Home Technical Talk

Quixel Vs Subtance

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Seiyaru polycounter lvl 2
I am looking to use one of these software but I am curious what's more user friendly. I am currently using Maya to create some weapons for a project in school, and wondering what creates more accessible textures. Right now I am horrible with texturing and want to take that next step from model to visual texture. Money isn't too much of an issue so to speak, but I am just wondering what the comparisons are between the two. There's plenty of programs and stuff out there that I am aware (and not aware of) but to me these seem the most available.

From base glance, Substance seems more detailed in the sheer volume of texture's they have, but Quixel seems far easier to work with at base glance. Just some advice and help would appreciated! :)

Oh and I watched this Video for Quixel

http://quixel.se/hub/tutorial/ddo-painter-for-beginners-azog-breakdown/

It seems like you might NEED PS for Quixel? Or am I misunderstanding it. Sorry!

Replies

• SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Yes you need Photoshop  ( CS6 or higher ) for Quixel or it won't work. I also highly advice to test out the demo to see how it preforms. Its extremely laggy, to slow to be useful on my laptop ( I use it in class so I need it on that one) but not everyone has this issue. Program was pretty okay in learning curve but this depends ,if you have no or little experience in PS, this might not be the program to go to. 

Tried SubPaint , tried learning it for a few days but I just didn't find it anything of use to me atm that 3D Coat can't provide, so I can't really give any tips as I'm dropping it for now.

I'd suggest trying out 3D coat, its quick to learn, easy to navigate, fun to use and offers more than just texturing.  http://3dcoat.com/home/

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    You're in school still, learn both.

If you want to just quickly get your weapons textured then Quixel will be a less of a learning curve. Substance isn't just a piece of texturing software its an entire pipeline and while its easy to pickup Designer or Painter the real power of it comes from learning how they all work together from the early stages to engine side.

Quixel offers a much quicker, much easier solution for small one-off or 'hero' objects like guns. But you can do just about anything once you delve into it.

Whichever you decide to use, make plans to pick up the other and learn later on.
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the advice, not sure what to go with yet. I think because of the necessity to quickly map something out and what not, Quixel might be it according to @AdvisableRobin  

I don't personally own photoshop so it might be hard to utilize from home and school won't let us put new stuff on their computers so I may have to look into both but do one at a later time. Thank you for the advice!
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually if someones still around, does the student version of Quixel have a drop off time? Like Maya is a 3 year student license, if I pay 70 for the academic version of Quixel is it gonna drop off sometime?
  • doolally66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doolally66 polycounter lvl 2
    As far as I know Quixel is a lifetime license that you can upgrade at any point to another license. 

Quixel does require Photoshop, however it works with CS3 onwards (the minimum specs are on their site). I use it with CS3 perfectly fine (can be slow but I put that down to my PC).
    I'd highly recommend doing the free trials of substance if you don't have access to Photoshop and trying Quixel. Substance can be a bit of a learning curve but it is highly rewarding. Quixel has definitely improved over time and has less of a learning curve as it uses Photoshop and the layers function.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Never got along with Substance Painter, but I like the Substance Designer and I use it a lot. Its more stable and faster than Quixel. I find it also easier to explain to coworkers which is a huge benefit for me. When working as a team on different assets we can achieve similar quality more easily. Substance has some problems, but not as substantial as Quixel had in the past and sadly still has. The last thing I need in production is a crashing software with corrupted files and everything with a deadline coming up and coworkers smashing their keyboards... you get the point.

I´m using Quixel very much since they started. Whenever I´m working on a hero piece or my own artworks at home. Its always fun. Its encouraging creativity. Since Quixel is getting better and better with every update I might be explaining it to coworkers very soon. But I think there will always be use for Substance Designer in production.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Seiyaru!

The licenses for Quixel Suite are not time-limited. The academic license is for personal learning, but not for commercial use. :smile: If you do decide to try out the Suite, please feel free to visit Quixel.se/learn to browse our library of available tutorials. If you'd like personalized assistance or would just like to chat, send me a message and we can talk on the Quixel Google Hangout. :smile: 

Cheers!
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate all the help and advice. From the sounds of it Quixel was a good choice. I may take that offer @Synaesthesia! I'll send off a PM soon as I get home today!
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Seiyaru!

So I don't know about or where the google hangout is or how to PM on this site, but I would like to take up that offer on some advice. I watched that video above to gauge an idea on how to begin the texturing process but don't know where to go. Still kinda fresh with things but would love to pick your brain on anything you'd have to offer.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    The more I work on texture the more I appreciate procederally created textures. Still cant wrap  my mind around substance, I can confirm it does take some time before you "get it". 

I want to mention I really like substance's dev and community. Not a thing I can say for the other app.
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't speak for Quixel's end yet but their community manager on here offering assistance seems pretty awesome. I can speak for Polycounts community though. They're awesome :p 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If you'd like to get in touch with me, it might be easier to e-mail me instead: jonathan @ quixel . se :smile: I'll be around most of today, so shoot me a mail about what you'd like to discuss, whenever you're ready!
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent one off, just got home from class! I promise emails will be far more responsive than here. I sometimes forget to log on to polycount haha
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I haven't received your mail yet - did you take the spaces out of my address? I put them in there to keep spam bots from filling my inbox with garbage. :smiley: 

• Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did, its weird it didnt go through. Maybe Email me? Bluzdoggz @ yahoo . com is the email. Again spaces for same reason.
    Edit: I mean I sent another one just saying hi to test if it worked. So we'll see haha
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I got it - we're good now! :smile: 
  • dorodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dorodo polycounter lvl 3
    I own both, and it's pretty much what other people have said: they can create the same end result, although their workflow differs in a lot of ways. I've been sticking with Substance painter due to the reasons Defragger mentioned: crashes tend to happen from time to time, but mostly, I feel like it's just waaaay too slow and complex for you to get any substancial progress in your work, especially when you just wanna start painting. I have a friend who beta tested 2, but has been sticking with 1.8 because of the constant crashes and learning curve.

Of course, reading their tutorials and learning all the tips and tricks will definitely help you overcome that over time, but I feel like Painter and 3D coat are just the way to go if you just want to start texturing from the moment you pick it up. Quixel, on the other hand, is the type of program that requires planning, and the final result is just amazing and efficient when you do that correctly.
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really wanna make a new topic and clutter the forums, but is there a way to upgrade your student version Maya (2015) in my case, to the new 2016 version so I can keep up to date with features and stuff?

@dorodo: Yeah, I have a fellow student in class using Substance and he says the sheer volume of capabilities with substance is far better than quixel but quixel is just a different pipeline and learning something is better than nothing. For now I wanna start here, and if like Maya I absolutely love it, then I am gonna stick with it to learn further.
  • dorodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dorodo polycounter lvl 3
    @Seiyaru definitely! I'm looking forward to whatever you make with Quixel. Both are great softwares, It's just kinda difficult to embrace it with so many other stuff to do in college.

As for Maya, i'm pretty sure you just need to download a student license from Autodesk's website for free like you did with 2015. If you're talking about Maya LT, though, I don't know the answer.

Hope this helps!
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dorodo
    So it will overwrite the old Maya 2015? It doesn't "renew" my 3 year license. It just continues the existing length of time? Also thank you haha. I am super nervous to post anything because it's all incomplete right now :( lol
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    iirc if you're still a student you get a new 3 year license for the new version of Maya. So if you upgrade every year and you stop being a student, you'll have a student version of Maya that lasts for about 3 years after you stopped being a student.
  • Seiyaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message