Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: Converting Normal to Height map Getting borders around edges..

I'm converting a normal map to height map and I keep getting a white border around edges.. Seems to be from my "Ultra Extreme Height Map " Layer but can't seem to get rid of the border. Any help would be appreciated.. see attached

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Murda!

May I take a look at your input map and see if I can duplicate the issue you're having? :smile: 
  • Darthmurda
    I'm creating the normal and height from this...

Synaesthesia said:

Hey Murda!

May I take a look at your input map and see if I can duplicate the issue you're having? :smile: 

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I've converted that map to normals using a photo-normal preset, and was able to successfully convert it to a height map:

Perhaps try converting the map to a normal again, and then convert that to a height map - you may have had edge beveling enabled. :smile: 
  • Darthmurda

Thank you!

Synaesthesia said:
    I've converted that map to normals using a photo-normal preset, and was able to successfully convert it to a height map:

Perhaps try converting the map to a normal again, and then convert that to a height map - you may have had edge beveling enabled. :smile: 

• lsebastian
    Offline / Send Message
    lsebastian polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, i have the same like in title, but a bit in another issue.

Have 2 obejct, high (several tens connected together) and low, low equal squere plane (one polygon) with no padding UVW mesh (fit 100%).
    I use xNormal to generate height map, when i change in "Baking options" "Edge padding on 0"  and "Antialsing on 1x" i get on right and top map edge, black border, but when i set for example: "Edge padding on 10" "Antialsing on 2x", map looks corectly, black border no appear.
    When i import this good looking height map in photoshop and a bit offset her (for check tiled), she still are fine (every pixels) no gap, no line.....smooth transition, next i convert in PS on normal, using filter from xNormal plug-ins, then edgge appear but only on one side ( i think on top).

I try many method but nothing help (cage, without cage, smooth/hard face.........). In 3ds max i use the same object and height map generate corectly ( no edge on tiled bitmap when i convet on normal).

If somone know solution and want share will be nice.

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    This does not appear to be an issue with products we develop at Quixel - kindly post in Technical Talk. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.