Home General Discussion

Freelance question, if applying multiple jobs..

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
miica polycounter lvl 14
Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice from fellow experienced freelancers here..

I am looking for freelancing works currently, right now I am discussing a project with a client, but it felt to me that my price I gave him is not what he expect and haven't receive any reply from him yet (it's not over one day but usually he reply rather quickly).

I am thinking if this doesn't work out, I will look for other opportunities, should I start applying for other jobs before getting a reply from my client?

So what I really want to know is do you usually apply for multiple jobs and if lets say you got two offers, one is better than the other, how would you reject the lesser offer? what is a more appropriate way to handle things?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Yes you do need to be searching for multiple jobs. Jobs often have downtime in the start, and in the middle. It's better to have a few concurrent jobs. 

Don't reject any jobs, especially since you're just getting started. Work overtime instead, nights and weekends. You need to take all the work you can get. With a bit more experience, you'll be able to figure out how much is going to be too much.

I recommend you keep track of how many hours you work on each task. A spreadsheet is great for this. This will help you predict future jobs, how much work you can handle.

I put lots of good info here for Freelancers. Worth a look.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance

Good luck! The first year is the toughest, but it does get better!
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    miica said:
    So what I really want to know is do you usually apply for multiple jobs and if lets say you got two offers, one is better than the other, how would you reject the lesser offer? what is a more appropriate way to handle things?

Thanks in advance :)

Yeah, ideally you'll need to book or schedule freelance work for EVERY 12 months of the year (or more).  But beware of your own limits.  Having multiple freelance projects on your plate AT THE SAME TIME can and will drive you nuts (cuz your clients may not be aware of each other and will only care about their own project which they're in business with you).  Unless you disclose, each client will assume you're working for them exclusively and full time.

If you have 2 offers try to fit the lower paying one in your work schedule.  Negotiate to have that client's deadlines further ahead than the one that pays more or have better opportunities for your overall portfolio.  If this low baller insists on his schedule demand for a higher fee or a larger dollar deposit before any work begins.

Only reject if the prospective client counters with unfair compensation or unrealistic expectations.