Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: I feed DDO new input maps, but nothign changes.

Hi,
I have made substantial changed to my model for which I have a quite complex project with tons of custom masks, tweaks etc. so restarting from scratch would be a HUGE problem especially since the materials come from 1.8 and when I try to save them as smart materials with 2.0 it simply doesn't work.

So I have all my new maps and I feed them to DDO, after a couple of seconds of computation it says project re-rendered but NOTHING has changed.
So why isn't it taking into consideration my new ID/Normal/Space Normal/Height/Curvature/ etc.?

I think the biggest trouble I have is that if anything in DDO folders gets accidentally deleted or moved then it almost impossible to edit a project and this gets problematic when you work on projects for a long time and you need to make substantial changes.

Any pointers would help, I need to complete this project today!

Replies

• Aeon Soul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to add:
    whatever map I feed it it says "rendering", then "exploding colors" at this point the ID map becomes a  purple 1px document, it says "done" and nothing has changed.
    This happens if I feed it one(any) map, all the maps, a few maps... I tried all combo.
    Also restarting everything didn't make a difference, just added to the time wasted.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I really hate saying this, but unfortunately, the materials from Suite 1.8 are not compatible with Suite 2. :frowning:  We're bringing a tool back from the beta, once it's been bug tested completely, that will allow you to convert your 1.8 materials to the Suite 2 material standards - which have changed significantly from 1.8 to 2, thus becoming incompatible.

Also, re-rendering won't override custom masks. So if you used a significant amount of custom hand-painted masks in Photoshop, those will take precedence over color ID changes - you'd have to edit each custom mask to either remove them or adjust them to match your new ID map. By custom I mean having painted the mask in Photoshop using the "Paint mask in Photoshop" option in DynaMask. Anything painted in Photoshop manually via that method will override other inputs.

The only real option I can think of to fix your particular issue would be to downgrade back to 1.8 to complete it. I wish I had a better solution for you but that is unfortunately all I can think of. :frowning: 
  • Aeon Soul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand what you're saying, however I have already worked on this project in 2.0.
    Me mentioning that I can't export 1.8 materials was linked to the idea that I could restart the project from scratch, which is something I cannot do, which is why I need DDO to consider my new input maps.

So the question remains, why is the tool ignoring the maps I'm feeding it?

I don't really care about compatibility right now, I can work in 2.0, but it needs to reimport my input maps, which is something it isn't doing. I explained its behaviour above.

Btw, once I downloaded and installed Quixel Suite 2.0 I could no longer use 1.8, it would throw any kind of Photoshop runtime error at me, stuff that didn't happen before.
  • Aeon Soul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the "Clear all maps" feature and reloaded all my maps, including a curvature, now a prompt has appeared that says "DDO couldn't find any maps to bake Curvature from. Curvature is needed to create weathering. Do you want 3DO to bake it for you?"
    I fed it Norma, OBJ Space Normal, AO and Curvature. I have a feeling DDO is ignoring the curvature I'm giving it.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There's no guarantee that anything made with 1.8 will function with 2. The material system isn't the only thing to change between versions - there's a lot of back-end programming that changed as well, which necessitates the use of a fresh Suite 2 project for any work made with the new version of the software. This is the reason why the reimporter isn't functioning correctly. The only solutions I can really give to this would be to uninstall Suite 2 if it throws errors with 1.8 installed, and use 1.8 to complete the work.

Otherwise you'd need to rebuild the project using the masks in Photoshop. By using ALT+LMB on each mask, you can copy and paste them into the Paint Mask in Photoshop feature of DynaMask for each layer and rebuild your project to Suite 2 spec relatively fast, while maintaining the same appearance - assuming that UVs didn't change, or that the reimported normals didn't significantly change the appearance of the model. I would absolutely love to give more assistance here but we're limited by the incompatibility between 1.8 and 2 currently.
  • Aeon Soul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks,
    I must have missed this information when I downloaded the Suite 2 or I would have waited to finish my projects before upgrading.

Yes, the normal has changed very significantly.

Thanks for the help.