Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[WIP] Steelbeasts-OKW War Animals

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everybody!
I don't have any experience in creating skins, but, for heaven's sake, I love CoH2, there's plenty of tutorials available and I'm starting a course in Game Designing this year so I may give it a chance!

Anyway, enough with introductions, what I want to create is metal twisted vehicles, with spikes protruding from the sides, jaws in place of the pieces of ordnance, may be even some metal plates attached on the front hulls arranged in such a way to resemble a couple of eyes, to further enphasises the idea of a mechanical monster lumbering forward towards the enemy lines.

This is going to be a difficult challenge for me, but should I be able to upload on Steam a final product which I consider decent, that would be already a great success for me.

Well, wish anybody who partecipates in the competition best luck for their projects as well!

Replies

• puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
    If you mean you want to remodel the tanks, then that's not possible currently. The competition is for a texture reskin of the vehicles, and the models aren't provided, only textures.
  • GenAugustus
    puppeteer said:
    If you mean you want to remodel the tanks, then that's not possible currently. The competition is for a texture reskin of the vehicles, and the models aren't provided, only textures.
    Really? Ah well, guess i'll have to see what I can do then.
    But among the possible type of reskins for the competition is included one where you can turn the metal of the vehicles into flesh.
    How is that not considered as remodeling?
  • GenAugustus
    As I mentioned above, I'm a newbie at this type of editing, so someone could explain me this thing.
    I followed step by step what was told in the Mod Builder  and Wizard tutorials, I uploaded the OKW skins, I downloaded the free version of photoshop, but this is what I came up with when I tried to reskin the jagdtiger....
    (I checked with other units as well, this is always the same type of image I get)

This is clearly not what I am supposed to work with in order to create my skins, aren't I?
    Has anybody any idea what could have gone wrong?
    I mean, there should be at least a 3D model of the unit I'm going to reskin, right?
  • WarrenM
    I asked that in the Q&A thread ... can we get meshes ... I hope so, because this seems almost impossible without them.  Painting blindly on UV shells is tedious at best.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    WarrenM said:
    I asked that in the Q&A thread ... can we get meshes ... I hope so, because this seems almost impossible without them.  Painting blindly on UV shells is tedious at best.

• reallymadmaveric
    Use the game tool  once downloaded it will  give you some good psd files for the germans US and Soviets. The original vehicle files are very comprehensive with all the layers and uvs but the later models like the Brits and new releases like the hetzer are rubbish, making some of them hard work.
  • WarrenM
    We have the PSDs.  What we're asking for is meshes.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    From what I gathered it's a no to meshes for now. Best you have is in game preview atm :-/
  • GenAugustus
    Grumpntug said:
    From what I gathered it's a no to meshes for now. Best you have is in game preview atm :-/
    Yeah, I can check in game, but what I'm lacking is actually a model I can start to reskin.
    How can I reskin a unit if all I have is each drawn component of said model?
    I can't even recognise some of those components, how am I supposed to know which is everything's right spot in the final model?

On a side note, thank you all for the replies, your information is extremely welcome!

edit: I couldn't find online, so what's the exact definition of UV shell? I can already imagine what they are , but I'd like to know what is its professional definition, since I'll have to know these terms once I start my Game Developer course.

• Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    WarrenM said:
    We have the PSDs.  What we're asking for is meshes.
    What do you mean by meshes?  If you're referring to a UV map then look in the PSD's first folder called "Helpers" (I think). There should be a mesh in there.
    As far as seeing what you paint, it's a laborious task of guess and check.  Paint, save, build mod, load up the game, then using a cheat mod, plop your vehicle for examination.  It's tedious for sure.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I can check in game, but what I'm lacking is actually a model I can start to reskin.
    I can't even recognise some of those components, how am I supposed to know which is everything's right spot in the final model?

On a side note, thank you all for the replies, your information is extremely welcome!

edit: I couldn't find online, so what's the exact definition of UV shell? I can already imagine what they are , but I'd like to know what is its professional definition, since I'll have to know these terms once I start my Game Developer course.

Welcome to Polycount and game modding. :)

In most cases throughout game history we've not been able to paint directly on a model. The tech has been around since the mid 90's really, but it was too clunky for production till the past decade or so, and even in the early 2000's it was fairly specialized software. (Remember deep paint anyone?)   Even then, when making a texture mod, the models were often in some specialized format that the public never got access to. 

Oldschool production, and just about every texture mod and community skinpack ever had just the flat textures to work with.   This is where being an artist comes in. You actually need to be able to visualize and work with the 3d form in a 2d flattened space. 

A few terms to help out: 
    Skin - the texture the model has on it. I've seen it used lately to mean "the model I'm using in the game" but this is more by players than by developers.

Model or Mesh - The actual geometry that has a skin on it and that moves about in the game.

So this is a skin, or texture competition. No modeling involved. no geometry changes. 

You can totally revamp the texture without having a source model. Its harder, but the models involved are all unwrapped quite well and with minimal distortion. 

To address some of your questions: 

I can't even recognise some of those components, how am I supposed to know which is everything's right spot in the final model?"
    Download the PSD's look at the wireframe of the UV islands. Paint each island a recognizable color. Export that as a texture and bring it in game. Take screenshots. 

Alternatively grab a UV checker texture (http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Coordinates) Export that to the game. Take screenshots.

edit: I couldn't find online, so what's the exact definition of UV shell? 

A UV shell, or UV island, is a single contiguous block of vertices in UV space. The flattened representation of the model has discontinuities for various reasons, usually ease of texturing and minimization of distortion, and this results in separate regions. Simple models like a sphere may have only a single UV shell. 

Hope that all helps. Good luck, and have fun expanding your skillset and comfort zones. :)
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Grumpntug said:

Trial and error, I tend to mark different sections with different colours (and A, B, C, D, ect). View it in game, then take a couple screenshots and use that as reference. It's definitely a slower process than if we had the source models, but oh well. Most areas you can make out straight away as the barrel, the tracks, ect.

UV mapping is how we are able to project a 2d image on a 3d model. 

Check out the wiki and don't be afraid to look online to learn some more! http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Coordinates
  • GenAugustus
    thank ya all for the detailed answers! i'm definetely going to check as soon as possible all this information and see what I come out with!
  • GenAugustus
    I tried to create my first skin (nothing special, just to see how it works out) and then I selected the "Build" option in the COH2 mod tool.

However, this is what I came out with: Error building my_skin.mod: Java home path not set.

what am I supposed to do in order to solve this?

this is what I tried to create

Mostly changed the overall saturation and added a bar on the cannon to easily recognise it.
  • reallymadmaveric
    I tried to create my first skin (nothing special, just to see how it works out) and then I selected the "Build" option in the COH2 mod tool.

However, this is what I came out with: Error building my_skin.mod: Java home path not set.

Its in the coh2 tool under options you need to set your current java settings image I set mine over a year ago and i cant remember how to do it . There is a very good u tube video collection by eliwood they cover a huge amount about the COH modding tool very worth while to check them out. They will save you alot of time. Hope it helps
  • greenenemy
    If you really want meshes of tanks you can do it by extracting them from game with Ninja Ripper program.
  • f_x

Its in the coh2 tool under options you need to set your current java settings
    I set mine over a year ago and i cant remember how to do it . There is a very good u tube video collection by eliwood they cover a huge amount about the COH modding tool very worth while to check them out. They will save you alot of time. Hope it helps
    +1 for anyone new to making COH2 skins to watch eliw00d's tutorial videos.

The Java Runtime and Flex SDK requirements are also explained here:

http://modding.companyofheroes.com/mod-builder