Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dr.No's lair- James bond UE4 Environment - need critiques

TrevorJ
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
Hey PC, long time no post. I've been chipping away at this enviro for my portfolio. I'm at a point now where I would like any feedback I can get on it. I still have some blockout geo in there for some props(lamps, bureau, bear rug). I also feel like it needs a lot more micro population. Things like books etc on the desk and some fruits and food on the dining. There's also a couple stock Epic things in there i still want to pull out,(the statue, the carpet)

I also would like your thoughts on whether or not I should stick slavishly to the movie set or just make it the most interesting enviro I can. I don't plan on showing the movie screen shots in my portfolio but I included them here for now. Basically what i'm asking is, is it better to just make a great looking environment or stay faithful to the original scene? I already went away from it by adding the vault door, I felt like the environment was lacking a main focal point once I blocked it out, but I would like to hear what people have to say on that topic. Anyway, enough talk, pics.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, added a bunch of micro assets, changed the floor textures and tweaked the lighting and post processing. Feedback is welcome!

• stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    hmm i liked the previos lighting better. felt more 60s. if you are going to deviate even more from the original, i suggest taking it further in the 60s direction. i mean, you should push it so it screams "evil lair" more. if i wouldnt known it was from that movie, it would just seem like a normal room to me, except for the vault door.
    why not display cases with stolen historical treasures or exotic weapons or something like that? maybe a trap door in front of the vault? sharks swimming in a tank?
    technically it looks really good though
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    haha sorry just saw the shark in the tank. well even more stuff like that would be good in my opinion
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Really unique environment choice, well done, its coming along really well and I can see how the new lighting is more like the lighting in the film.
  • samifira
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    I think the new lighting is a better direction. The original lighting seemed to warm in comparison to the film. Maybe keep tweaking it and taking it a little bit further. The lighting is almost there.

Also, I love the ornamentation on your table. Looks great.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the thoughts, ill take another drive at the lighting and see what i can come up with. The lighting now is more like it is in the film, but maybe ill try something that's way more moody. I do agree with STICKADTROJA that it doesn't really scream evil mans lair.