Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[WIP] German - Historical - Dunkelgrau & Bronze/Brown

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Stosh polycounter lvl 4
This will be my entry into the Warpaint contest. I wanted to go historical and find some interesting patterns that utilized more of the steel/gray of the tank within it. I found 3 solid color patterns I will be choosing from. Credit to Tanks Encyclopedia for the descriptions and information on each tank. 

"Panzer 38(t) Ausf C, 8th Panzerdivision, French Campaign, May-June 1940"
^^^^^^^^ *****DECIDED ON THIS TANK'S PATTERN***** ^^^^^^^^

Three-tone camouflage of green, brown, and light steel used in 1937 - 1938 on the Neubaufahrzeug (Nb.Fz. TypeA) 

"Panzer IV Ausf.F2/G, 1st Panzerdivision Grossdeutschland, Voronezh, June-July 1942. Improvised Pattern of sprayed brownish sand over standard factory dunkelgrau." 

Right now I'm leaning towards the top pattern as it has 3 tones to work with, which I would find to be more interesting and probably pleasing to the players of CoH2. I'll be creating 2D images in Photoshop of repeatable patterns of each of these just to get a better feel of the shapes and how I would layout the patterns themselves. Plus just practicing making a camouflage pattern in the first place. :smile: 

Replies

• f_x
    Nice... I think any of them will be a good choice.  What I like about the second and third options which I hope you will incorporate are the signage/insignias.

Thanks for the pointer to "Tanks Encyclopedia"... that's a great resource!
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    this is the early 42 cammo patern applied on vehicles in eastern front above the factory grey, that one used till 42 start 43 , after the constructed tanks never use it , since the factory grey color replaced by a yellow one that was more easy for tank crews to apply a custom pattern in the battlefield according to texture enviroments of it. That's why first cammo patterns is knowing that saw action durring the battle of kursk.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Some results of my 2D pattern practice. Just trying to get a good idea of proportion between different colors and the flow of the camouflage on a 2D surface.

Neubaufahrzeug (Nb.Fz. TypeA) 3 Toned Camouflage:

Panzer IV Ausf.F2/G brownish sand & "dunkelgrau": 

Panzer 38(t) Ausf C Brown/Bronze & "dunkelgrau": 

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    These cammo paterns is an example of the colors , to adjust such in a vehicle tank is not easy , you can't just aply a patern in psd you must see which part goes where and how it can be conected with each part of the vehicle. No1 pattern used basical in Eastern front , in North front , Narva east prussia etc etc , No2 is a custom apply cammo in some of the armor in North Africa special in 43 durring the battles in Tunis, No3 patern is a patern that most used after 41 till end 42 in Eastern front , and after never used since all the vehicles /tanks came out of production with basic factory sand/yellow color.
    Don't try to search patterns try to search references, the net is full of historical pictures and sites that will give you many examples.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    I understand that what I just posted can't just be applied into the PSD over the UVs. Again, it was just for my own way of practicing and getting a better feel for each camouflage pattern's proportions between colors and the amount of space the gray in each pattern takes up.

Do you feel these 2D practice images show a good 2D representation of the tank patterns I based them off of? Or do you have any recommendations on any adjustments I should make?

Also do you have the links to these references that you are mentioning on hand? A lot of what I found so far in images showing actual tanks were black and white images which I understand can help to some regard, but in color would be more beneficial. The best one I found was Tank Encyclopedia, which so far has been great. 
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Tank encyclopedia  is ok for start but for such matters regarding skins find me on steam we can talk there.

• Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Stosh said:
    I understand that what I just posted can't just be applied into the PSD over the UVs. Again, it was just for my own way of practicing and getting a better feel for each camouflage pattern's proportions between colors and the amount of space the gray in each pattern takes up.

Do you feel these 2D practice images show a good 2D representation of the tank patterns I based them off of? Or do you have any recommendations on any adjustments I should make?

Also do you have the links to these references that you are mentioning on hand? A lot of what I found so far in images showing actual tanks were black and white images which I understand can help to some regard, but in color would be more beneficial. The best one I found was Tank Encyclopedia, which so far has been great. 
    Actually, your patterns could be just applied in the psd's provided by relic.  You will have to find places where they grossly don't line up, but it's definitely doable. 
    As far as color references go, georider has advised me on many occasions to look at plastic scale tank modelling sites.  Especially look at decal makers for tank models.  Google Bison decals images to see what I mean. Good luck!
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Leave something secret Starbuck ;):wink: , stosh find me in steam I will guide you there , if you like you are welcome to the club , I will provide with instuctions
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    I decided awhile ago to go forward with the Dunkelgrau and Bronze/Brown camo design (3rd one). I'm planning on updating soon, but I had some questions. 

I've initially created my mod and it all built correctly, but when I try to make any changes and rebuild or build it again, it doesn't seem to save my changes. I recreated a few of my diffuse maps or skins with some color adjustments, but they don't seem to be updating from my older versions.

Second, I've seen people take screenshots that don't have the HUD or any of the UI Icons on the screen. I can't figure out how to accomplish taking that type of screenshot. 
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    play the game , save replay , play replay while in replay pause the game in any pose you want to takee scrrens , then click Cntrl+U to remove the ui
    and then you get your pictures.
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Stosh said:

I've initially created my mod and it all built correctly, but when I try to make any changes and rebuild or build it again, it doesn't seem to save my changes. I recreated a few of my diffuse maps or skins with some color adjustments, but they don't seem to be updating from my older versions.

Under the Build tab hit the "clean" button. Now try building the mod again.  Sometimes this helps me when I have that situation.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    That did work, although for some reason my 250 halftracks are still showing up much lighter than my other vehicles. Even though my .tga diffuse map is much darker. My guess is only that the diffuse map is correct and did get changed, but I noticed the Specular map for the 250 halftrack is mostly grey where as most other vehicles' specular map is mostly black. I assume that just means, that because of the specular map, the camo will show up lighter since the reflectance value is up by default for the halftracks.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Two other basic questions. I've used this Cheat Mod to allow me to easily spawn my vehicles I have skins for, but a few things I haven't been able to see so far which I'm sure deal with upgrades or something I'm missing. I haven't figured out how to spawn a Goliath and I haven't figured out how to spawn the panels on the Brummbar and StuGs. Sorry, I'm brand new to playing CoH2 and I haven't been able to find out via Google search how to do either of those. 
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    in cheat mod there is an option veterance the star icon click that on units and gain veterance so after level 2 for eastern front germans an upgrade with side skirts occures in brummbard,stugIII,panzIv, the same goes with western front germans with jagdpnzIV as well as panther for both.
    Goliath is under western front german commanders so you must spawn one to make it available for spawning.
    Sdkfz 250  have occlution and light levels that efects inside , you need to make many changes for making it sawing different inside.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Finally time for some serious updates! Got about 1/3 of the tanks done on a "first pass." I'm focusing on creating the patterns first and will PLAN to add in decals (now that the deadline has been extended). There are a few minor things I noticed on some of the tanks I need to adjust after taking the screenshots, but overall I feel like the ones I have below are in good shape :smile: 

Army of Tank Shots:
    Summer

Winter

Images of individual vehicles in next few posts...
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    250 Halftracks:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Brummbar:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Elefant:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Stugs:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Tiger:

Summer

Winter

AND That's it for now...more updates to come including other vehicles with full patterns and hopefully onto decals! :smile: 
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Goliath:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Halftrack:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Opel Blitz:

Summer

Winter

(Not sure how to put the tarp over the Opel Blitz in game).
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Ostwind:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Panzerwerfer:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Scout Car:

Summer

Winter

Getting down to the last few. Will be working on those plus trying to create icons in game for the inventory menu. 
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Final few vehicles done!
    Panther:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Panzer IV:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Puma:

Summer

Winter

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    New Summer Full Army Pictures!

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    New Winter Full Army Pictures!

• Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    Finally got it working in the Steam Workshop. Created two separate skin packs, one for summer and one for winter.

Summer Pack: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622657458

Winter Pack: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=622629266