Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Asset] Modern Gun WIP Thread

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
We (Ironbelly Studios) are working on some cool new weapon packs and we'd love some feedback on the products as we're toiling away. We start our models with a rough shape outline and define all the key moving parts of the weapon, which will become separate meshes.

Here's the first two steps of the process! As we refine the mesh down it will, ideally, look a lot more like our favorite mini-SMG, the Micro-Uzi.

From here we refine the shapes and details of the weapon until we are happy with the rough draft. Our next step, which we'll try to post soon, will be to really hone in on the details and... for those really paying attention... ADD THE TRIGGER :D

Replies

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    We've refined down the details further of the Micro-Uzi, then added the additional stock features. This includes the trigger, stock, and magazine shape. Since the trigger and stock are separate meshes, it's pretty easy to add/remove them and work on them separately.

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Got totally hijacked since we launched on the Unreal store with our pistol pack and have been handling a lot of great requests for additional items. Like more SMGs, assault rifles, and first person arms... anyway, finally got the high quality version of what will be the final Micro-Uzi. All that is left is to add the textures. Take a look!

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the textures all set up! Well, they were set up a while ago, but I took the weekend off :D

Here's our first glamour shot, as it were. Next up we'll rig this into a set of hands/arms so we can see what it looks like in game (or something close to it).

• ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Moar angles of the textures?
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    You want moar! WE GOT MOAR :D

This one has some jaggies going on- but gives a slightly different angle of the texture.

• ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
  • FreemanH
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @FreemanH and @ZombieDawgs! Here's a new one we're working on! This one isn't really a WIP anymore, as we just recently finished. But I will show some WIP images as well as some finals...

The Beretta M9.

Once again we model each component as its own mesh. You can see all the moving parts here...

And as a breakaway, you can see it here (yes, its a lot of parts!)

Then we put it back together again... :D

Then we finalize and add some incredible 4k PBR textures and presto! The 9mm M9 sidearm as close to reality as we can make it! ... without violating any trademarks :)

• TheKlu
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
    That just look amazing! o.o
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @TheKlu !  We're hard at work on something new! This is our first image of what will eventually be a Remington 870 American Classic.

Not much to look at yet! But we gotta get the general shape of the key components down first before we start molding it into a real gun.
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    The shotgun is coming together nicely! Now it's starting to look more like its real self. We should have something further ready to show really soon. Make this thing full-awesome.

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures have been added to the American Classic!

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on cleaning up that AC... but in the meantime we finished another pistol! The TT-33!

It started here:

And ended here...

Parts view:

Handle texture:

Metal Texture:

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    We're now working hard on an AKS74u, which is a variant of the AK74. Smaller, like sort of a mini assault rifle or oversized SMG. I snagged some good shots of the WIP as we head towards a final mesh.

Just putting the final touches on the high poly mesh, so we should have those by tomorrow. Possibly some textures too, who knows :D
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    It'd be really cool if you could push your textures just that little bit more.

Amazing modelling though, and your textures are still well done :smile: 

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, we'll see if we can get that little extra juice you want from the next one :)

Some high poly untextured meshes as promised for the AKS74u :hushed:

• ekul
    I'm not a huge fan of guns, but well-modelled 3D guns like these are really fun to look at. I appreciate your explanation of the modelling process too!
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Your modelling is really well done, i think we can agree. However your materials and textures are where you need to improve, not saying they are terrible, but with some TLC they could really push your weapons further! :) 

Look at lots of references and try and dissect the intricate details that are there. Add some roughness and spec values, and lower the strength of the normal map.

If you want it to be a new weapon then that is great, but what gives weapons that extra punch is if they have wear and tear on them. e.g scratches, dirt, grime, edge wear, subtle finger print marks etc.

A friend of mine is super awesome at guns and I believe his work would be a great reference for you (he taught me a lot) : https://www.artstation.com/artist/bcog

hope this helps :)  
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    @ekul I appreciate your openness to the art of the object over the object its self!
    @Ross185 Looks like Polycount's new forums jacked up your link - but I figured it out (A regular Sherlock, I am!). That really is some great work he has. We're actually working on some "beat up" versions as well. The goal is we're selling them on asset stores, so starting clean seemed to make sense (you can actually find a couple of these on Unreal/Unity stores already). In theory if things are going well, many will have "1 year" of texture wear versions and "beat to hell" versions. No promises, but I'll see if I can dig up a prototype of that idea we did soon.

Meanwhile, I continue the AKS work! This texture isn't done yet :) It's certainly going to look more worn than the earlier stuff though!

• Daves
    Offline / Send Message
    Daves polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there, i think the material of the body is good but needs some polishing. The magazine + grip could be a bit more glossy(the darker red part). The numbers however look weird...better bake them on the normals, because there not on the sam height/rotated. The edges are a little too scratched, its obvious its based on a curvature map. The scratches on the wooden part are a little too strong (normalmap), but that doesnt look bad, but could be a little more subtle.

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    @Daves yeah that AKS needs a lot of work still. Those two are certainly "WIP" items. Good feedback though.

While my texture guys finish that one up, this is the one I am most excited for... The MP7A1... Now from start to low poly untextured. Its been worked on a lot and from what I have seen, will be a lot more to everyone's call for an "worn" look.

• ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Ah damn, yeah i tested it and it didn't work :| but good detective skills to work it out :P haha I didn't realise you were a company, just had a look at your stuff on the stores and like I said the modelling is great and I understand why you've done new looking guns. I look forward to seeing variety of wear and tear :) 
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @ross185 - Yeah I guess that wasn't clear that I am not solo-doing all this. We've got a great team set up and are really streamlining the creation process. More like this is a showcase of what "Ironbelly" is up to more than what "I" am up to. What "I" am up to is mostly paperwork these days and not quite so much art :( That's why I like to take little breaks on places like here and Artstation to show off and take a breather!

I was out of town quite a bit for the holiday, but the full texture MP7A1 is now ready for showtime!

I think Ross and everyone will agree we've got a little more "character" here for the texture, not quite so "freshly minted" as some of the earlier work.

Close up...

Parts View:

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple more of the Mp7 :smile:

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    And we're getting closer on the AKS74U I posted above! Was pretty excited to see the improvements to the wooden textures. We toned down the wear and tear (again, because the end goal is sale of these assets on third party markets), but its still got some nice effects. Especially on the magazine. We'll see if the more worn looking MP7 has an impact on sales.

More images coming soon. Happy belated Christmas btw to those who celebrate.

• ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Your textures on the mp7 are starting to pay off. If you could just give them a slighty better presentation than just studio lighting - it would once again push it just that extra bit further in making these awesome.
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @ZombieDawgs - I'll see what we can do with sprucing up the lighting of these shots. Maybe a candlelight dinner and the flickering of lightning in the distance... but maybe not.

Seriously though, any suggestions on what lighting approach would make it really shine? Well, not literally shine :)
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a couple more screenshots of the AKS74U, including our "parts breakdown" that we've done for all the other guns.

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope everyone had an awesome winter break!

We finally completed (and launched on the Unreal store) the SCAR Assault Rifle. Certainly one of the most popular assault rifles in modern games, if not the most. I think it has to do with the name :)

I don't have a lot of process pieces on this one. As with the ones above we have separate meshes for all parts (as seen below) and 4k PBR textures.

And here it is all put together again.

I'll post some close ups of the textures soon as well. The challenge with the SCAR (and the XM8 for that matter) is it the matte finish basically looks like its made of plastic in real life. It doesn't use a nice metallic look that is usually associated with guns (See the AKS above). The SCAR does look more gun-like than the XM8, that is for sure. XM8 looks like a toy :) (Warning: IT IS NOT A TOY)
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good, I found some slight areas that are inaccurate are you open to feedback ?
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @skyline5gtr - Absolutely! Feedback it up! We were recently told to make our AK line have movable sights in their models (which we have slotted in as a to-do item later this year, time permitting). So totally open to suggestions both on model, texture, or design accuracy.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9

I'm assuming your going for a realistic representation here are some things I noticed. Going left to right. I used a side pic to better show off the angle

1 - The side Picatinny rail is missing the 2 bolts holes and separation that mount it the the weapon

2 - The beginning or the bolt slider is missing the circle lock position

3 - The saftey and ROF switches aer different on the left and right side. Your model has the right side on the left, since I cannot see the opposite side I cannot say what is going on there

4 - The hand grip is lower and a lot more dense with the texture

5 - The folding stock loops are in the wrong position and the wrong shape, they should be higher and almost half a circle

6 - Missing the numbers for the extendable stock

7- The rear stock should be much thicker and higher then it currently is, also missing the bolt under the strap holder. The Rear stock also has a beveled edge coming from top and down and see you can the crease before the number 6. You are also missing the ridges on the front side of the stock

Some general issues are the edges along the trigger guard and receiver are very sharp and look very low poly like the edges were missed in the bake or something

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that detailed post @skyline5gtr - I've brought this thread to our team's attention and we'll see what we can do about it!
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    modelTesting a little Sketchfab embed magic. I thought it was totally broken still, but apparently just editing posts with existing Sketchfabs are. Some quality is lost in the whole process, but I think it looks pretty sharp still!

model
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    We're back! I know you didn't even know we were gone, but life got really busy, but I finally have time to update this thread with our latest progress.

That progress is... we launched the G18 Pistol onto the Unreal Marketplace! Hurrah!

I had some screens from the development to completion lying around as well as the final screens... so I figure I'll just make a giant post. Thoughts are always appreciated!

Parts View

Color Coded materials

All put together with no textures

Texture time!

Parts View with textures:

Side View:

• ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    Works started on the L86, next up for the marketplace. We're excited to put this light machine gun out there and would love some feedback!