Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Severed Moose Head

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! I'm new to Polycount and I wanted to share a recent project I worked on.
I'm always open to learning new things, and thanks in advance for feedback.

Turntable can be found here: https://vimeo.com/147953646

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    It looks pretty good when it comes to proportions and such things though there are some things that I think you can improve on.

1. The finish is very doughy looking, mostly due to the low texture res/blurry polypaint.
    2. You should have a cut at the end of the head, now it looks like he has grown hair from the wound.
    3. The blood doesn't looks like blood at all, I have a hard time figuring out whether or not the end of the neck is bloody hair or skin flaps mostly due to the color.
    4. The mirroring is pretty obvious, try to blend the seem better.
    5. You should definitely use hair cards to make the hair stick out in appropriate areas, such as the thing under the chin and the borders of the wound.

• kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I will keep these things in mind.
    Can you please explain hair cards if you have a moment? I'm unfamiliar with this.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you! I will keep these things in mind.
    Can you please explain hair cards if you have a moment? I'm unfamiliar with this.
    Well basically It just taking a flat plane and having hairs in it's texture and clumping a bunch of them together to make a hair or other small details.
    Something like this if if makes any sense: 
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, gotcha, thanks! Looks like I would create these separately in Maya after sculpting in Zbrush, then.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    HOW COULD YOU!?!

good work tho q.q
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thank you!