Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Call Of Cantha: Animated Concept Art Panoramas

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Vasburg polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone,
Today I'd like to share my latest project with you.

Call of Cantha is based on the original Guild Wars series and is basically concept art created on the thought of how this area would look like in times of Guild Wars 2 (250 years later). From a technical standpoint it differs from traditional concept art. I've incorporated 3D elements and sound, animated the paintings and stitched them together so that you can look around.

You can find it here: http://www.callofcantha.vasburg.com
Just click on one of the waypoints () on the map and use the scroll-bar to look around!
Below the map you can find additional artworks.

Here are some GIFs and stills from the project:

Many years ago, Guild Wars: Factions inspired me to become a professional concept artist. So this is basically a tribute as well as an attempt to take my artworks a step further.

I'd love to hear your feedback and critique on these!

P.S.: Please keep in mind that this is a fan-project.

Replies

• Beestonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! Keep in mind that if these images are ends unto themselves, they step outside the realm of concept art and become production art, maybe even production animation assets. But all in all, this is a very interesting project and I like where you're going with it. Are you adding your animations in After Effects?

• Vasburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasburg polycounter lvl 3
    Cool! Keep in mind that if these images are ends unto themselves, they step outside the realm of concept art and become production art, maybe even production animation assets. But all in all, this is a very interesting project and I like where you're going with it. Are you adding your animations in After Effects?

Hey BEESTONIAN,
    Thinking about the definition now, something like animation or animated illustrations might suite more.
    The animation were done and prepared in different applications. Most of the work was done in After Effects (lights, movement), but the flags were done in Maya. Some of the standard plugins of After Effects are a bit strange (especially particle simulator as you can't define certain speeds), which is why I did a bit of them in Photoshop (the waterspouts especially).
  • RainbowRat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RainbowRat polycounter lvl 3
    Ach der Erich ist auch da : P
    Hatte die meisten Sachen schon auf FB gesehen aber die animierten noch nicht, welche ich ziehmlich cool finde. Aber da du bestimmt keine Lobreden hören willst, nenne ich mal lieber, was mir negativ auffällt.
    Bei dem animierten Bild mit dem Wasser und dem Löwenkopf hat mich die vertikale links vom Löwenkopf extrem verwirrt. Zudem ein Stückchen unter den beiden Kabeln diese Kante verläuft, dessen Verhalten im Raum mir immernoch nicht ganz klar geworden ist xD
    Ragt sie in den Raum? Ist sie über oder auf dem Wasser? Was macht die da? Genau an der Stelle trennen sich auch die beiden Wasserflächen, während eine zur Seite und die andere abwärts fließt. Das abwärts fließende Wasser macht auf mich allerdings eher den Eindruck, als würde es stark aufwärts fließen. Das wären hier so die einzigen beiden Punkte~

Bei dem zweitletzten Bild, den Wolkenkratzern, finde ich, dass sie noch viel zu sehr nach kahlen, texturierten Quadern aussehen. Die Balkone und Holzgerüste finde ich bereits super, aber für meinen Geschmack könnte da noch einiges mehr hin. Vlt auch vereinzelt ein paar menschliche Shilouetten ( Banana for scale ).