Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walkway Scene

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
A WIP of a scene I'm working on in UE4, Crits welcome!

Replies

• Tkail
    The lighting and color of the scene looks awesome! not so sure about the pathway however, it looks like haphazardly stacked slices of stone? However I like the other textures especially the stone columns that are supporting the roof. looking forwards to seeing more ^_^
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I really think your scene could need a focal point of some sort.. either put some stronger lights at the door area or light the pathway. And yes the pattern for the walkway doesn't make a lot of sense unless you wanted it to look a bit unnatural.
  • Rynosauras
    Offline / Send Message
    Rynosauras polycounter lvl 7
    The texturing is really nice, as well as the layout of your scene.

At the moment though I'm not sure where you want me to be looking when I look at this scene, you should really work on adding in a focal point for people to look at so they don't get lost. Also with your lighting the orange could be brighter as it feels really washed out by the one coloured blue.

I'd also consider doing some little post processing things like FoV, blur in some parts, small vignette to bring focus to the center, etc.

But considering this is WIP for now just add some more interesting things to break it up, fix your lighting by making the orange stand out more and maybe redo the stone path as it feels super unnatural even though it's been painted really well. Also make the orange/red from the door way stand out the most, so really push that further. Contrast is probably the biggest thing to fix.

Anyway man if you keep it up with those textures you should have something really sweet by the end of it! good work :smiley: 
  • Rynosauras
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving it a closer look, I see that the door could make a good focal point, just make it feel like there's a stronger light source coming from within so that people feel more interested as to what could be past that doorway.
  • PLYONS
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2

@Tkail

Thanks! I will work on the design of the path, it’s supposed to be a raised stone design but not so off-putting.

@Cay

I’m going to redesign the door area to make it a clear focal point, And though unnatural was part of the path design choice I agree that I need to change the design to make it more traveler friendly. Thanks for the comments!

@Rynosauras

Defining a focal point will be done; I’m going to have to add some more practical lights to the scene to help lead the viewer. Also the pathway will get a redesign to make it work, and the lighting will be reworked, Thanks for the feedback!

• Rynosauras
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man, can't wait for some updates :smiley: 

• PLYONS
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
    @Tkail
    @Cay
    @Rynosauras
    Update on the scene. Thanks for all of the advice, keep it coming!