Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max - Creases where there is no edge after using shell modifier on polygons?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
IEatModels vertex
hello, can anyone help me figure out why I am seeing creases in my polygons after using the shell modifier or what I can do to avoid this? I need those polygons to look flat after I apply the shell modifier. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Your polygons are not planar - Shell modifier converts the model to editable mesh instead of editable poly, which shows faceting on non-planar polygons. You can hit "make planar" in editable poly or assign smoothing groups to the polygons to avoid this happening.
  • IEatModels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatModels vertex
    Millenia said:
    Your polygons are not planar - Shell modifier converts the model to editable mesh instead of editable poly, which shows faceting on non-planar polygons. You can hit "make planar" in editable poly or assign smoothing groups to the polygons to avoid this happening.

ohh gosh, I did not realize shell was converting it to an editable mesh, blah~! THANKS!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Millenia said:

ohh gosh, I did not realize shell was converting it to an editable mesh, blah~! THANKS!
    This is 'legacy residue' that's been in Max for donkey's years. Some modifiers still do this. You will notice it when you collapse your stack. The base will either remain an editable poly or an editable mesh, depending on the last mod in the stack.