Home General Discussion

Fabric Engine 2

quad damage
Online / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Fabric Engine 2 - http://fabricengine.com/

What is Fabric Engine?

Fabric Engine is a digital content creation platform that enables anyone to build powerful tools and applications for VFX, Games, Virtual Reality and Visualization. Fabric Engine comes with a visual programming system that enables artists and developers of all levels to take advantage of an execution engine that handles complex tasks like multithreading and GPU computing. This core platform provides the foundation for the various components required for building 2D and 3D content creation tools, all of which can be integrated within existing production pipelines.

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    interesting idea, I see examples of using it for rigging, what else would it be really good for? Im not personally given any time at work to create tools to help myself work, I doubt most 3d artists are given time for that?
  • DireWolf
    I'm really interested in FE. I wish there's more learning resources out there.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's so weird seeing XSI support still. Seeing it work with UE4 was really cool.

Softimage and UE4 have their own visual programming, so it'll interesting to compare the 3. Looks like everything is going to have node based scripting in the future at this rate, with Substance as well.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Ged wrote: »
    interesting idea, I see examples of using it for rigging, what else would it be really good for? Im not personally given any time at work to create tools to help myself work, I doubt most 3d artists are given time for that?

What wouldn't it be good for? Pretty much anything that is done as a script or a plugin could be done in fabric engine and be deployable across a wide range of software.

The motivation behind Fabric is to liberate studios and their production pipelines from reliance on closed, proprietary DCC applications and the companies that produce those applications.
  • shaderfx
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    Until they get a high enough bid and it is sold, like any other. ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    shaderfx wrote: »
    Until they get a high enough bid and it is sold, like any other. ;)

I guess from this quote that Autodesk haven't found the magic number yet :P
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I guess from this quote that Autodesk haven't found the magic number yet :P

chillzone
  • DireWolf
    Like Aabel said. Having a universal tool creation environment is a dream comes true for any tech artist creating tools for others to use. As of now we have Python and Qt for things we want to run across multiple applications but the things it can do pale in comparison to FE.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    This seems like it's supposed to be a direct alternative to Houdini. I'm curious how they compare.
    Awful name choice, though. I avoided this all day, thinking it was just some third-party cloth simulation tool.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    This seems like it's supposed to be a direct alternative to Houdini. I'm curious how they compare.
    Awful name choice, though. I avoided this all day, thinking it was just some third-party cloth simulation tool.

The name can grow on you... I personally disliked it as well but after looking into it more, it made sense. The framework literally "weaves" multiple applications together, as though everything is interlinking strands that together create something bigger.

As for what it is, I think its closer to say its an evolution of XSI's ICE, could be wrong though. I do know they wanted to create something that isnt tied down by the dictates of any one piece of software because stuff like XSI getting shut down can happen. It also opens up the potential for far more software options in the workplace and tools that can transcend getting locked down by any one piece of software.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ICE was amazing for it's time, if that feature was in Maya or 3ds Max, people would be talking about it and using it all the time. I've seen it used for liquid and smoke simulation, fix rigging issues and add extra deformation and animation features, crowd simulation, AI, making basic games, tons of procedural generation, as a modeling tool, etc. It really makes sense to have it work with a game engine and your 3d package, you get to see results right away where you need them.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6

It's more than an alternative to any one dcc application. It's an alternative to all dcc applications, the workflows and production models they represent and the entrenched business interests that produce those applications. What's interesting and special about this revolutionary new framework is it doesn't force the artists to abandon the old tools and workflows they already know.

It works alongside and INSIDE the tools we already know while at the same time providing a way forward independent of those old tools and the companies that rent them to us.

Fabric is something completely new. It has a real chance at emerging as the unifying standard/platform for computer graphics. Oh and it's free for individuals.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Um... I could be mistaken, but you all seem to be forgetting that Houdini ENGINE is a thing.
  • DireWolf
    That was my first impression as well Grimwolf haha.

From what I see FE seems to handle data by itself really efficiently. It has nodes that computes everything, even a real time shading node which displays models exactly the same in FE Canvas and in Maya viewport.

Now I haven't tested both extensively but we have a few simulation scenes done in Houdini we tried to bring into Maya for rendering. Things that run 60 fps in Houdini dropped to 0.3 fps in Maya. Totally unworkable.

If FE handles data better than that, it will wipe the floor with Houdini Engine.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Um... I could be mistaken, but you all seem to be forgetting that Houdini ENGINE is a thing.

Houdini Engine is awesome, it has a lot in common with Fabric, it just doesn't go as far as Fabric does, yet. For instance you are not going to write complete stand alone applications with Houdini Engine. However Side Effects seems determined to be a player in the new market paradigm of content creation platforms.

What is surprising to me is that Side Effects is the only established player from the old school who gets the importance of Fabric and seeks to compete with it.
  • DireWolf
    My question has been answered and it totally rocks!
    The DCC does not play any (significant) role in viewport performance, it as pretty much an "OpenGL thingy".

That being said: the way how Fabric handles geometry and communication between its data and the graphic card is highly optimized

So that's why it can display geometry lighting fast even if Maya is so terrible at data handling.

http://answers.fabricengine.com/questions/36610/viewport-performance-does-this-rely-on-dcc.html
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Can't wait for this :poly121:

[vv]135558017[/vv]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, I need that in my life.
  • FabricPaul
    hi guys - I wrote a long reply this morning that disappeared somehow when I tried to post it. I've been out all seeing customers in L.A so apologies that this version of what I wrote is a bit more concise :)

Someone pointed me to this thread and suggested I post a hello and offer to answer any questions. So I'll monitor this thread and do my best to give solid responses. Siggraph tends to be a bit of a crazy time and we're also launching Fabric 2 so we're a little busy, so if I take a day or two to respond it's just because of that.

Anyway, thanks for the invitation. I hope to meet some of you at the show next week - you can see our Siggraph schedule on the fabric website. Should be a good week :)

Cheers,

Paul (CEO at Fabric)
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Paul...
    Was wondering if Splice deformation portability is supported in the Unreal implementation?!
    The sliding examples look pretty sexy if time invested developing a muscle system in Maya could be ported through yer core.

very interested

• marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Saw this at SIGGRAPH in august, very impressive. Difficult to understand exactly *what* it would be used for though unless you're using a whole bunch of DCCs. I mean I think it's great and I'd love to use it, but for games it seems like there isn't enough easily available information about why you should use it and what for, to be able to make a solid business case to the money-people in a studio. 
    In VFX where pipelines include many many different DCCs this kind of framework is priceless, but in games you typically don't have such complicated pipelines, so it's a harder sell.