Home Technical Talk

Lowpoly / Re-topology Help !

shubham kumar
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
Any suggestions for lowpoly this kind of shape for a good Normal map !!

Replies

• andrzejBG
    You mean those holes? I would try opacity map on a regular, low poly  hollowed cylinder.
  • shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't it  will look bad , i am making it as a realistic gun and as a  first person perspective ,those holes are problem
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    For a first person weapon it will be the best to model those holes. 
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Check out the How u model dem shapes thread, the 'cylinder with holes in' has been explained quite a few times there. You didn't post any wires but my guess is that you need a much higher poly density to support the holes without pinching (i.e. increase the amount of sides to that cylinder)

edit: ah, was reading the thread wrong. You do have some pinching though, not sure if you want that. Like others have said, modelling the holes would be the best option for first person usage, maybe a shell modifier as you'll need the frame to have a thickness
  • shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i did it 
    i spend a lot of time on it but finally did it 

• The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    It has to be said, but your topology is a mess. It will work, but don't take this the wrong way - you could have done a far better job. Try and solve a problem with as few steps as possible - I can tell by the vertices on the left that you're manually moving vertexes around, when really you should be achieving these shapes with as few steps as possible - just inputting values and moving sliders and using basic modifiers. 
    By all means move on if you wish, but from one artist to another, don't accept this as the best you could do. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It has to be said, but your topology is a mess. It will work, but don't take this the wrong way - you could have done a far better job.
    +1
    Yes, even on your high-poly the poor topology is very apparent even without the wireframe. All those pinching artifacts around the detailing will transfer to your normal map. You might be lucky and hide them in your texturing, but it would be far more beneficial to you as a modeler to learn how to properly model(especially when using sub-division surfaces)

Adding details/cutouts to cylindrical topology is notoriously troublesome. That's why it's a good idea to model it as a flat plane and use a bend modifier(or the equivalent in your 3d package)

Here's a vid tut I did a few years back on this very subject. It's old and 3dsMax, but still relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhVFg1idUU

• shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys , i will rework on the highpoly and make a better lowpoly 
  • shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i am stuck at this part, 
    how do i create a pichless highpoly of this