Home Technical Talk

Issues with normal map baking in 3ds max

elijahdar
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
elijahdar polycounter lvl 7
hello guys.
for the last three weeks im suffering with 3ds max baking my normal maps with problems. the funny thing is that i even tried xnormal but im still getting the same results. so basically i get flat normal to the center of my object's map and around the edges i get weird shadows like its distorted or something. I tried mesh skewing it didn't work. I also downloaded some project files from digital tutors and didn't change anything and I baked it I got the same issues although I rechecked the video and the guy didn't have this flat texture problem. So im guessing theres something wrong with my max and not my model. so heres a quick model i made to represent my problem:

My sample model:

my texture:

my texture applied to a low poly mesh:

So im really getting worried cuz i can't even bake a normal map without this problem anymore. plz help me.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    The baking  raytracing  occurs in radial direction  in your case.   Most probably it's because you are using the cage with vertex normals being split.     Remember the cage is mostly for defining projection direction. When the direction differ a lot from normals you get such effect.     Bake without cage  just along  vertex normals.     In case your cube has bevels  and radially pointed  normals   (single smooth group)  edit vertex normals to  be perpendicular to a  surface where the details are.