Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Station Escape Room

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Nolt polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys, I am currently working on this sci fi escape pod room and wanted to see if I could get some input on it. Anything would be appreciated. At the moment I am not entirely happy with the lighting and not sure if it's the coloring, the contrast or what that is bugging me. The room needs some more details in areas that are a bit sparse too.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first thing I noticed was that there weren't any real focal points to this space.  I really couldn't settle on a place I should be looking, so my eyes were bouncing all over the place.

Also, do you have any sort of mood in mind for this space?  Is this place abandoned, cold and empty?  Do you want it to feel warm and inviting?  Think about the purpose of the space and the story behind it and use that as a guide.

It looks like you have huge windows with a really cool blue/purple nebula thing in the background.  It actually takes up a lot of screen space in a few of your shots.  Maybe use that as a key light source and flood the space with that, then light the rest with smaller fills and some glows from the techie bits?  I think the mechanical stuff happening under the main floor running alongside the catwalk is really cool.  Some soft uplighting might look great in there!

Something that was just bugging me a little bit, those skinny braided wires holding up the catwalks on each side.  Lessening up the frequency of those and maybe thickening those up might look nice.  In some shots, the third one especially, they just create a lot of noise in the image, also they are aliasing quite a bit, which would happen less if they were a little bigger.   

• Samuraidragon13

I agree with Gsokol, I don't see any particular place that the player should actually be looking at as far as direction.  Also the lights on the ceiling seem a bit to bright.  You could also try messing with the specular, I know it is a metal environment but it might be a little bit to reflective especially on the console tables.  I do like the layout and the design that you have and your models look awesome.  I think if you reduce the reflectivity you will notice a big difference.

• Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    @ GSOKOL - Thanks! Yeah I get what you mean with the wires. They are a bit obtrusive. I was using a sun in the one shot as the main lighting but maybe I should relight it using some of that purple blue coming from the nebula.... I'll give it a try and try to add some focal points. Thanks!

@SAMURAIDRAGON13 - Thanks, I toned down the ceiling lights as they were just kind of giving everything an even lighting rather than some variation. And I am reworking the metalness and roughness maps for the console tables as you are right they're off a bit. Thanks!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Made some updates and added a bit more character. I have a particle system spawning meteors outside but they're coming through kind of dark so I'm going to play around with getting those a bit more visible. Thoughts?