remove those with a mod, it will be there in official matches, always. So I'm working with the decals in mind to avoid any grief if the skin gets accepted.

The mod is already posted to the workshop:
- Summer variant:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=582042769

- Winter variant:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590992710

Here are a few screenshots I took recently:

Replies

• reallymadmaveric
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Very subtle I love it 
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, here is the reference it's based on.

I think I may have made it a bit too subtle. Might change the pattern a bit.

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    This was originally one of my first choices for this contest, but you beat me to it. I even had that same reference picture in my reference folder  :p  Your execution of the pattern is spot on and looks great so far. Good luck and I can't wait to see more! 
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh said:
    This was originally one of my first choices for this contest, but you beat me to it. I even had that same reference picture in my reference folder  :p  Your execution of the pattern is spot on and looks great so far. Good luck and I can't wait to see more! 
    Thanks, I didn't even know about that site until my nephew pointed it out to me. Lots of great references. He also insisted that I do that skin mod and kept pestering me on it, so here we are.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    soviets as well as Germans not used the same cammo pattern in each vehicle, your reference is correct and came up from Moscow offencive , but not used in each soviet vehicle. For example such cammo pattern not used in Tanks after 42 -43 , so there are no references in IS-2 ISU-155 IS-75 etc etc , my point of view in skins is using knowing patterns not identical the same for each vehicle.
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    soviets as well as Germans not used the same cammo pattern in each vehicle, your reference is correct and came up from Moscow offencive , but not used in each soviet vehicle. For example such cammo pattern not used in Tanks after 42 -43 , so there are no references in IS-2 ISU-155 IS-75 etc etc , my point of view in skins is using knowing patterns not identical the same for each vehicle.
    You are correct, there is only that one reference image for this pattern, so I had to improvise with the other vehicles ( IS2 and above ). The thing is that Relic are following a single-pattern-per-skin formula and I tried to keep it that way to make it easier for me to finish the skin.

One of the more interesting skins I've seen so far in the competition is this "Assorted British Armor Divisions" which has distinct camo for each vehicle:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=582182022&searchtext=

There is also that crazily detailed "Dazzle" camo, so many nice skins are starting to appear in the competition!

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Yes Ok I know about starbucks masterpiece , my point of view is that I wont following the one way patern , is hictorical incorect and I will stay in my plan after all, I have spend hours and hours to make these skins so I believe a historical accuracy deserves to as it is.
    Thanks for the info.
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a few more days to finalize my entry. Decided to diversify the patterns a bit for other vehicles. the t34 still follows the original reference, but other vehicles have different patterns on them. Here are screenshots of the whole pack:

Making sure the patterns were meeting correctly at the seams was a real b****h, but I think it turned out okay overall.
    Time to upload!
    PS: Make sure to view the image up close to see the details.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    much better aproach well done !!!! for me is a very good ending since you match up them according to models , well done!
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    much better aproach well done !!!! for me is a very good ending since you match up them according to models , well done!
    Thanks! I took your advice and tried to think of each one individually "how would it look like historically" based on that one reference picture. Overall it was a good experience, and hopefully an entry point into the steam market :D
  • f_x
    This looks really nice.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    puppeteer said:
    Thanks! I took your advice and tried to think of each one individually "how would it look like historically" based on that one reference picture. Overall it was a good experience, and hopefully an entry point into the steam market :D
    The point is not the contest , point is to be sactisfy with your work , to see your hours spended on it to get results , I'm happy for you. A question have you reupload deleting old entries? I have a problem with update skinpacks in curate version.
  • Choccy_Starfish
    Beautiful skins Puppeteer, really good looking stuff!
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Yes, this is a much improved version.  Very nice update!  Really like the patterns on each vehicle.  Well done.
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    georider said:
    puppeteer said:
    The point is not the contest , point is to be sactisfy with your work , to see your hours spended on it to get results , I'm happy for you. A question have you reupload deleting old entries? I have a problem with update skinpacks in curate version.
    I had trouble uploading the update from my computer, so in the end I had to go to another house and upload it from their connection. I think there is a problem with some of the internet connections with uploading. It's just "updating" for a while and then gives error.

I hope Relic allow people to give them the files as they are and let them build them from their company for release.