Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SmilingMountain's Character Art Practice Thread

SmilingMountain
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycount,

Thought I'd finally post some of my character work here. The goal of this thread is to improve my character art, and work towards creating a decent entry level portfolio.

Since I was a little rusty, I started out with some lower poly stuff, I also wanted to improve my hand painted textures. I looked at the work of artists like Ben Mathis, Pior Orbeson and Jonathan Rush for inspiration. Any comments and critique on how I can improve my textures (colour, value, edge control etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Male face practice based on Andrew Loomis' ideal proportions, textures in Photoshop:

Female Anatomy Study to test out 3dCoat:

Low Poly Star Trek, also done in 3d Coat:

Thanks for checking out my work! If you'd like to see any additional images UV's, wires etc. please ask.

Replies

• SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A better image of the female bust:

• SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on a model of Howard Wolowitz aka Simon Helberg from TBBT. It's aimed at mobile/tablet platform, and is about 2000 tris and 1 512x512 texture map. Currently at the unwrapping stage going into texturing in 3d coat. I'm looking for any general critique, but to give you some ideas:

-Does the silhouette read well?
    -Does the joint topology look like it will deform OK, could the topology in other areas be better?
    -Could I make better use of the UV space
    -Would this be interesting as a folio piece, is it boring?
    - Is the tri count to high/low for the intended platform

model
    Here is a screenshot from max and the UV's.

Thanks!