Home General Discussion

Star Trek: Beyond

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
https://youtu.be/XRVD32rnzOw

I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but...
This trailer looks like they decided to turn the stupid up to 11.

Because when I'm watching Star Trek I'm usually thinking..."you know what would make this better? If Capt Kirk took an alien dirtbike off some sweet X-treme jumps!"

Discuss!

Replies

• Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
  • Technomancr
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    Did J.J. Abrams double dog dare Justin Lin to direct a Star Trek movie without a ship? This makes me cry a little more inside.
  • bounchfx
    is this galaxy quest 2? It's taken long enough!

but really, jj actually directed the other two right? not just produced?
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I hope they nuke this cast after the third one, too much action.
  • slipsius
    The cast has nothing to do with the action...

I for one think it looks great as a popcorn flick. They certainly took a turn away from the drama of the original tv series and the original movies. Im not necessarily opposed that. I do think it looks like great fun. This is what the star trek movies are all about now. That's fine. But I'm holding out hope that the new tv series they are making will go back to the roots of star trek, and be more of a drama with some comedy, rather than pure action.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    JJ is bussy with star wars
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ... RIP Star Trek.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Simon Pegg was at the helm, for this one... 
    I'm with @slipsius on this one; it looks like a fun flick. I actually got kind of excited about it
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    slipsius said:
    The cast has nothing to do with the action...

Obviously, I just meant I hope they can this whole direction they're going in. I'm only a recent fan of Trek, mostly because of the next generation, and I just don't see the appeal of these films.
  • Mary_Marinez
    Even Hikaru Sulu (actor George Takei) from the original Star Trek TV series doesn't seem to be too pleased with the new trailer. He said: "It doesn't have the element that made Star Trek - Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek - what it was. It does look like a terrific action-adventure movie. It should be a very successful Star Trek movie. I didn't, in the preview though, note anything of the substance of what made Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek so amazing."

So there.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    bounchfx said:
    I don't think i can adequately express in words how much i want Galaxy Quest 2...
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the nu-star trek films seem all too competent in being caricatures of the originals already. no need for reanimating the galaxy quest corpse.
    besides i don't think sigourney could still do that high kick. ;)
  • slipsius
    bounchfx said:
    I don't think i can adequately express in words how much i want Galaxy Quest 2...
    I would absolutely demand a midnight showing, if that movie is ever made....
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like a fun action movie, but not a star trek movie
  • Sabotage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    Exactly, which is fine. This is a new generation of Star Trek. TNG wasnt like TOS and DS9 wasnt like TNG and so on. It can be different and still good, i think people get hung up on "this isnt what i already know therefore ITS BAD!". Really a shame it looks fun.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Sabotage said:
    Exactly, which is fine. This is a new generation of Star Trek. TNG wasnt like TOS and DS9 wasnt like TNG and so on. It can be different and still good, i think people get hung up on "this isnt what i already know therefore ITS BAD!". Really a shame it looks fun.
    Agreed.

I think the new Star Trek movies is a great way to draw in fans from younger generation, and might get people curious enough to check out the established universe from the previous movies/series.
    Like me, for example, because i wouldnt even give a damn about Star Trek if i haven't watched the 2009 one.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    The problem with the latest Star Trek movies is they don't have the same philosophical underpinning of what came before and defined the IP. The new Star Trek is stripped of what made it special and original, it is now just  another summer sequel sci-fi special effects block buster. It's not thoughtful, it's not idealistic, It's just another cynical mass market cash grab.
        It's really sad to see such an intelligent and thoughtful IP undermined and co-opted by the very ideas it fought against.
  • Sabotage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    to be fair, no one criticizing it right now has seen the movie. so statements like "not thoughtful, it's not idealistic, It's just another cynical mass market cash grab." are a bit hyperbolic, we saw like a minute of a 2-3 hour movie. Although, I don't doubt ill be right there with you on at least one of these points if and when i see it.

Also, Star Trek was only able to be as different as it was because it had a shitty time slot, a low budget, and no one cared how well it did. There's millions of dollars and jobs at risk for each new movie and each new iteration. They have to expand the market to attract different people, which is why Justin Lin was chosen to direct it and not Gus Van Sant or whoever.
     Theres like 10 other movies and countless episodes with zero motorcycles and action scenes, if thats the problem people have with it. 
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like a fun film. The new movies could use a little bit of the psychological element though. Khan was so great in the original movie because (other than great writing and acting) Captain Kirk had delt with him directly before and inadvertently caused his wife to be killed, leaving him to be a multi-dimensional character unlike the new Star Treks Kahn which was basically oh he's an evil genetic being whose super smart.

Then there was the whole exploration part that seems to have 5 minutes max in the films. The moral implications such as in the episode where Data is deemed a being with his own will over his life versus being a slave to Star fleet. The drumhead. Q. Political delegation and espionage. Klingon's doing more than shooting. ("We need breathing room!" "Earth, Hitler - 1938") The City on the Edge of Forever where Kirk has to let a peaceful woman die in order to prevent ww2 from being won by Hitler. Picard fighting an enemy that previously violated his mind and body, causing him to murder thousands of his comrades, Etc.

But then again, I'll enjoy the films for what they are. I do miss a little bit more of the star trek part though.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    2009 Trek was Okay.
    Don't get me started on Into Darkness. (I remember seeing it in the theater and we all walked out looking at each other like WTF?)
  • notman