Home Technical Talk

MightyBake Tool Announce

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    ive tested the UDIM support its working fine so far...
    would be great you could add mudbox naming conventions to...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1z2yy-Q6G88/T5UPNsXjVuI/AAAAAAAAAUM/cVKAJ4gACEE/s1600/UDIM_chart.jpg

texturename_u1_v1.exr
    texturename_u2_v1.exr
    texturename_u3_v1.exr
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    oh no i found some baking errors...

here is the frog

• mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    mightybake polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for testing it! I'll add the mud box naming in the next release and fix the baking errors.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyBake version 1.4.7 released. You can download it here.

Version 1.4.7 - Nov 17 2015

• (Feature) Name matching option to pair high poly to low poly so you don't have to explode the model
    • (Feature) UV Tiling support  with both UDIM (Mari) and Mudbox naming conventions
    • (Fix) UDIM tile rendering error fixed
    I will post a tutorial for both of these soon.  The name matching works by searching all high poly objects for the names of low poly objects.  It is off by default but you can find it in the options menu.

For example, a low poly scene has three objects
    - body
    - clothes
    - hat

High poly scene has five
    - body_hp_head
    - body_hp
    - clothes
    - hat_01
    - hat_emblem

When you turn on name matching, all the body objects are used with the body low poly, the clothes with clothes and the two hat objects bake to the hat.

For all you vehicle and weapons modellers this may come in handy, less exploding models.

Rob
    MightyBake guy
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Thanks for the update...
    bake errors are gone... thats great...

Im sorry to say the mudbox naming does not work...
    i had to rename all textures to _u1_v1
    your naming with .u1_v1 wont work
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops.  I'll fix that right away.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu new build posted, but the version number is the same.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thanks its working now...

• mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Folks,

As a small thank you to the people on the thread, for their feedback and help, I'm posting a coupon for 50% the individual mighty bake license.  It's first come first serve for up to 5 users.

If you enter the code mbthankspolycount, you'll get 50% off a single license.  

• Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hi Mightybake,

I just tried your tool and I like the AO results.

Now I understand that the envelope is not the same as a cage, it basically a blocker. That is unfortunate since a cage is must have still for me.
    Maybe you can consider adding a cage in the future.

The tool is really nice to use, though.
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome! Justt bought it for the UDIM support.
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    if it could bake diffuse either from vertex color or base texture I would buy it in a minute. There isn't any baker out there to transfer udims to udims that aren't crashy as hell or slow... A bake queue would be awesome too and Linux support would be even better hehe.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'd still buy this if it had a Linux version. I'm even willing to help with the port if you're interested.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    It can bake vertex colours, haven't tried it from poly paint, but it says it's supported. I have tried vert colours out of Maya and that bakes fine though.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @prime8 thanks for trying it out!  

do you mean a cage like x-normal?  What is the functionality you are looking for?  Is it the ability to control the transfer direction on each poly using matching meshes or is it something else?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @fr0gg1e it can currently transfer vertex colours.  I'll add the transfer base texture to the feature request list.

What at do you want to see in terms of a bake queue?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Go here and click the big orange download button and follow the instructions that are here to make a bootable USB disk. You're going to want to do a regular old bare metal installation for GPU purposes, so reboot your computer, mash keys until you get a BIOS menu or a boot menu, and figure out how to get your BIOS to boot from the USB stick. Once it's booted up run the installer and follow the instructions. I recommend installing on an unused hard disk if you have one around--even an external HDD will work OK although it might be slower. This avoids complications that can arise when Windows updates and overwrites the GRUB bootloader, leaving you only able to boot Windows until you install the bootloader again from the USB stick.

Once the installation completes you'll probably want to install some packages for development purposes. You'll probably want to add some third-party repositories like Mono and up-to-date proprietary graphics drivers (currently Nvidia only). You should probably also test on an AMD card although I'm afraid I can't help you much there as I haven't run one since several years ago. These can both be added in the Ubuntu Software Center GUI in the Software Sources window which you can get to in the menu bar at the top of the screen. There's also a tool in the Software Sources (I think it's on the first tab) to find the fastest mirror for packages which I recommend doing ASAP. Or, you can use the terminal which is usually what the instructions are for because it's more distro-independent. On the terminal you can search for packages that contain libraries you need with $ apt-cache search.

I recommend developing the port against Ubuntu, then for distribution you should build and test against the Steam runtime which is compatible with many, many distroes. I'd recommend mostly statically linking or bundling things that aren't in the Steam runtime. Look at Foundry products and 3D Coat for inspiration, because they do it right. Also, you should probably test against CentOS 7 as well because it's binary-compatible with the distro that many flim studios use (RHEL) and you will therefore probably want to get it running against that.

If you run into problems please give me a ping. The chances are good that I've run into something similar before. Also, try Google and the Arch Linux wiki. Not everything is compatible between Arch and Ubuntu but there's some good troubleshooting information there. Good luck.
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    @prime8 thanks for trying it out!  

do you mean a cage like x-normal?  What is the functionality you are looking for?  Is it the ability to control the transfer direction on each poly using matching meshes or is it something else?
    Yes, like an xnormal cage, there are other who can describe the function much better than me :)  http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking#Cages
    It might become less and less important in the future, but as long as hard edges are used it's needed.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    There is an option in mighty bake to use surface normals (the ones in the file) or use geometry normals (a smoothed version of the mesh). Geometry normals may give you what you want.  But if you want fine control of corners, a cage is probably needed.

to add a cage, it would only be usable by triangulated meshes where the cage had the same topology as the low poly.  Does that work for you?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo users - is there any features that would help you or does Modo 901 pretty much take care of all your baking needs?
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 we use hard and soft edges on all our models and composite the maps together with geo and surface normals to remove distortion. MightyBake is actually way easier to work with in that respect compared to xNormal, imo anyways.

The feature some people might want is actually this, we don't need it specifically for our project, but it is the main difference between MB and xN when it comes to cages/envelopes.

• fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    @fr0gg1e it can currently transfer vertex colours.  I'll add the transfer base texture to the feature request list.

What at do you want to see in terms of a bake queue?

Oh just a way to bake multiple objects / batch bake things.
    IE slot 1, High object / low object(s) / cage and maps settings, slot 2 same, and so on...Hit Bake and let it run in the background. I have 2 computers at work so I can queue lots of objects and let it run in the "background" or at night for heavy meshes.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Modo users - is there any features that would help you or does Modo 901 pretty much take care of all your baking needs?
    I didn't try your tool yet.  But as a Modo user, I usually only bake in it to take advantage of the Rounded Edge Shader. I use Substance tools otherwise, with the match by name feature it's really easy and fast to get a clean bakes.

The UDIM support that you have going got me really curious about your software though, will keep an eye out.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tzur_H We just added name matching in the last release.  I'm just finalizing our rounded edge solution which will be out next release. If you try it out, please post if you find something that blocks or frustrates you so we can fix it.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for those Linux users - I just compiled MightyBake on Ubuntu for the first time.  Have to resolve a few platform issues but it's looking good so far.  I will keep the thread updated as we get close to a preview release.

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Thank you, I tried "geometry normals" on a simpler model and received the pretty much the same result as with a cage from xnormal.
    If I use a cage I have to triangulate anyway, therefore that wouldn't be an issue for any cage user I guess.

I'll keep an eye on Mightbake for sure.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more linux progress, the UI is now fully functional. Tracing is functional, just need the GPU to cooperate.

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    So it works on the CPU as far as you can tell?
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @JedTheKrampusWell, the CPU works fine. I can't test the GPU.  My VMWare Ubuntu doesn't support OpenGL 3.3 without building my own graphics driver.  I tried for two days to get it to work, but alas, I couldn't figure it out. I will go back to working on features for the moment, and come back to this when I can get a new machine that runs linux exclusively or VMWare updates it's drivers.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Much love for linux support; if you need testers I've got manjaro installed (AMD 7870, can try proprietary or open source drivers).
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Would love to make a request for maps to bake in order to integrate with Substance Painter:   Reverse Ambient Occlusion (thickness)  and World Position.

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said before, it should be totally doable to install Linux on a cheap external hard drive or even on a regular old flash drive (although not the flash drive you've used for booting.) Get one 2gb or 4gb flash drive for the installation and one 32gb or 64gb flash drive for the development (or less if you notice your current VM takes up 16gb) and as long as your motherboard can boot from USB you should be golden. You can run the Linux installation from the flash drive and just keep it on your key ring when you don't need it and bust it out again for new releases. That's about $14 in storage costs if you use flash drives and you live near a Microcenter. If you're worried about nuking your Windows installation accidentally you can unplug the drive, although it 99.9% won't get nuked unless you accidentally click the wrong drive to install it on. Or, if you have two graphics cards and your motherboard supports IOMMU you could try VGA passthrough, although that's a lot more complicated to set up.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @JedTheKrampus Thanks for the suggestion.. I've got it up and running on Linux.  It's a little bit slower than the PC version, but that will improve as i fine tune the CPU / compiler options.  I will post a version up on the site soon.  It will be a preview, but still work with all the existing licenses.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @2bytes World Do you have a reference for the thickness?  Is it just reverse AO?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking forward to it. I bet the CPU-only Mightybake is still way better than running 32-bit xNormal 3.17.16 on Wine.

For translucency maps check out https://steamcommunity.com/app/273390/discussions/0/619568074748698404/ and http://www.gamedev.net/topic/653094-baking-a-local-thickness-map/. It's basically just AO with flipped normals.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @JedTheKrampus Thanks for the link!  MightyBake is a hybrid GPU/CPU baker.  Currently it uses both.  I got OpenGL running on Linux, so it will be hardware accelerated.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @2bytes I've added both worldspace position and a thickness bake.  They will be in the next release which should be later this week.  Let me know what you think.
  • MichaelF
    Offline / Send Message
    MichaelF polycounter lvl 11
    The updates/support is getting crazy. Thanks a lot. It's an awesome baker, and i cannot recommend it enough.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Our hosting site is down at the moment.  This is the second time in a month or so that it's been down.  We are investigating alternate hosting to make sure the server is always up.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    the hosting came back up this afternoon.  We are looking for better hosting now to make sure this doesn't happen again.
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah,  update support will hopefully give you a solid niche in the market,  gives me a lot of confidence after buying it.

Thickness is just Reverse AO.
    World Position  is a gradient from 0-1 all 3 axis.   This is used for creating masks for  dirt close to the ground,  or snow on the top of an object.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a thickness and position bakers added locally.  It can bake real world position and what I'm calling 'normalized position' which is the 0 to 1 map you describe.  Just doing more testing before I release.  

The thickness I've built isn't exactly the same as AO but it's similar.  Unfortunately, it's currently the most expensive map to bake. It does give a good target to optimize though.
  • 2bytes
    Offline / Send Message
    2bytes polycounter lvl 2
    It will doubtless be worth the wait.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, we are having a new bug in 1.4.7
    When you use the high poly export script on a smooth mesh preview in Maya it flattens the model down to polygons and you lose your sub-d model.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    @malcolm Sorry to hear that.  I'll look into it.  Turns out it's an fbx exporter bug.  I've figured out a work around.  I'll include it in the next release.
  • mightybake
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Polycount,

I'm here to announce MightyBake 1.4.8.  Included are several of the features that you have been asking for.  You can download it here.

Version 1.4.8 - Nov 29 2015

• (Feature) Thickness Map - New map type that approximates the internal thickness of objects
    • (Feature) World Position Map - New map type that captures the world space position
    • (Feature) World Position Map - Normalized option to remap the object to 0..1 in each axis
    • (Feature) World Position Map - Axis selection - Choose all or a single axis to bake to allow for use in other packages as needed
    • (Feature) Displacement Map - Normalization option added to displacement map.  Removed the Heightmap option as this was the exact same thing.
    • (Feature) Maya Workflow - High poly mesh export will use the current smoothing setting for smoothed meshes
    • (Preview Feature) Linux Support - Linux beta release (available shortly) for MightyBake on Ubuntu.

The linux binary will up soon (several hours from now), I will post here when it's done.